Adjustable Height Scope Rings

I believe only sportsman and fx for adjustable for pcp guns

For Hi quality I use Barret X rings they are 0-15moa or 40 moa , I love these and use them on my tier 1 scopes .

For a very good QD mount , I use them on my Tier 1 scopes LARUE here is link . buy the can mounts they are cheap , intro price and they come in 1 inch 30 , 34 , 35mm , thee are very good and repeatable I do not lose zero , I put them up there with SPUR , and Badger the best .

LOU

https://www.larue.com/category/larue-mounts/scope-mounts/riflescope-mounts/

I'm in the market for 30mm adjustable scope rings / mount for my Impact. Price being no object (I prefer good quality) do you have any recommendations?

I'm also looking to get into a QD setup for my scope, but haven't found any that would also provide adjustable height. 

Cheers!

There are plenty of threads on here regarding the rings and you have a few options starting already, but I wanted to touch on the QD mount for you.

I know you said you are looking for adjustable height mount, but I would suggest that adjustable height may not be necessary depending on why you are asking. Many mounts offer built in fixed adjustment already. When you see a mount and it mentions 20 MOA, 30 MOA, etc, that includes a fixed height adjustment for you. I don’t know how necessary adjustable really is, as you can figure out what adjustment you want and buy it built in with one less thing to possibly go bad. You mentioned that you wanted high end, most rings outside of the airgun rings we see here aren’t height adjustable. Most high end products expect you to have a rail or mount (as mentioned above) to provide a fixed height adjustment like you are looking for. Luckily, the Impact has a pic rail, so your options are open to all shooting disciplines. The people that have to worry more about this are the people with just the dovetail. 

Quick question too. What scope are you planning to mount? I only ask because I can appreciate wanting really nice rings. I use the same high end rings (ARC and NF) from my powder burners on my air rifles when possible. That is partially because I know they will not lose their hold, but also to protect my scopes from bad rings. 

I ask, because I would prefer to understand your needs before recommending something more expensive than is really needed.

@jwrabbit123 - yes sir, those Larue's were exactly what I had been planning to get. Then I pulled the trigger on an Impact and suddenly, I started thinking adjustable height will probably be a higher prio.

@Smok3y - you hit the nail on the head. My 3-15x44 PST II sits fine on the Impact rail for long distance target shooting with the Warne unimount thatt I have for it. I can probably shoot paper out to 150 with it on a clear sunny day. I'm in the market for a longer range FFP (NF with a Horus reticle) and also looking at some other SFP's that would dial much better zeroed out pretty far - my long range target shooting spot is fun to dial for windage and elevation. It would be nice to have the height adjustment so I could zero closer for hunting. Not a fan of shims, but if I had to use them I will.

My first thought would be to go with a mount since you have the Impact and can, and it will have the fixed adjustment built in. Larue is well respected and would be fine. I love ARCs but they are even more overkill for our airguns. 

That being said, it seems like the FX and Sportsmatch get great reviews. I haven’t tried them yet, so I can’t say much. I do have a set of Sportsmatch on the way, because I had to have dovetail rings. One thing about rings instead of a mount, is that they would be more versatile because they could be used on most airguns. You may need that open space if you move to a rifle with a mag under the rings. Or you could just worry about that if you change it up.

Reactions: mtnGhost
@Smok3y - thanks, I forgot about ADR - they make great stuff.

I'm still undecided on the scope that I need. I'd pull the trigger on a longer range NXS if the objective lens could dial down to 25y. I have their 2-10 and it's solid! Not sure if I want to roll the dice with an SHV but the 5-20's dial down to 25y and they meet most of what I'm looking for. I can't say that I'm crazy about the reticle options, I'd lean towards the MOAR - but for reasons beyond the scope of this thread, I'd prefer the MIL-R to it.

I'm super bummed with the Leupolds I looked at. Their quality is garbage now, I checked out a new Mark 6 at a local shop - the department manager and I are cool, so he opened the box for me. One of the turrets locked up while he was checking the adjustment and he had to ship it back. Shortly after, he took another one out of the display case and an o-ring fell out of the turret cap. 

Took a chance not that long ago with this Vortex Viper PST II and I'm happy with it so far. I don't like what I have read about the problems with them though, not that the internet is the sole source of truth. Their warranty is uncomplicated, but at the end of the day I don't like dealing with warranty repairs for items that I can't fix myself. I'd prefer not to have the problems in the first place. Ditto for rings and mounts - I tend to remove my scopes often from the rails, so I'd try and opt for something built well that can withstand being removed and installed more than a few times without wearing out (I have had this happen with cheap stuff before). 

PSTII is a nice scope. I agree with most of what you said and I have a very similar taste in reticles. 

It sounds like you are interested in moving to SFP. I have considered a few NF scopes, ATACR 7-35 and NF Comp but can’t being myself to try them. 7-35 is just too much and the Comp seems to have too many problems. I absolutely loved the Vortex Golden Eagle, but wasn’t a big fan of the ECR reticle. If they would put a MIL-R type reticle in it, I would have several. 

I agree with Leupold not having much to my liking, but the Mark 5HD was a massive hit this year. With the 7-35 being released in the next couple months, I was very excited, but I’m sure it will only focus down to 50-75 yds, so it is out.

Deleted remaining recommendation as it sold.

PSTII is a nice scope. I agree with most of what you said and I have a very similar taste in reticles. 

It sounds like you are interested in moving to SFP. I have considered a few NF scopes, ATACR 7-35 and NF Comp but can’t being myself to try them. 7-35 is just too much and the Comp seems to have too many problems. I absolutely loved the Vortex Golden Eagle, but wasn’t a big fan of the ECR reticle. If they would put a MIL-R type reticle in it, I would have several. 

I agree with Leupold not having much to my liking, but the Mark 5HD was a massive hit this year. With the 7-35 being released in the next couple months, I was very excited, but I’m sure it will only focus down to 50-75 yds, so it is out.

Deleted remaining recommendation as it sold.

Yeah it seems like a tall order in checking all the boxes for a scope like that. It's also tricky justifying some of the prices for the 7-35'ish scopes, but I will often give in to paying the premium after hitting dead ends for lower cost alternatives in similar situations lol

It really is too bad that Leupold's quality isn't where it was even a few years back. I'm sure there's some gems out there, but I just wasn't impressed with what I saw recently. I couldn't help but succumb to superstition after that! 😬

I have the Sportsmatch rings. Nice, but not fond of the method of locking them in and making adjustments. I just bought a set of NCSTAR adjustable rings off eBay for $9 per scope ring (sold singles). They use a screw elevation system where Sportsmatch and FX rely on you lifting the scope and getting it right. like the NC Star better. It is Picatinny only, so if that makes a difference, beware. It's a 30mm ring with a 1 inch insert.

For under $20 for a set, give them a try. If you don't like them, toss them as they aren't that expensive.

I have the Sportsmatch rings. Nice, but not fond of the method of locking them in and making adjustments. I just bought a set of NCSTAR adjustable rings off eBay for $9 per scope ring (sold singles). They use a screw elevation system where Sportsmatch and FX rely on you lifting the scope and getting it right. like the NC Star better. It is Picatinny only, so if that makes a difference, beware. It's a 30mm ring with a 1 inch insert.

For under $20 for a set, give them a try. If you don't like them, toss them as they aren't that expensive.

Bought 3 set of the nc star off eBay work great. Cheaper than the fx and other brands