Adding water inside your CS4?

okay so this one is going to make people laugh at both of us 🤣.. my compressor is the older one, they have two more new ones and I believe they still have mine too.. the new ones are better and more expensive.. the top one is double cylinders and pumps double the air but it is AC only.. not battery or transformer..

so you took apart a fishing reel 🤣 I'm guessing that I was 10 or so and I got the bright idea of taking the spokes off the bicycle wheel, I forgot what I was trying to do, but I think I was trying to put a 3 speed hub on a single speed dirt bike wheel and I ended up with a pile of spokes and the two hubs and rims.. you didn't say what happened with the fishing reel but my grandfather had to get the spokes put back in at the bicycle shop because I couldn't figure out the order and it was definitely not straight.. I was in trouble.. and only allowed to use the spoke tool for tightening up the spokes under supervision 🤣🤣
you'll never make a enemy with me unless you resort to calling me bad words.. or if either of us had something to sell and the money or thing didn't happen.. I don't tolerate being cheated.. lost a lot of money farming because seemingly trustworthy people asked for credit and got hay, but I never got the money.. it was really good hay, OSU said it was the best in Oregon every year in testing.. I couldn't believe it, but they did a complete analysis and since it was so good quality they came out and took soil samples and they wanted all the details and wrote a paper on it to help struggling neighbors farms.. so it benefitted others.. 😊😊
lastly I took have learned a lot from others.. unfortunately two problems.. I have only made a few friends on here and I was very lucky that he was friendly and invited me to shoot with him.. I got to shoot guns I probably can't afford to touch someone else's 🤣🤣🤣
the other thing is I didn't get along good with my generation but most of my friends were my parents age or even grandparents age.. those old timers, best thing to do is ask questions and just listen.. they have seen it all and done it all also they worked harder than most, did without a lot during the depression and well I think we could hope to be half as good and knowledgeable about practical things.. they even know things that are not written down or mapped.. for me it's hard, they have all passed.. I miss them.. fortunately I still have my parents. they mean the world to me.. it's one thing I can't tolerate with the younger generation.. lots could care less about their parents..
ok last part.. hopefully I don't disappoint you.. Rogue River Oregon.. I live 12 miles out of town, end of the road, end of the power line and it's a beautiful forest, similar to where I grew up and lived my life but not rugged and wonderful as where I grew up.. but it is better than where I grew up now comparing the two.. I used to live out of North Fork California.. but way out of I.. just below mammoth pool.. South of Yosemite.. I could ride my horse with or without a string of horses behind me and half a day be on the back side of half dome..I grew up and lived totally off grid..electricity and phone and snow plow ended 13 miles away. also thanks to old maps and old timers I knew where every cave and mine was.. even ones not on the maps.. one even had a old steam engine in front of it and another one had a unique winch donkey and a crusher on opposite ends with the engine in the middle.. so when you grow up like that it's hard to find anything that is as wonderful.. but it's all burned down and the USFS collapse all the mine intrenses they knew about and scrapped all the antiques they found.. but if I compare both places currently this area is better..
if you want to talk about it more you are welcome to PM me and I can send you pictures of the area and continue having great conversations. I hope you enjoy the pictures I tried to attach
Mark

View attachment 442892

Wow, thanks for sharing the pics!! Certainly looks like a little slice of heaven on earth to me. Seeing the cattle tank reminds me of summers as a kid on the farm... the only places I had to swim were the big pond (red clay, never cleared up) and the cattle tank. Used to get a kick out of sliding down in the tank, cooling off, and when a cow or horse would come to get a drink, they would shy away as soon as I moved. Until they got used to me being there, then they would just drink and ignore me, lol. I remember visiting Grant's Pass with my grandparents when I was a kid, but was too young to truly appreciate the area like I know I would today.

The fishing reel went back together without any issues (I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so that has never been an issue). Now, did I ever get the hang of CASTING a bait caster? No. Got so tired of the hornet's nest of line I caused, and never owned a reel like that. (They work great for drop-fishing straight down). One of the mechanical things in life that left me feeling very dumb, lol. My dad sure was good at casting it, though.

Love the spokes story. That's hilarious.

And we feel much the same way about maltreatment and dishonesty. I have tried to pass that along to my kids, but I see such a lack of it in their generation these days. It's really sad to witness.

What's the story behind the critter in the last pic?

• Love
Reactions: markhooper
just a quick reply this time.. stock tank is my toy blue heeler swimming pool 🤣 I used to cast with the open face reel fishing with Grandpa and have too much trouble with the enclosed reels 🤣🤣 opposite of you..
I was very young when I took the wheels apart.. before I learned how to reassemble things.. I started out taking apart old busted things and slowly learned to put together.. later on in life I built sliding axle hydraulic lowbed rollback trailers.. no plans, just pictures in my head.. I really like pictures and I normally fix things that I don't know how they work just by the exploded parts diagram..
yes young generation is sad, but even worse with the economy they don't have the opportunity we had..
and the bear climbed over the 6 ft no climb fence into the yard to check out the garbage pit.. food scraps and he tried it twice but decided it was too much work for a few banana peeps🤣 trail camera caught him.. I'm surprised with his size that I can't tell where he got over but tracking prints, near our tilled in vegetable garden.. 🤔 was he waiting for the gate to open so he could go home 🤣🤣🤣
Mark

Reactions: F6Hawk
just a quick reply this time.. stock tank is my toy blue heeler swimming pool 🤣 I used to cast with the open face reel fishing with Grandpa and have too much trouble with the enclosed reels 🤣🤣 opposite of you..
I was very young when I took the wheels apart.. before I learned how to reassemble things.. I started out taking apart old busted things and slowly learned to put together.. later on in life I built sliding axle hydraulic lowbed rollback trailers.. no plans, just pictures in my head.. I really like pictures and I normally fix things that I don't know how they work just by the exploded parts diagram..
yes young generation is sad, but even worse with the economy they don't have the opportunity we had..
and the bear climbed over the 6 ft no climb fence into the yard to check out the garbage pit.. food scraps and he tried it twice but decided it was too much work for a few banana peeps🤣 trail camera caught him.. I'm surprised with his size that I can't tell where he got over but tracking prints, near our tilled in vegetable garden.. 🤔 was he waiting for the gate to open so he could go home 🤣🤣🤣
Mark
I'm vegan most of my life, prior vegetarian, so all the animals are pretty much safe, unless I see a ground squirrel or rattlesnake.. then it's open season 😀
Mark

• Haha
I took it apart because that is what I do. (Did the same thing when I bought my brand new ECM Synchronika espresso machine last year, and most everything I buy smaller than a vehicle) IOT understand fully how a machine works, and what "right" looks like during its operation, I need to see the internals. (Had I found a good YT video on disassembly/assembly, I wouldn't have had to take mine apart, but I never found one to my liking.)

No, the grease from the pot NEVER touches the bearings. Impossible, unless you blow out the bottom of the cylinder casing. The grease from the pot is pushed into the gap between the piston and the cylinder wall, and friction from the rubber spreads it all over the cylinder walls. And yes, water (humidity) can exist in there as well, but it doesn't mix with the grease, it gets forced out the exhaust. But if you took your cylinder apart after an hour run, you'd likely see beads of condensation on the metal parts of the piston itself.

If you removed the grease pot and the diaphragm, it would become the air intake; it is plumbed in the same location as the actual air intake.

View attachment 442741

And no, the bearings are NOT brass bushings, they are high-quality needle bearings. Which are lubed at assembly with the same silicone/food grade grease that's in the pot, but the only way to re-lube them is to take the cylinder assembly OFF and lube them by hand. It is impossible for the grease to get from the pot, travel down the cylinder walls, escape the big O-ring between the piston and cylinder wall, and leak into the crankcase housing. The ONLY thing that can get into the crankcase of a properly-functioning unit is ambient air from the vent at the back.

View attachment 442743

View attachment 442744

View attachment 442745

View attachment 442747

Look, if you don't want to trust the manufacturer's guidance to flush the cylinder with water, don't. The worst that will happen is you'll develop a leak that requires disassembly and cleaning (a rather simple task, really). But why would someone who makes such a fine compressor (thus far) and give instructions that would ruin it? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Great pics of the inner workings. Can I ask sir, is the connecting rod in your CS4 steel or aluminum? Reason I ask is in the pics it would seem to be covered with a slight coating of rust. Is that what I'm seeing or is the rod just that color from the factory?

Thx
Ray

Great pics of the inner workings. Can I ask sir, is the connecting rod in your CS4 steel or aluminum? Reason I ask is in the pics it would seem to be covered with a slight coating of rust. Is that what I'm seeing or is the rod just that color from the factory?

Thx
Ray
It seems like some sort of bronze-colored coating. Wasn't rust, as it didn't rub off on my fingers. If you look at this pic, you can see the shiny metal on the sides of the shaft:

1709768187769.png

Just a guess, but I'd say steel, based on the other components, though I did not remove the rod and am unable to gauge the heft of it, sorry.

It seems like some sort of bronze-colored coating. Wasn't rust, as it didn't rub off on my fingers. If you look at this pic, you can see the shiny metal on the sides of the shaft:

View attachment 443120

Just a guess, but I'd say steel, based on the other components, though I did not remove the rod and am unable to gauge the heft of it, sorry.
magnetic will tell you if it is steel or not.. next time you work on it.. just another thing on the list to find out 😁

• Love
Y'all gonna make me tear it down soon again, aintchas?
well since you are able, and like to.. are not you being drafted 🤣🤣 honestly my Omega trail charger has been perfect for 8 years.. and I don't plan on tearing it down until I need to rebuild it.. I have rebuilt too many engines, transmission, several single stage compressors and a couple two stage compressors.. even converted I think two AC compressor off a truck into air compressor.. ran them off a small gas engine just off idle with a larger pulley on the engine and used the compressor clutch to cycle it with the pressure switch.. worked really well.. I wish I could have gotten around to converting one into a steam engine.. I used to weld up pressure vessels and I have built several boilers so it would have been nice to have my own full size small steam engine.. being disabled and retired, I really hope someday I will be able to get a few one lung engines.. they have always been my favorite exhibit at farm shows..
going to have to admit I have been really busy lately, normally I am only up and around for 2-3 hours a day.. been fighting cancer.. and well I go to surgery next week and I'm trying to get everything done so it will be ok for my parents since I will be laid up for at least a month if all goes well.. I hope to get a little bit of shooting in hopefully after the first week.. I've usually been on the forum, when I am just miserable and can't sleep but I haven't fired a shot im guessing in at least a month..
also sorry if I upset anyone here.. it's easy to do when you are in a lot of pain.. I wish you all well and happy shooting..
Mark

Reactions: Grey-Kiwi
so can I put in a request for some more pictures? id like to see you pull the head, especially since you think it just has the cooling system in the head, you might determine that it is actually for cooling the head itself or since I didn't see any high pressure coil of tubing to cool the air between stages, it is possible the cooling is not just to cool the compressor but to cool the air between the stages..
id sure like to see from the top end how they have 4 stages I think you said? I know they have to have at least 3 stages.. and valves between each stage.. could easily be a piston inside a piston.. I'd be surprised if it was a double stroke setup.. so it must be several different sizes of pistons inside the main cylinder..
another reason I don't tear down a working compressor is I'd have to buy a seal kit I'd assume.. at least that's the way most things are..
but please as you tear down it.. a few more pictures would be great 😃
Mark

so can I put in a request for some more pictures? id like to see you pull the head, especially since you think it just has the cooling system in the head, you might determine that it is actually for cooling the head itself or since I didn't see any high pressure coil of tubing to cool the air between stages, it is possible the cooling is not just to cool the compressor but to cool the air between the stages..
id sure like to see from the top end how they have 4 stages I think you said? I know they have to have at least 3 stages.. and valves between each stage.. could easily be a piston inside a piston.. I'd be surprised if it was a double stroke setup.. so it must be several different sizes of pistons inside the main cylinder..
another reason I don't tear down a working compressor is I'd have to buy a seal kit I'd assume.. at least that's the way most things are..
but please as you tear down it.. a few more pictures would be great 😃
Mark
Would be super nice if someone would do a complete break-down rebuild video from start to finish so we could all benefit from their knowledge.
Ray

well since you are able, and like to.. are not you being drafted 🤣🤣 honestly my Omega trail charger has been perfect for 8 years.. and I don't plan on tearing it down until I need to rebuild it.. I have rebuilt too many engines, transmission, several single stage compressors and a couple two stage compressors.. even converted I think two AC compressor off a truck into air compressor.. ran them off a small gas engine just off idle with a larger pulley on the engine and used the compressor clutch to cycle it with the pressure switch.. worked really well.. I wish I could have gotten around to converting one into a steam engine.. I used to weld up pressure vessels and I have built several boilers so it would have been nice to have my own full size small steam engine.. being disabled and retired, I really hope someday I will be able to get a few one lung engines.. they have always been my favorite exhibit at farm shows..
going to have to admit I have been really busy lately, normally I am only up and around for 2-3 hours a day.. been fighting cancer.. and well I go to surgery next week and I'm trying to get everything done so it will be ok for my parents since I will be laid up for at least a month if all goes well.. I hope to get a little bit of shooting in hopefully after the first week.. I've usually been on the forum, when I am just miserable and can't sleep but I haven't fired a shot im guessing in at least a month..
also sorry if I upset anyone here.. it's easy to do when you are in a lot of pain.. I wish you all well and happy shooting..
Mark
Feel better buddy and God speed to healthiness!!