Added a shooting bench to the yard

A buddy already had the top just laying out in his yard and said if I can get it in the truck I could have it.

About $20 in cinder blocks, a couple tubes of construction adhesive and the help of a neighbor to place the top.

The funny thing is the wife didn’t even blink when I told her what I was doing.

Will at some point paint/seal it. And recommendations on a paint/sealer that will withstand the direct Southern California sun? It destroys everything out here in the desert.
A816FA2F-A179-432F-A111-DAB135FEC6BB.jpeg

That looks rock solid! Can we see a picture of the back end? Personally, I wouldn't paint it. Looks great as is!
It is eight full blocks and eight half blocks. Word of caution, the half blocks were slightly shorter than the full blocks. Guessing two different manufacturers?

The two “walls” are not inter locked but are glued together with masonry adhesive.

I have it off set to one side to give myself more room and don’t plan on being left handed anytime soon.

Now for the twist. My wife mentioned how she thinks a pizza oven would work perfectly on top of the bench. I should have known she had been overly enthusiastic about it. 😂

F6B092CD-9D67-4A3A-9A69-890424503F23.jpeg

FB6955C4-E873-4EED-B11F-38BC68083CF4.jpeg

946B9C59-6D93-4C0E-83C8-960741B6D829.jpeg

563AA761-FC97-4DC2-BA10-50A44918CACD.jpeg

Looks great! I have have a shooting bench on my side porch which has a fabric roof. The bench top is 3/4 plywood and it has 3/4 pipe legs. Not nearly as sturdy as yours and it moves a little. But it is still very nice to have a bench set up and ready to use. The porch is small and I have to move the bench if a right shoulder shooter wants to shoot so concrete would be tough. But your setup looks nice.

I put a grill cover over my bench and I slide my stool under the cover too. Sometimes I just leave it on the bench when I shoot. I don't think your concrete really needs protection but if you disagree you might just put a grill cover over it.

Rock solid!
A good bench can make your day.

That looks like a great bench!

Shooting off concrete is the about the ultimate imo.

No real bench rest close to home so I usually have to shoot off the hood of a truck or rest the barrel over a nice solid rock. (yea a bit of bragging and complaining, just can't shoot outside at home.)

Technically you are now required to build a pizza oven since you built the bench rest first.
Afterall what are you going to do while the pizza cooks?

Last edited:
It is eight full blocks and eight half blocks. Word of caution, the half blocks were slightly shorter than the full blocks. Guessing two different manufacturers?

The two “walls” are not inter locked but are glued together with masonry adhesive.

I have it off set to one side to give myself more room and don’t plan on being left handed anytime soon.

Now for the twist. My wife mentioned how she thinks a pizza oven would work perfectly on top of the bench. I should have known she had been overly enthusiastic about it. 😂

View attachment 330093

View attachment 330094

View attachment 330095

View attachment 330096
What will you use for a chair