• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Acecare NON DOT tanks. Noob asking pros and cons

Hello,

To be upfront, I have been shooting firearms since I was a kid but just recently delved in the PCP airgun world so please bare with my ignorance. In the interest of brevity my question is other than the fact that a scuba or paintball shop wont fill them what are the down sides to non dot approved tanks? Has any one had any first hand experience with tanks made in china particularly from acecare? I am eyeing the 9L non dot tank but will probably land on the 6.8L if no one has any horror stories of thanks exploding. I also plan on filling it in several 30min or so sessions with my Chinese made eBay compressor (knock off yong heng). I may be delusional thinking my compressor will accomplish this but I don't see why it would not as long as I don't over work it. It filled my 68CI tank with little trouble so I think with several sessions it will fill this one. But again looking for any guidance. Thanks for your time.

I have a 6.8-litre bottle that has a different brand than Acecare. It has the brand name Metal on the label. It was supplied by Acecare but they were out of stock with that brand name so they asked if it was ok if I would take one of their other brands. As they are all made at the same place it didn't make any difference to me. I assume that they go by a whole range of brands and sell through multiple companies to different markets all over the world. I wouldn't be surprised if they supplied companies like Scot and Drager. Anyhow the quality is first class, equal to or better than my Luxfer branded one. If you are going to fill your bottle yourself as you say, I say go for it. I fill and top-off mine with a YH pump without problems(so far). I found it cheaper to get a basic DIN valve from a different supplier AUD$27 because I have my own filling accessories but if you need that stuff it may be better to buy the package deal.

+1 on the tanks being great, but the valves are bad. At first I wasn't crazy about flow restricted valves on other tanks, but after using one of the cheap Chinese ones I have come to recognize their value and safety of restricted flow. Only took one time of filling too fast to scare me out of filling directly with the crappy valve. Could also be user error, but the valves are crappy. I no longer fill directly from the Acecare bottle with crappy valve, I only decant to a guppy.

+1 on the tanks being great, but the valves are bad. At first I wasn't crazy about flow restricted valves on other tanks, but after using one of the cheap Chinese ones I have come to recognize their value and safety of restricted flow. Only took one time of filling too fast to scare me out of filling directly with the crappy valve. Could also be user error, but the valves are crappy. I no longer fill directly from the Acecare bottle with crappy valve, I only decant to a guppy.

Please tell us why the valve is crappy. You say it's crap but don't give a reason. Have the valve broke on you or something. Was it made cheap from plastic and will not withstand 4500 psi? Cause I've been using the same valve that came with the tank and I have no problem with it. It has 2 gauges. One tells the pressure inside the tank while one tells the pressure going out. The only thing I don't like is it's in mpa. But easy translate to bar. 30 mpa is 300 bar. There is no slow fill restrictions. It's like a tap water valve. You open slowly for slow flow and open wide for fast flow. I have no problem opening it slowly to fill my guns. What's the rush to open it fast and overfill your guns? Imo it was user error. You opened it too fast and overfilling your gun. Not the valves being crappy. A crappy valve would be one that would break easy cause it's made of cheap materials. I always fill my tank to 4500 psi and never did the valve given up and brust on me.

Have my ACE Care 6.8L now for close to a year. Use a YH to fill it to 4200 PSI.

Tanks looks to be very well made.

The gauge reading the pressure going out/bad went bad about 3-4 months.

Val - That's been my experience with valve/gauge not holding it.

As to who makes a spare/replacement, By way of referral I bought a spare from Ebay (6000PSI CGA347 Paintball HPA PCP SCBA Fill Station Charging Adapter w/ 24" Hose).

Brand name on paper work was SPUNKY.

Haven't used it yet. If and when the other gauge gives out will change it over.

Have my ACE Care 6.8L now for close to a year. Use a YH to fill it to 4200 PSI.

Tanks looks to be very well made.

The gauge reading the pressure going out/bad went bad about 3-4 months.

Val - That's been my experience with valve/gauge not holding it.

As to who makes a spare/replacement, By way of referral I bought a spare from Ebay (6000PSI CGA347 Paintball HPA PCP SCBA Fill Station Charging Adapter w/ 24" Hose).

Brand name on paper work was SPUNKY.

Haven't used it yet. If and when the other gauge gives out will change it over.

That CGA347 adapter may not work on an Acecare main tank valve. The connection between the fill station and the main tank valve on an Acecare usually follows the European standard G5/8 (DIN300). The connection to the fill station is female on the DIN300 main tank valve. CGA347 fill stations expect a male connection like found on SCBA (Fire Fighting) main valves.