• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Accurate shots per fill for hunting purposes

After installing a Huma regulator on my Evanix Rainstorm II .30 Cal the next step is to know how many trustable shots per fill you can get if you shoot at 100 yards.

I think this is the best way to get to know how many trustable hunting shots you still have in your rifle.

This is the result I obtained shooting at 100 yards.

Aiming at the cross at the top and in the middle there are 8 shots.

Aiming at the cross at the bottom in the middle there are 9 shots. Shot 17th is the lower and a little bit to the right.

Shot 18th was aimed at the cross in the right in the center of the sheet and hit low and to the right:

IMG_20210422_110301303_HDR.1619107970.jpg

I'm not sure what you're trying to say? 

The information provided is minimal/insufficient to make any sort of assessment about your shot string.

You haven't told us what grain .30 pellet you're shooting?

What FPS?

What was your base line?

What your regulator is set at?

Is you gun able to adjust the hammer spring?

Are you able to increase the port size air flow?

What was your stock shot string?

Where (at what FPS) did your gun shoot it's best?

Or were you just telling us you have 17 useable shots???

At the end, that I only have 16 shots that are "accurate"

The rifle, after installing the regulator is shooting the JSB's 44.75 grains at 795 fps.

The increase of fps is marginal with the hammer tension.

Before the Huma, this rifle was a 80 foot pounds rifle with just 9 accurate and usable shots per fill.

The conclusion, I assume is:

The Huma doubles the accurate shot per fill but reduces the power in 25%.

The must important point to notice is that when you mount a regulator on a non regulated rifle, you can get more constant shots and more accuracy, but you will sacrifice power.

I would say MAYBE "more accuracy over the entire shot string" but NOT "more accuracy". Unregulated guns can be just as accurate as regulated guns, but generally over a much narrower number of shots.

The must important point to notice is that when you mount a regulator on a non regulated rifle, you can get more constant shots and more accuracy, but you will sacrifice power.

I would say MAYBE "more accuracy over the entire shot string" but NOT "more accuracy". Unregulated guns can be just as accurate as unregulated guns, but generally over a much narrower number of shots.

Agree!

In my opinion if you want a regulated rifle is better that all the internals (transfer port, valve, plenum, hammer spring, et all) of the rifle were designed for working regulated.

i'd say you got enough shots to eliminate an entire herd if they got enough kick to be reliable on what your after way out there .. for 100 though thats quite impressive even for the average firearm as long as you have the compensation down to hit everything 'in-between' 20 and 100 ... likely if your zeroed at 100 its about 2' out at 40 ... thats why i dont mess with the long range stuff when hunting, it can be done im sure with a real accurate gun sitting at a bench, but on the fly in variable conditions you got to be good ..better than i am anyway thats for dam sure lol ..

What is the hunting use for a PCP? Other than a big custom pushing 1000 ft/lbs... In what scenario do you choose an airgun over a firearm? I can see for killing pests in and around barns, etc., but I can't think of any hunting application where I'd choose one.

For big game, in terms of approach is similar to hunting with bow and arrow, but you are much more precise, so if you are responsible, you will let less animals hurt than with bow and arrow.

You need to be closer than 50 yards, you have to wait for the precise moment to shoot. Is much more challenge that with firearms. 

And you can record your shot if you mount your camcorder over the scope. As there's no recoil, the record of the moment lasts forever. You can not do that with firearms.

I have cut the most of the picture to no be removed of this forum (not the hunting one), but you can still see how to mount the camcorder over the scope to record your shots when hunting:
IMG_20200105_1813384132.1619137702.jpg