Accurate, inexpensive, springer with adj. iron sights - what do you recommend?

I’m looking for a low cost spring air rifle for dispatching rattle snakes in my yard. Range is 7 to 12 feet. .25 caliber would probably be good, or at least .22 caliber. I think that a scope may be useless at such a close range, wouldn’t it?

I’m thinking that an accurate, single-shot, spring air rifle with adjustable iron sights would be just the ticket. And good options for this that you might recommend?

Check out the HW50S 0.22. It’s accurate, great trigger, light, not hold sensitive and would have no problem taking care of snakes at around 12 ft lb of energy. You can get one from Krale for less than $300, including shipping. 

This will be my next springer in .177. I have a Beeman R7/ HW30 .177 at 6+ ft lb, that I love. I plan on using the HW50S for pesting and small game. 

Good luck!

https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/weihrauch-hw50-s-9231.html

I started off with pumpers then went to break barrels , I like pumpers better I used to have a crossman 1400 it was awesome gun in its era , plus if i remember correctly they were less violent to shoot .plus with pump you have varying speeds with is nice compared to a break barrel . you can go very low power like 1 or 2 pumps to full power 10 or so , Id go for 22 or 25 cal I agree .

A good eye hoe is the way to go for rattle snakes. They cannot strike more than 1/2 their length. My spouses favorite tool for snakes is the riding mower. ;)

Really though a BB placed through the head between the eyes is fatal instantly. A Crossman Pumpmaster does the job nicely at the range you state.

Do take note a dead rattler is still VERY dangerous so handle with great caution.

Another method is to take 2 6 foot long 1/2 X 1.5" boards, lay one on top of the other and join the two 6 inches from one end with a drywall screw. This makes a scissor of a sort which you can use to "grab" the snake just behind the head. Once clamped in such a manner use anything at hand to crush the head. The venom however stays toxic for some time so disposal method is important.

Thanks... lots of good suggestions. I’ve dealt with at least a half dozen rattlers on my patio in 5 years or so and a few more at close neighbors houses. I like the 12 ga. Shotgun because they are extremely effective AND so fun to shoot. But there is one neighbor who isn’t keen on having any gunfire going on and I don’t need the Sheriff visiting. So, I’ve decided to switch from shotgun to pellet.

Yes, I know how dangerous these critters are, that head can bite even some time after being separated from its body! I take rattlers very seriously. With my precious dogs and family, I will not tolerate one being any where near my property.

Though the range is typically less than 12 feet or so to a rattler, if I’m going to buy an inexpensive pellet rifle for the job, perhaps buying one that would be fun and very accurate for targets out to 25 yards would make sense. Weihrauch HW30S or 50 or 95 are possibilities. I definitely want some quality adjustable iron sights as I think that would be best for the rattlers at 7 to 12 feet or so. That Walther at $149 is so inexpensive - amazing. Would it be as good as one of the Weihrauch models I mentioned?

I was thinking .22 or .25, but realistically, even a 6fpe .177 to the head of a rattler would likely do the job just about as well, wouldn’t it?

1538257607_15514959415baff2c77cbe44.18741703_20180514_154305.jpg
1538257608_17765431565baff2c8592d28.61299883_20180514_154205.jpg
Here's another idea...the Umarex MP-40 replica. Under 200 bucks,full auto and Loads of fun!

If You miss with that,You'll probably just have to move to Michigan!

Check out the HW50S 0.22. It’s accurate, great trigger, light, not hold sensitive and would have no problem taking care of snakes at around 12 ft lb of energy. You can get one from Krale for less than $300, including shipping. 

This will be my next springer in .177. I have a Beeman R7/ HW30 .177 at 6+ ft lb, that I love. I plan on using the HW50S for pesting and small game. 

Good luck!

https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/weihrauch-hw50-s-9231.html

+1 on this. The hw50 from Krale is an incredible value. 

R

OK.... I’ve upped my budget considerably hoping to combine a pellet rifle I can shoot at very close range AND be well suited to excellent target use and perhaps other pest/vermin use. $1500 or so. I guess that will allow a very nice PCP rifle (I am already set with Omega Air cylinders), but what can I do about being able to shoot rattlers at very close range? (The RW .22HP that I have is a very long, heavy beast and with the 5.5-25x50 Aztec scope on it, close up shots are quite difficult. So, something shorter, lighter, and able to shoot relatively close is what’s needed.)

My reason for changing the parameters is because my need to shooting rattlers is perhaps once a year, but I could use the rifle every day in my back yard for shooting reactive targets and paper at perhaps 25 to 30 yards. So... why not buy one for the daily regular enjoyment, if it can be used close for rattlers? Being quiet is important. 

I know, this opens up a whole ‘nother can o’ worms now. I’m thinking perhaps Bantam Sniper or Wildcat II... I like the abbreviated form factor, but can they somehow be used at very close range also?

Perhaps I should start a different thread regarding combining close range air rifle shooting with longer range sighting.

OK.... I’ve upped my budget considerably hoping to combine a pellet rifle I can shoot at very close range AND be well suited to excellent target use and perhaps other pest/vermin use. $1500 or so. I guess that will allow a very nice PCP rifle (I am already set with Omega Air cylinders), but what can I do about being able to shoot rattlers at very close range? (The RW .22HP that I have is a very long, heavy beast and with the 5.5-25x50 Aztec scope on it, close up shots are quite difficult. So, something shorter, lighter, and able to shoot relatively close is what’s needed.)

My reason for changing the parameters is because my need to shooting rattlers is perhaps once a year, but I could use the rifle every day in my back yard for shooting reactive targets and paper at perhaps 25 to 30 yards. So... why not buy one for the daily regular enjoyment, if it can be used close for rattlers? Being quiet is important. 

I know, this opens up a whole ‘nother can o’ worms now. I’m thinking perhaps Bantam Sniper or Wildcat II... I like the abbreviated form factor, but can they somehow be used at very close range also?

Perhaps I should start a different thread regarding combining close range air rifle shooting with longer range sighting.

A PCP is a big buy-in for your first air rifle. I think an HW50 is still perfect for what you’ll be doing. At 7-12 ft distance I think a .177 HW30 is plenty unless rattle snakes are tougher than I thought.