• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Accurate Entry Gun For Hunting With Easy Flip To Upgrade If I get Hooked

smesh

Jun 18, 2019
CA
Hi Everyone. 

First post on here. I'm from Canada but live in CA now. I am a bowhunter and rifle hunter, with many custom, extremely accurate rifles. I handload, have wildcats and have shot a lot of long range both for hunting and competitions. I hunt pretty much everything. Most of my hunting is out of state, but I do hunt coyotes here and might try some rabbits. I have permission on several farms, and many of them have pigeons and other pests they would like me to take out. I have very accurate rimfires but it would be best to have an airgun for shooting around the buildings and the livestock.

Back in Canada I used to shoot a lot of pigeons with 22 LR, shotguns and in some cases at night for nesting birds using blue lights and 22 LR bird shot so I didn't shoot through the metal roofs. 

So here I am now considering getting a pellet gun but am lost as to what to get.

Since I'm in LA, there are areas close by that are shotgun only, but pellet rifles are also legal, and it would be cool to take some coyotes with a pellet rifle in those areas.

So, what I'm looking for is an accurate, reasonably long range capable pellet rifle that will take critters around the farms without doing damage to say a metal roof if I were to miss from a distance, yet be capable of taking a coyote with a well placed shot to the head out past shotgun range (say out to 100 yards).

Now if money was no object, I'd just get an FX Impact, but I don't know how much I will use it yet, or if the novelty will wear off, and just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on an air rifle. So what I'd like is an affordable air rifle (even used) that is decently accurate and powerful, that is easy to sell and hold its value well if I decide to upgrade later. I was thinking of getting a used Benjamin Marauder or new Hatsan Flash or ? Is .25 going to penetrate metal roofs past 50 yards? I definitely want PCP. I have scuba tanks I can use for air and will always be close enough to the truck for convenient tank fills. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi CM.

I would try to avoid shooting up at roofs at close range from inside the building, and pick shots that had a good wooden backstop or something. I see these guys Like Matt Dubber from AirArmsSA shooting long range pigeons off the top of roofs though and I would think (hope) the angle of the sheet steel roofs would keep the lead bullet from going through, but I really don't know what caliber they are shooting.

I figured there might be an issue with coyotes, so I think for now I'll focus on something I can keep in the truck and pull out at a farm and while coyote hunting with centerfires and shotguns.

So based on that, do you recommend I stick to a .22 or move up to 25? I would like to be able to shoot some decent distance. Also, are these marauders able to shoot higher BC slugs or do I need to move up to a different level gun? Thanks.

Whats kind of frustrating about your requirements is that an FX Dreamline is essentially exactly what you're asking for.

But you're never going to pick one up for used Marauder money. Let me make an argument here briefly though: 

You want dramatically adjustable power to span your range of close-minimal penetration and longer range shooting. The power wheel will do that with good consistency in seconds. 

You want something accurate, really accurate, but you're not sure about caliber and pellets vs. slugs. The Dreamline will let you change your setup relatively inexpensively (liners, probes, etc) and comparatively easily. 

You probably also want a rifle that can grow with you. If you want to develop a new capability later, it'd be annoying to have to sell one gun and buy another, so a gun which can readily be modified/upgraded/whatever might be preferable. 

You might be able to pick up a Dreamline used, but it seems like their owners are holding onto them and like them very much. 

I realize it isn't quite what you asked for, but you're the first case I've seen where I genuinely think a Dreamline is the best option. I'd suggest getting it in .22, as that is a nice casual caliber to get into, easy on air consumption as well, and if you want more power the logical jump is to slugs which is just a liner swap and reg/hammer tune away. A grand plus glass is a big pill to swallow, but I'd point out how remarkable it is that our airguns are this inexpensive at all. If you were going out to buy a sub-MOA capable centerfire rifle how much would you expect to spend? Airguns are actually more complicated to manufacture than firearms, not less. *shrug* 

My one final note is that I too started with a "dip my toes" strategy when it came to getting into airguns. I very quickly outgrew my entry level rifle, and the resale value of said entry level guns tends not to be super great because lots of people start with that strategy, get hooked, and upgrade to a better gun. So you could buy-once cry-once. Alternately, if you really do want to start entry level, I think I might prefer an Umarex Gauntlet if I were you. 

They are popular enough that there are upgrade/alternate parts for them, they've got a nice bottle for lots of shots, they are regulated, and they are cheaper than a Marauder. Just my opinion though on Mrod vs. Gauntlet, I'm not new to this controversy nor do I want to throw fuel on that fire. 

I realize this wasn't exactly the advice you wanted, but I hope at the very least it provides some helpful food for thought. :) 

*I had links in this post to make your life easier, however it appears this forum doesn't allow you to post external links anymore and if you do it'll delete your post? My apologies. :( 

You've got a lot of conflicting needs here that I can't give you a single solution for your problem. Around barns and outbuildings I use an FX streamline or my Daisy 880 in .177 for pigeons, starlings, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks and rats. I can adjust the power level on both to meet the situation. The 880 is pretty much a short range (less than 25 yards) gun. I wouldn't use my .25 Armada, or .30 Wildcat MK2 for that purpose and I'm pretty sure they could cause some real damage to a roof at anything less than a glancing hit. I use those last 2 mostly for groundhogs & if I ever accidentally see a coyote while I have one of those guns. 

It looks like you've already gone down the rabbit hole with Powder Burners, be prepared to do it again with airguns. There are quality airguns that you can get for around 1/2 the price of an Impact, a Dreamline for instance. It would likely be an easy sell under any circumstance. Get one in .177 & the buy the .25 caliber change kit ($400) if available yet, or just get a different configuration Dreamline in .25. There are other air guns out there that will serve either of your purposes but not both with the same gun. Spending that kind of money on air rifles is not like spending it on a bb gun & the quality of high end air guns will rival that of a lot of high end PB's. 

Don't forget that changing calibers on a gun such as an Impact, Wildcat mk2, or Dreamline will require sighting in again.

Good Luck

Paul

You've got a lot of conflicting needs here that I can't give you a single solution for your problem. Around barns and outbuildings I use an FX streamline or my Daisy 880 in .177 for pigeons, starlings, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks and rats. I can adjust the power level on both to meet the situation. The 880 is pretty much a short range (less than 25 yards) gun. I wouldn't use my .25 Armada, or .30 Wildcat MK2 for that purpose and I'm pretty sure they could cause some real damage to a roof at anything less than a glancing hit. I use those last 2 mostly for groundhogs & if I ever accidentally see a coyote while I have one of those guns. 

It looks like you've already gone down the rabbit hole with Powder Burners, be prepared to do it again with airguns. There are quality airguns that you can get for around 1/2 the price of an Impact, a Dreamline for instance. It would likely be an easy sell under any circumstance. Get one in .177 & the buy the .25 caliber change kit ($400) if available yet, or just get a different configuration Dreamline in .25. There are other air guns out there that will serve either of your purposes but not both with the same gun. Spending that kind of money on air rifles is not like spending it on a bb gun & the quality of high end air guns will rival that of a lot of high end PB's. 

Don't forget that changing calibers on a gun such as an Impact, Wildcat mk2, or Dreamline will require sighting in again.

Good Luck

Paul

Okay so perhaps I need an inexpensive, .177 for close range, inside buildings, and something that is better for the long range work at farms, but will also take small game like rabbits, etc. I would want something that is capable of shooting slugs though. I wouldn't even bother shooting pellets out fo the long range rifle. I'll forget coyotes for now and if I decide to go after them with an airgun I'll get a big bore.

I really can't understand how a pellet barrel that's basically a pressed rolled tube, can cost as much or more than a chambered stainless centerfire barrel that is cut or button rifled. But that's another topic. ;)

Will a stock marauder shoot 22 slugs? I searched Google but can't get a definitive answer. I don't really see why anyone would want to shoot pellets for hunting if slugs are available. The cost of slugs seems close to what I would spend on 17 HM2 loaded ammo, but I'm fine with that.

My .25 gen 2 didnt shoot them very well at all, but that was before all the new slug designs. I still dont believe it's the right barrel tho.

Why would you want to shoot slugs when pellets will do? For the close range work it is hard to beat an HW30, yes it is a springer, don't let that scare you. You can go crazy expensive on a PCP and the pigeons won't know the difference.

Sorry. I mean slugs for the second, long range rifle. For the close range inside buildings, .177 pellets would be fine. And for that, I would just get a very inexpensive pellet rifle good enough to take pigeons and small pests inside 25 yards.

For the longer range rifle, I'd rather find one projectile that shoots well and just stick with it. Would it not make most sense to use slugs if not concerned about the cost of the bullets? Seems like that will provide the best accuracy, no?

Hi smesh,

Welcome to the group! Oh boy I don't want to talk, the novelty won't wear, I'm warning you, if you buy one, you will buy many more, they call it the rabbit hole for something.

Here are some options:

- For bird you can go with marauder pistol, you will be able to shot inside too
- Brocock Compatto (Bantam sniper too)
- The classics bullpups (Edgun (any), Taipan, Cricket, Vulcan)

I'm not mentioning the FX because it was already mentioned and I think it's a great option, but these on my list I think will fill the bill, check on the classifieds usually you will find one of those there!

Hope this helps!!!

Hi smesh,

I'm not mentioning the FX because it was already mentioned and I think it's a great option, but these on my list I think will fill the bill, check on the classifieds usually you will find one of those there!

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks Orion.

If money was no object, I would definitely get a FX Impact. Thanks. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the long run, the FX Impact may be your cheapest option.😉

Your dismissing the air aspect too quickly. The scuba tanks generally take a 3K fill. In the case of a Marauder with the standard air tube shooting from 3k fill your second fill will be 2925 psi, your third fill will be 2850 the fourth was about 2750. This is in warm conditions, winter fill in the colder climates these numbers are less. The Marauder relies on a constant fill pressure and you can get a predictable bell curve.The differance with a large tank and a 4500 fill you'll be getting around 60 fills. At 10 -15.00 per fill, plus the gas to and from the largest carbon fiber tank seems to pay for itself. The gauge set up for the scuba is going to set you back from 80-140.00 (used vs new) I cheaped out cutting my teeth with the airguns using what I call the 10/22 mentality with many Marauders. I never came close to recouping what I had in them. Joe Rhea talked to me and said when he was asked what the most expensive airgun he has owned was a Marauder. As others have said with your use you'll need two guns. Some on the forum have had great success with the 30 cal Hatsun. (big heavy and long) Check the specs and figure what type of shooting off hand or rested? Don't be afraid of used, and there are many members here with more guns than fingers, just qualify as to leaks, shot count,other issues? 

Your dismissing the air aspect too quickly. The scuba tanks generally take a 3K fill. In the case of a Marauder with the standard air tube shooting from 3k fill your second fill will be 2925 psi, your third fill will be 2850 the fourth was about 2750. This is in warm conditions, winter fill in the colder climates these numbers are less. The Marauder relies on a constant fill pressure and you can get a predictable bell curve.The differance with a large tank and a 4500 fill you'll be getting around 60 fills. At 10 -15.00 per fill, plus the gas to and from the largest carbon fiber tank seems to pay for itself. The gauge set up for the scuba is going to set you back from 80-140.00 (used vs new) I cheaped out cutting my teeth with the airguns using what I call the 10/22 mentality with many Marauders. I never came close to recouping what I had in them. Joe Rhea talked to me and said when he was asked what the most expensive airgun he has owned was a Marauder. As others have said with your use you'll need two guns. Some on the forum have had great success with the 30 cal Hatsun. (big heavy and long) Check the specs and figure what type of shooting off hand or rested? Don't be afraid of used, and there are many members here with more guns than fingers, just qualify as to leaks, shot count,other issues?

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you. The scuba tanks I have are 3442 psi. I really don't know how well they would work or how many fills I would get, and I still want to be able to use them for actual scuba. My main use for the airgun is farms around buildings and livestock on pigeons and small game, so perhaps I should focus on that for now. I doubt i will use an air rifle on coyotes much anyway. I have centerfires, shotguns and muzzleloaders for that that. I don't have much interest in shooting targets other than to test bullets and sight in. I don't want a gun I have to manually pump up multiple times per shot. For close range light stuff I might get a spring or piston type but I wonder how a break action can maintain accuracy? Now break action pellet rifle I have shot as a kid or a friend's gamo recently shot worth a darn. I have seen some spring/piston type that have fixed barrels that look interesting. Anyway, I know so little about airguns and am getting an education. I certainly didn't realize how many little parts and other things can go wrong or be problematic.