• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Accurate .22 slug shooters?

I'm making a list of rifles that can shoot 25+ grain .22 cal slugs at 950+ fps for "accurate" long range (over 100 yds) target shooting.. Most of the really accurate shooters I've tried just aren't designed for slugs and/or don't have the power for heavier slugs. So far my list includes:

FX Impact / Maverick / Dreamline (?) with the heavy liner (never shot one but plenty of others have)
AEA Challenger Pro (I had one and sold it)
Airforce Condor (what I'm currently shooting but it needs to be externally regulated for consistency)

Surely there are others that belong on this list?

Has anyone tried the AirMaks Katran X HP in .22? From the reviews it sounds like a slug shooter (but with the video reviews you never really know :( ).

Here's my current set up. Airforce Escape (on sale at MidwayUSA for $575), plus a carbon fiber tank I got on Amazon ($150), and a paintball style regulator (4500 psi to 2200 psi) and remote from eBay ($50). Total investment less than $800. I just set it up for the first time on Friday and yesterday I was ringing a 4" gong at 100 yds and then 150 yds without a single miss. I haven't chrony'd it yet, but I'm guessing I'll get 70+ good shots.

Escape tethered bottle.jpg

Yes, I did use a nylon washer behind the hammer spring though 😬. So maybe this disqualifies the Veteran from your list
Dunno bout qualifying for the OPs inclusion.......

As a Vet Long owner and tinkerer, I was just curious if you were getting that much oomph without hitting the valve harder than can be achieved with the OEM setup. Thanks for the clarification.

Back to accurate slug shooter discussion (sorry for the minor derail)

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
Dunno bout qualifying for the OPs inclusion.......

As a Vet Long owner and tinkerer, I was just curious if you were getting that much oomph without hitting the valve harder than can be achieved with the OEM setup. Thanks for the clarification.

Back to accurate slug shooter discussion (sorry for the minor derail)
The regulator is set at 140 bar from the factory and I could not reach the plateau without adding the nylon washers.

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
Has anyone tried the AirMaks Katran X HP in .22? From the reviews it sounds like a slug shooter (but with the video reviews you never really know :( ).

Here's my current set up. Airforce Escape (on sale at MidwayUSA for $575), plus a carbon fiber tank I got on Amazon ($150), and a paintball style regulator (4500 psi to 2200 psi) and remote from eBay ($50). Total investment less than $800. I just set it up for the first time on Friday and yesterday I was ringing a 4" gong at 100 yds and then 150 yds without a single miss. I haven't chrony'd it yet, but I'm guessing I'll get 70+ good shots.

View attachment 272585
I have the Katran X Hp.
JSB redesigned 25.39 and FX 25.4 at 1025fps and accurate out past 100 yards.
Finally got some quality slugs and testing those next.
Got the KRAIT also but waiting foe the 3rd replacement reg. I still like it.

I am going to go out and suggest something I won't ever own again but
Buy a used MK2 impact 700mm , superior heavy liner, complete HUMA internals with extreme pressure reg set to 185 bar
Mine had a 700cc tank, shooting 30.5 zan .218 slugs at 1055 fps making 75 fpe and hitting wiffle balls at 265 yards, powerwheel was only on 3 lmao

Mk2 can be had for reasonable money and it took me about 2 hours to put this rifle together and another 2 to tune it.

@Dragonfist1 owns it now