• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Hello shooters,

I am having a difficult time getting consistent bulls eyes from 25 yrds with my AGD bundled Talon SS .22 and Hawke 4-12X50 scope. At 82 I know I'm not as steady as I was at 18, I don't have this problem with my first gun a Gamo Urban .22. Remounted the scope and tried to zero. After adjusting was hitting 1" bulls eyes consistently. 20 shoots later aim is way off, Re sight in and is good. PSI 2900-2200 refill and today way off target again. Any Ideas ?

Thanks, Bill

Tried Crosman 13.4, JSB 15.89 and Sig Dagger 16.6 so far. I cleaned the barrel when I first got the rifle with ballistol. A month ago I shot 2 cleaning pellets. I just received the rifle back yesterday (After 4 weeks) from Airforce for warranty work. The cocking lever mechanism was broken, Now the safety won't release sometimes. ARGH ! Thanks for the input. Bill

Hello shooters,

I am having a difficult time getting consistent bulls eyes from 25 yrds with my AGD bundled Talon SS .22 and Hawke 4-12X50 scope. At 82 I know I'm not as steady as I was at 18, I don't have this problem with my first gun a Gamo Urban .22. Remounted the scope and tried to zero. After adjusting was hitting 1" bulls eyes consistently. 20 shoots later aim is way off, Re sight in and is good. PSI 2900-2200 refill and today way off target again. Any Ideas ?

Thanks, Bill

I understand about not being as steady and also about standard eye problems associated with age, although you have 21 years on me. (smile)

No matter what I shoot, I always use some sort of rest. My off hand shooting days (if I want to be accurate/precise) are over.

Could it be the difference in length of pull, distance of trigger to grip, etc, etc. Just a thought. For me, that can make or break whether or not I am consistent.

Of course, maintaining the "basics" of trigger control and follow through are also something I have to make a continual conscious effort to maintain.

Sorry, I know I wasn't any help...

Put the scope on the gun that you are consistently accurate with to see if it is the scope. That's all I can think of.

Testing with a chronograph is always worthwhile, but frankly, it would take a huge consistency issue to produce the results you describe. My guess would be the barrel, and I would remove it and clean thoroughly with a rod and brush, and maybe polish with JB paste. I'm not familiar with that rifle, but the pictures seem to show a full length shroud/moderator, so all assembly points should be checked for proper torque and support. 

I have said this now a number of times, but I will repeat myself again for clarity. Before a shooter can effectively practice, as opposed to just wasting ammo, the shooter must know that every miss he experiences is his fault and not the gun.To do that, the shooter must take himself out of the equation. First make certain nothing is loose on the gun including the barrel to breach mount. On many airguns this is an issue. Just a slight knock or even putting the gun into and then out of its carrying case will be enough to cause a POI shift. Then it is the scope, if you have one. Always turn all your turrets lock to lock counting the turns. Then return your turrets to midpoint. Then mount the scope and test fire at close range to see where your mounts point the scope in relation to the barrel. Then shim the scope rings to align the scope line of sight to the barrel line. In this way your scope optics are centered. Only then are you ready to fine adjust the turrets. The same process applies to every other sight system as well. When doing your final sight alignment clamp the gun to a bench so that it cannot move. Then tie a string to the trigger and shoot a few rounds making certain nothing moves. Only then can you be certain the gun is right. Now practice. You now know all the misses are yours and yours alone.

One more point to consider especially if you do pesting at times at close range.The higher the gun sight is over the barrel line, the more difficult the sight is to use at close range. I stated a while back that I tried many different sight systems on my PP700SA and this was a dilemma for me. I ended up using a reflex sight because I could see the target at all ranges regardless of holdover, but it did not resolve the short range issue. I then mounted a small laser close to and parallel to the barrel. That solved the issue.

Almost every airgun (rifle) I've tried, if filled to its max pressure (for example my Royale 500 filled all the way to 220 bar) will have a different POI for the first 3-5 shots & then settle down to its normal accuracy & POI. I've stopped filling to the max pressure, in essence bypassing those 3-5 "off" shots. Now when I fill & check my zero before hunting most times I can literally get hole in hole @ 50 yds on paper. Try filling 20-30 bar less than max & see what happens. Us old guys need something like a Caldwell Dead Shot stand too (think they're made by Bog now). I'm still good with a bipod but even better with the Caldwell dead shot. 

Thanks All,

I can see I've got a huge learning curve ahead. I've read quite a lot about cleaning or not cleaning the barrel, The in's and outs of scope mounting. I do shoot off the first 100 or 200 of PSI to get into the zone, It keeps changing. I have a Caldwell $100 Dollar chrony, I haven't been able to run a long shot string with out errors including the dreaded error 10. I'm going to re-start and go over all the nuts and bolts on the Talon and remount the scope. Many good ideas put forth by you all and I do appreciate them. What I don't understand is why I can shoot the Urban OK and not the Talon SS ? Thanks Again, Bill

If you compare how far your scope is mounted above the bore on your Urban vs the Talon, you might have your answer why you shoot the Urban so well. With how high we have to mount scopes over the bore on all our cool Buck Rodger guns, it doesn’t make them easier to shoot accurately like traditional rifles. At 82 years old, I hope you get the Buck Rodgers reference.

Bill, it looks like your Gamo uses a relatively simple and robust barrel mounting system. The diagram I saw of the Talon, showing its barrel and moderator components, gives me the impression that there are a lot of places for error in assembly and maintenance. I would be less inclined to trust its long term reliability, specifically a dependable, repeatable POI. That said, I have no experience with either rifle, so I may be totally wrong, a condition my wife would say is very predictable!

Here's the Chrony reading for today 2500 psi, Power Wheel 6. 814-811-807-809-802-805-du 01-Err 3-800 and 804 down to 2270 psi. I took the barrel out and re-set it, Checked scope mount screws Etc. Shooting much better using Crosman 14.3 pellets. I think i am going to lighten the trigger some more. Half the problem is me trying to see through my tri-focals might try not wearing them, see what happens. Thanks for all the good idea's. Bill

Here's the Chrony reading for today 2500 psi, Power Wheel 6. 814-811-807-809-802-805-du 01-Err 3-800 and 804 down to 2270 psi. I took the barrel out and re-set it, Checked scope mount screws Etc. Shooting much better using Crosman 14.3 pellets. I think i am going to lighten the trigger some more. Half the problem is me trying to see through my tri-focals might try not wearing them, see what happens. Thanks for all the good idea's. Bill

It's always better to use optics without your corrective lenses, if possible. Sometimes, especially in the field, this is not practical, but in a back yard or bench scenario, it might be better. Either way, the eye piece can be in proper focus for only one, or a small range, of correction. If it works without your glasses, then you know it is consistent every time. At 71, I too have aging eyes, and I find it works better without glasses. 

Crosman 14.3 pellets work in many of my guns indoors just fine but when I get the least amount of wind they get REALLY erratic and the groups open up the worst of any pellets that I shoot. I usually save these pellets for the grandkids to plink with. Try some heavier JSB or AirArms lead. Those two have been the most reliable and shoot the smallest groups in all of my guns.

I would also not rely on the cleaning pellets that you shoot through the gun. Get yourself a $15 Patch Worm pull through cleaning kit.