Accuracy, Spread and Standard Deviation

It all depends on what you want. You mention 30 and 50 yards. You absolutely do not need an extremely tight spread in speed to shoot accurately at 50 yards shooting pellet speed. When you stretch things long range that 25 fps will show itself more. I do the same thing though. The fx pocket chrono is awesome on one hand but it is too convenient and too easy to run all the time and get obsessed with shot to shot consistency. I need to just put that thing away myself.

Im getting under a half inch at 50 yards and hitting eggs at 200 yards with my M3 and i had the same problem with a crazy spread, until i deleted my front reg. Now it takes less reg pressure to achieve the same velocity i was getting my reg set 20 bar higher than it is now. If your going for a power tune i would delete the front reg but if your shooting pellets then you need to find the right balance of hammer valve and reg. I get consistent 3-5fps spreads with my M3 .25.View attachment 360151
I’m kind of beginning to agree with this position having a Maverick myself. I’m beginning to think the dual reg thing is nothing more than marketing crap (kind of like the smooth twist stuff) fx uses to set itself apart from other manufacturers and to get into your pocket. I was having large spreads on my Maverick. I had lowered the front reg to 30 or 40 bar above second. I bumped it back up to near 60 bar above and it seems to work much better now. I don’t think that reg serves much of a purpose.

Obviously an older thread, but just to add for anyone not familiar:

The FX pocket chrono is not exactly the hallmark of accuracy. And my take away from this thread is that the chrono was likely the issue.

Don't get me wrong. I like my FX chrono. I use it often. Because it is super convenient for many reasons and it gives readouts that are "close enough" for my typical needs. However, I have compared it to chronos that are much more accurate, and it pails in comparison. I use my Caldwell Precision for a lot of archery tuning and I can literally watch the readings go up and down just a couple fps as expected as I make small tweaks. Not the case with the FX. And I have no proof of this, but I honestly believe that the firmware on the FX chrono is artificially damping some of the readouts in order to make them appear more consistent...almost like it sometimes is telling you want it thinks you want to see based on previous shots. It's fine for general tuning, but don't use the FX chrono for any sort of benchmark tests.

Little ranty, I know, but there's that.

Reactions: L.Leon