Accuracy problem with .177 FX Crown

I will say this, don’t panic! and do something that may void your warranty... first of all,”if you listen to fx proponents fx barrels are the smoothest of all known to mankind”, 2nd contact dealer where purchased see if they can replace liner or give advise! 3rd make sure what your seeing is actually chips of lead because it can appear this way in most barrels!,if I pull a clean “DRY” patch threw my 4 LW poly barrels it can appear this way also! 3-of these LW’s have been inspected a broken in by Martin Rutterford of RAW! and all of these barrels SHOOT! 

I bought Carbusonic Treadmill Silicone Oil, on E-bay. You can probably use other brands to, as long as it is pure silicone. It only requires very litle amount of it on the felt pad in the pellet thin. The experts would probably say you should wash the pellets first also, for accuracy. But if it is only to prevent fouling lubing only should work.

I used tomcats method of applying it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jXk94CsFnw&t=63s. But I am not as carefull as he is. I just refill the same tin, with some pellets and move the box around some:)

1562167149_8590788925d1cc76db70819.44439549_20190702_204301.jpg

This is a patch after 63 rounds. That little shiny spec is a flake of lead.

I polished the barrel with JB last night. I'm going to try it out again tonight. I'll also try lubing the pellets.

Thanks everyone for the advice. 

Mike

I always polish my barrels. It has never once hurt accuracy. Doesn't always improve accuracy, but makes cleaning much easier. When they'd get as bad as yours was getting....id get after them with a brass brush. Had a wildcat that would get that way. A polishing took care of that. If you need to hit it one more time, do so.

Edit:

Just a thought... It's hard to get the lead out with just pull throughs when it gets as bad as your barrel was. A few passes with a brush wouldn't hurt. You may be surprised that there was some still hanging out in there and polished over it.

I have to second that you are not expecting to much and I am sorry to hear about your problems. Mine is in .22 and is grouping 3 shots in a 3/8 bull at 25 yards for now lol. This only happened after the reg was broken in a velocities became more consistent. Mine was just the reg breaking in. I do hope you get worked out soon. I remember Matt Dubber who just won the rocky mountain competition saying in one of his videos that he didn't even clean one of his barrels. Granted that was a slug barrel. It may be a dumb question but do you have a chronograph and checked for consistency in velocity? If you have i apologize in advance. 

The last groups you achieved is not that bad in my opinion. If you have sorted out the fouling issue, I would leave the barrel alone. It could be the regulator needs to break in as previous mentioned. Also get a chronograph if you do not have one, so you can measure the velocity of the pellets you use, and also where you are in speed in relationship to reg pressure (max speed). Are you using the right pellets? JSB 8 or 10 grains are usually a safe bet. 10 grains would be my choice. Also the factory tune doeas not always have to be the best for the pellet you use. Just measure and write down everything before you start adjusting anything.

My impact which was in .177 when new. It did not shoot that good, even the chrony numbers was good. 10 grains JSB was shooting around 880fps setting 5 on powerwheel. Reg was from factory set at aprox 85-90 bar. Setting on "max" it was doing 990fps. 880 was the slowest I could shoot them as the powerwheel had all slack from setting 4 and down. I later increased the hammerspring to check the true maxspeed which was 990. JSB 8 grains was doing 940, and was already wasting air. It was not until I lowered the velocity with the valve adjuster, that the accuracy increased. I later increased the reg to 115 bar, and adjusted the hammer wheel. In the end it did shoot better on my setting on 880-900 than from factory. 

I think Ernest Rowe said somewhere in a interview, that the adjustable guns has some kind of a standard tune, as the customers will adjust them anyway. Guns like impact, and crown are probably not harmonically tuned from the factory, but are probably just shoot and adjusted over a chrony to get low ES and efficiency, on "standard" speeds, on the highest setting on the wheel. It kind of make sence, as when the reg brakes in, the set pressure might end up 5-10 bar higher (lower?) than set from factory. Combinning that with that customers will adjust them anyway, spending man hours tuning the gun to perfection at factory is probably wasted time anyway. The factory doeas not know what pellet the owner will use either (8 or 10 grains?), so if they had to adjust it for perfection, they had to choose. Some resellers does tune them on theire own, before shiping them to customers. 

I've contacted Pyramyd Air for help. They can't send me a new liner, but they will take the gun back. I hate to do that, just to replace the liner. I have contacted FX service. I think they might be closed today. They are also closed July 12th through 28th for summer vacation. I hope they can resolve this before then.

I do have a chronograph. The gun is very consistent. I haven't recorded the shot strings, but they are well within 5 to 10 fps. I have tried JSB 10.34 at 900 fps, JSB 8.44 at 907 fps, H&N FTT at 905 fps, and CPL at 910 fps. All had similar results. I also tried lubricating the pellets.

I really like the ergonomics, fit and finish of the gun. If I can't get a new FX liner in a reasonable time, I may just buy and fit a Lothar Walther barrel to it. The way the Crown mounts the barrel, it would be a very easy installation.

Thank you all for your support!

Mike