Accuracy issue

Recently got a Gamo Swarm Maxxim 10x. Scope worthless, could not focus. Bought a Hammers with AO starting at 10 yds. With target at 10 yds. using Gamo Tomahawk pellets had it grouping with holes touching. Scope set at 3x and 10 yds. Went to 20 yds. lost grouping, flyers left, right, up and down. Farthest right and left was over 4". Switched to Gamo PBA's, no differance. Tried some German Mauser Diabolo, tighter but still 2". Scope at 9x and 20 yds. AO. I did run a patch before using, no oil or cleaner. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine bought two of these for his kids. They grouped more like scatterguns than my premium rifles, with the best group achievable about 2" at 20 yards. I put them on the chrono and they were shooting way to fast. I fed them some very heavy monster pellets and they shot a little better once we got the fps to below 1100, but still not what most guys on this forum are looking for. My experience is that you have to get a diablo pellet down below 1000 fps to really start to group decently.

My comments are not meant to "look down" on your rifle, as they do serve a great purpose as an introductory firearm for plinking aluminum cans, etc. They just are not designed to shoot as accurate as a Weihrauch, Air Arms, Walther, etc. at three times plus the price.

If you bought the Hammers scope from Amazon, I've had to return three of them due to atrocious packaging. Also the OE on my two Swarms had the parallax set at 35 yards, which meant that it would never focus at the 15 to 25 yards that I shoot at.

I also cleaned the barrels with my usual JB Bore Paste on a brass brush...Hoppes #9...Ballistol...dry patch prior to shooting it. I then tightened the forestock screws to 22 inch pounds and the buttstock screw to 30 inch pounds after applying Vibratite to all. Scope screws tightened to 15 inch pounds for the vertical screws, 30 inch pounds on the horizontal screws, also treated with Vibratite

Both of them were satisfactory in accuracy. 

If you bought the Hammers scope from Amazon, I've had to return three of them due to atrocious packaging. Also the OE on my two Swarms had the parallax set at 35 yards, which meant that it would never focus at the 15 to 25 yards that I shoot at.

I also cleaned the barrels with my usual JB Bore Paste on a brass brush...Hoppes #9...Ballistol...dry patch prior to shooting it. I then tightened the forestock screws to 22 inch pounds and the buttstock screw to 30 inch pounds after applying Vibratite to all. Scope screws tightened to 15 inch pounds for the vertical screws, 30 inch pounds on the horizontal screws, also treated with Vibratite

Both of them were satisfactory in accuracy.

Had no problem with the scope packaging from Amazon, OE scope would not focus at any distance. Will give it a good cleaning and check screws. Is Vibratite like Thread Lock? I use the blue.

Sam, VibraTite is a different product than Loctite, by Permatex. Loctite blue works pretty well, however, I switched to VibraTite because once applied and torqued, you can retorque if desired. Not so much with Loctite...once you break the bond, you must pull out the fastener, reapply your 242 Loctite, and retorque. Both products do a good job of reducing or eliminating loosening.

I have a Mach1 for about two years and it is a gas piston much like yours and here is something I found out with over 23,000 pellets down the barrel. I can't jump from pellet to pellet and expect accuracy. Mine will shoot several types of pellets great but I have to clean the barrel when switching and shoot at least 30 pellets to season. If I shoot JSB and switch to CPHP without cleaning there will be fliers. I mean we are talking an inch or more at twelve yards. If I clean the barrel with a patch and solvent and then dry patch it will shoot a small ragged hole at twelve yards. For some reason these things just don't play well with others. I can switch from pellet to pellet with my Mrod but not the Gamo. Also check to make sure your pellets are not clipping your moderator as this is a common problem. I tried filing mine but ended up taking a drill and drilling the hole slightly larger. Also you may or may not want to try some pellet lube. I lube my pellets with White Lightning chain lube which I buy at Walmart. One drop in a tin will do 30 to 40 pellets and greatly increases the accuracy in my gun. I really like the White Lightning because it dries to a wax like consistency and is not oily to the touch.

When you get reasonable groups at 10 yards, but groups blow up beyond that distance, the pellets aren't stabilizing. You need to get hold of pellets that have been proven to perform well at longer distances. These would be the field target types of pellets like the JSB Exact, H&N Barracuda, and H&N FTT. As others have said, there is a very good chance your rifle will perform best with the heavier pellets, those weighing 10.5 grains or even heavier. It may turn out that other pellets will also work well, but I would start with the proven performers. And of course make sure the barrel is clean before shooting for accuracy.

As for accuracy expectations in general, consistent 1/2" groups at 25 yards is a very good result for someone experienced in shooting springers. And the higher the power, the harder it gets to consistently obtain good accuracy. For someone starting out with a high powered springer, 2" groups at 25 yards would not be unreasonable. With the right pellets and some practice groups around 1" at 25 yards should be achievable.

Good luck with your new gun!

I've got two Gamo Maxxim's, in .177 and .22. Both shoot very accurately. 

They are extremely hold sensitive because of the power and low weight. 

One thing you need to be careful with is the magazine loading. My .177 is particularly problematic, unless I close it slowly and with the barrel tipped down. Otherwise, the pellets can walk backwards and the skirts get damaged. Heck, the .177 was spitting out half the pellets completely when I was slamming it closed with the barrel pointing up. 

Once I figured out how to hold it consistently, and not throw up pellets, the Maxxim became my favorite go-to hunting break barrel. Cheap plastic stock. Overmolded plastic covered barrel. I don't have to be concerned with scratching it up. Light to carry. Accurate as some high dollar gear if I do my part. 

I have a Mach1 for about two years and it is a gas piston much like yours and here is something I found out with over 23,000 pellets down the barrel. I can't jump from pellet to pellet and expect accuracy. Mine will shoot several types of pellets great but I have to clean the barrel when switching and shoot at least 30 pellets to season. If I shoot JSB and switch to CPHP without cleaning there will be fliers. I mean we are talking an inch or more at twelve yards. If I clean the barrel with a patch and solvent and then dry patch it will shoot a small ragged hole at twelve yards. For some reason these things just don't play well with others. I can switch from pellet to pellet with my Mrod but not the Gamo. Also check to make sure your pellets are not clipping your moderator as this is a common problem. I tried filing mine but ended up taking a drill and drilling the hole slightly larger. Also you may or may not want to try some pellet lube. I lube my pellets with White Lightning chain lube which I buy at Walmart. One drop in a tin will do 30 to 40 pellets and greatly increases the accuracy in my gun. I really like the White Lightning because it dries to a wax like consistency and is not oily to the touch.

What is a moderator? I have noticed when I cock it as I close I look to be sure a pellet has loaded, some will be flattened on bottom edge.

I've got two Gamo Maxxim's, in .177 and .22. Both shoot very accurately. 

They are extremely hold sensitive because of the power and low weight. 

One thing you need to be careful with is the magazine loading. My .177 is particularly problematic, unless I close it slowly and with the barrel tipped down. Otherwise, the pellets can walk backwards and the skirts get damaged. Heck, the .177 was spitting out half the pellets completely when I was slamming it closed with the barrel pointing up. 

Once I figured out how to hold it consistently, and not throw up pellets, the Maxxim became my favorite go-to hunting break barrel. Cheap plastic stock. Overmolded plastic covered barrel. I don't have to be concerned with scratching it up. Light to carry. Accurate as some high dollar gear if I do my part.

I saw a video on the Artillery Hold for piston guns. Have seen damaged skirts as I check before closing. Always check, had a PBA pellet fall out as I was holding the gun pointed up. 

What is a moderator? I have noticed when I cock it as I close I look to be sure a pellet has loaded, some will be flattened on bottom edge.

Aka silencer

What is a moderator? I have noticed when I cock it as I close I look to be sure a pellet has loaded, some will be flattened on bottom edge. The moderator is the sound suppressor on the end of the barrel. If out of align the pellets will hit the baffles when passing through. If you take a section of cleaning rod and wrap it with Teflon tape at the end and then about 4 inches in towards the middle you can use it to see how the pellets travel. You want enough wraps to make a snug fit. This will protect the barrel as well as center the rod. You use the male threaded end as the end you insert and make sure the tape covers the threads to protect the crown. Insert it into the barrel just until you feel the second section of tape pass into the barrel. Now check to see if the rod is centered in the moderator and if not you will need to file or drill to allow clearance. Also, I don't remember if anyone suggested hand loading but since you mentioned the deformed skirts I would recommend you try that as well.

Finally had a good day to shoot. 60 and sunny. Hand loading Gamo Tomahawks, using Artillery hold on tripod resting on palm, It's dead on. First 5 shots at 10 yds. then at 20. Very happy now. Flyer at 20 all me. Adjusted scope blew out center.

1580755531_1221614495e386a4b8b0c51.94246935_swarm.jpg
1580755531_10031029525e386a4bac3027.65857754_swarm2.jpg