• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Accuracy issue

I've got a .457 Texan Carbine CF & a .457 AEA Element Max- both have a DonnyFl on them. I am having difficulty with accuracy at 90-100 yards. Usually I'm hunting axis deer so shot placement is pretty important. I'm currently using 240 grain, .457 hollow point from NSA. Any suggestions on how I can be more accurate? Is there a better gun, bullet weight, etc?

first i wouldnt use a hollow point, secondly for a long shot id want a lighter faster projectile with less arc flight path, on a slow heavy projectile several fps difference shot to shot can literally mean inches way out, and 3rdly, be sure your scope is good, ie its not grandpas old clunker that was beat up on a springer and wont hold a zero if you sneeze on it lol .. another issue can be how far the turrets are cranked out of optical center to compensate for a high-mounted scope, it can 'loosen' its hold on zero .. generally youll shim the rear mount to prevent that sitiation ..if its out side to side, be sure your rings arnt crap or just incompatible with the guns mounts

Last edited:
Moog- I'll fill up tank & shoot 2-3 shots before refilling it. At 100 yards I'm getting shots ranging about 12 inches.

Dizzums- I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. If not a hollow point, what type do you suggest for deer hunting? I've been using 240 grain. Which one do you recommend I try next? Scope on both guns are pretty new & decent. Regarding compensating for a high-mounted scope- below is a pic of one of the guns. I don't think this is a high mounted scope- is it?

thumbnail_20230925_205754.jpg

Those are some pretty big groups. I would first remove the moderators from both rifles and then shoot some test groups. Sometimes the projectile will clip the moderator on the way out causing accuracy problems.
If the groups are still big I would try testing different weight slugs both lighter and heavier.
Also make sure all the screws are tight on the gun and scope mounts.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC724