Accuracy Inconsistent?

I weighed this tin of JSB 33.4 gr MK2 pellets. Maximum weight variance was 1.5 gr. If you want consistent accuracy, you have to start by weighing your pellets.

25 cal spread.jpg

Last time I weighted JSB 33.4 gn pellets (for 3 days straight was about a summer long volume) somewhere last year in early spring, almost a year ago.
For sure I remember that the MK1's (from ZAN) were more consistent weight then the MK2's. But also remember well that the MK1 skirts were harder and needed a considerably more effort to load from the mag into the breach depth.
You just reminded me, I shall prepare mentaly for that slavery work again.

Reactions: Centercut
I weighed this tin of JSB 33.4 gr MK2 pellets. Maximum weight variance was 1.5 gr. If you want consistent accuracy, you have to start by weighing your pellets.

View attachment 429825
I couldn't agree more, I don't understand the people who continually state " you don't need to sort pellet " Grandstanding, I guess.

Reactions: Centercut
It depends some on what pellets you shoot and what distance you shoot. I find H&N Baracuda Match are more consistent in weight and apparent or measured head size than the JSBs I have measured (in 177 I have a pellet gauge and have measured head size of both but I'm just guessing based upon how 22s and 25s chamber). But at 30 yards I don't think the typical weight variation in JSBs makes a difference. It may at 100 yards. I haven't shot enough at 100 to have an opinion. I shot my one 200 at the 30 yard challenge with H&N Baracuda Match 21 grains straight from the tin and through the Carm magazine for my P35. My P35-25 prefers JSB MkII 34s although I'm still evaluation FX 34s and they seem to be as good in that gun. It's only done a 192 so far but I'm confident I can improve that with more targets. I have shot less than a handful with it so far. Maybe I'll try sorting again with it.

I'm not saying sorting is never beneficial just that when I've tried it it didn't do anything for me. But mostly I shoot in my yard and am thus limited to 35 yards.

Shooting at 50 meter I don't see much benefit in sorting but it does eliminate most flyers, not all. Shooting longer distances to 75m and especially 100m sorting is a must. I first sort the head size, that is the most beneficial, then weight but not in fine increments, anything within .5 of a grain is good, I just want to remove the extreme outliers. I found weight sorting is not as beneficial as head size sorting. Every rifle, pellet and speed will have different requirements. That is why in some rifles there is not any benefit and anything in-between.