• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Accuracy drop off

I bough my first PCP (.22 FX Wildcat mk3 VP Bottle) about 2 months ago. I have shot a couple thousand pellets through it (and some slugs) to find what brand, weight (14g to 30g) and power settings work best. I can get basically pellet-on-pellet at 25yds, and inside of a quarter with 10 shots at 50yds. But 100 yards is a different story. At 100yds I can hit a 2' x 3' target, but my shots are all over the place. When I make adjustments based on the previous shot(s), that usually does help initially, but before long I'm all over the place again. (I have not made any modifications to the gun at this point)

Can a slight wind be messing with my accuracy/consistency that much at 100?

Any suggestions on how to shoot more accurately down range?

Do you know how fast your shooting in FPS? I always tune for speed first once I find a pellet/slug my gun likes then I fine tune for precision/accuracy. If you don’t have a chronograph there are ways but they aren’t very precise. One way I’ve used without a chronograph is to listen to the pellet as it sails through the air. When you get into the 930+ range it will make a whistling sound, back it off from there. It’s not scientific by any means but it will help at longer distances.

Reactions: monstr2
Slugs fight much better with wind when shooting at 100 yards.

Being able to shoot accurately at 100 yards and farther away takes practice. No one get it just because knowing where the trigger is and that you need to pull it in order the rifle can shoot.

In order to be able to hit at 20 and at 200 you need the scope to be dully mounted:

Do you know how fast your shooting in FPS? I always tune for speed first once I find a pellet/slug my gun likes then I fine tune for precision/accuracy. If you don’t have a chronograph there are ways but they aren’t very precise. One way I’ve used without a chronograph is to listen to the pellet as it sails through the air. When you get into the 930+ range it will make a whistling sound, back it off from there. It’s not scientific by any means but it will help at longer distances.
I have chronographed my shots. All of my 100yd shots have been between 800-950fps. Try slower perhaps?

Being able to shoot accurately at 100 yards and farther away takes practice. No one get it just because knowing where the trigger is and that you need to pull it in order the rifle can shoot.

In order to be able to hit at 20 and at 200 you need the scope to be dully mounted:

I'll check this out, thanks!

Also, slugs are a bit more consistent, but not by much.

The first thing that needs to be established is your ability. Can you shoot other airguns better at 100 yds? The wind will push a .22 cal pellet that weighs 18 gr. going 990 fps 5" at 100 yds in a 90 degree 5 mph crosswind.
I get what you're saying, but if you could see just how unpredictably they're flying, you'd probably be scratching your head as well, since I don't think the wind variation has been that great from moment to moment.

Airguns, not long. Regular fire arms, quite a while. Why do you ask?
Air is very different from Powder , in old and have shot all my life but only 2.5 years air guns , they are a very different "animal"

did you clean the barrel very well b4 you ever shot ? sounds dumb but very necessary they coat the inside to prevent rust in the warehouse and shop .

Air is very different from Powder , in old and have shot all my life but only 2.5 years air guns , they are a very different "animal"

did you clean the barrel very well b4 you ever shot ? sounds dumb but very necessary they coat the inside to prevent rust in the warehouse and shop .
I've never cleaned the barrel. That's the only other thing I could think of. I've ordered a patch worm to give that a go.

I've never cleaned the barrel. That's the only other thing I could think of. I've ordered a patch worm to give that a go.
watch you tube about cleaning Air barrel dont use wire bore brush ever . good luck OH and a big welcome to AGN as your finding lots of help and just good info

If you've never cleaned the barrel but intend to, don't freak out if your accuracy differs for the first 20-50 shots. Be patient for those shots to "re-lead" or "season" the barrel. Your accuracy should return after this process. My .22 Bobcat is shooting the 18.13 gr JSB'S at 890fps. Any faster & accuracy at 100 yards is not the same. Try the 875-890fps for a starting point. Should work well for you. Good luck.

We should remember, the air rifle market as we know it, evolved from rifles shooting light, .177 pellets at 600-700 fps. All you can do, experiment with different pellets at different speeds, and see if something works. If your rifle doesn't shoot the projectile you want, at the velocity you want, then the need for a different barrel is suggested.