• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Accuracy and Cost

It seems to me that make and model solely determine price of used guns. A few big named tuners can bring in some extra dollars, we know that. However, it’s always puzzled me that if we know that a specific airgun has variation and some are highly accurate and some simply wont shoot like the good ones, why are they resold at the same cost. I’ve always kept the majority of my targets, tuning notes and ammo testing documentation for every gun I’ve had. Every time I have sold a firearm or airgun the new owner gets all that information. I don’t understand why stuff like that doesn’t factor in within the airgun community. Maybe it does I don’t know, I haven’t bought nearly as much as some of you. I would absolutely pay more for a gun, and I HAVE paid more then going value for guns that the previous owner has provided me with an accuracy guarantee. So far the only lemons I’ve purchased have been new guns, not used. 

Reactions: Tronic
The question is; Why would one purchase a preowned gun @ retail prices? Why buy a gun that by brand or model is known to need additional modification to make it the gun you see on YouTube? Caveat Emptor has always been the market motto. Yes, NEW is not a guarantee of much!

While you're pondering, ponder over to AEA.US and see these babes!😀

The question is; Why would one purchase a preowned gun @ retail prices? Why buy a gun that by brand or model is known to need additional modification to make it the gun you see on YouTube? Caveat Emptor has always been the market motto. Yes, NEW is not a guarantee of much!

The worst kind of new is a newly introduced product. They're often rushed out, and the best that can be said of them is that they have not had wide consumer testing to show where corrections/fixes should be made.

But the other kind of new is still a gamble. Sometimes you just get a lemon or find that one flaw that makes the item not for you.

One way or another it's always a gamble. That's why it's best to shop at places that have great return policies, and to check out your purchase quickly rather than putting it in the corner for a month while the return window closes.

Makes sense to me. In powder burning I should accuracy on my m4 5.56s.

I never buy used or off classifieds. I would be open to buying used from a person I knew, but not because I just randomly went to classifieds. My go to is always AoA.

I have only bought one airgun used off the classifieds, but I have to say I am very happy with it. As others have said, I think it is critical to pay attention to the ad, what is said and what is NOT said. Don’t fill in the blanks, if it is not mentioned then don’t assume, ask. Also pay attention to who is selling it, what they say on the forums, and how they communicate with you. Nothing wrong with buying used, if the price is right.

What I don’t understand are the people who essentially want new money for their used stuff. I don’t care how lightly used it is, its still used! Add to that the fact that used sellers usually don’t have a stated return policy and no way to enforce it even if they have one, I can’t see why I would pay a price close to what I can get a new one for. I won’t even consider the guys who can’t take a minute to take a good photo, can’t describe the item in even remotely comprehensible English, not to mention those who even forget to mention the price (and then don’t edit to add it later).

Chris

I remember my first firearm sell. I forgot what I paid for it and happened to post it for the exact price I paid new. I had many emails and had it sold within minutes after posting. I was dumbfounded. Now I’m seeing used airguns being sold for basically the exact same price as new. Then I ask myself could this be someone like my boy Yo! Buying up 15 of the same gun and keeping the most accurate ones and selling off the least accurate out of the lot. I mean that way you’d essentially be doing what I meant Mentioned. Paying only a little extra for the most accurate model out of a lot of the same model gun. 

I just feel I’m saving the new buyer time from testing and buying several types of pellets since I’ve already tested a bunch and documented it along with targets for proof. I also include some of whatever pellet or ammo shoots best in the gun. I consider myself a good seller but unfortunately haven’t bought and sold too too many over the years. 

For instance currently I am looking into purchasing a gamo urban and a gamo swarm gen 2 like a maxxim, “bone collector” (I hate that name), or fusion, just not the magnum. If someone were to have one in the classifieds for close to new cost I’d rather go new. Unless it was far lower of a price like other used items are or the seller gave me their word on performance. If they included everything that I do I would even pay a little or a lot more then the new cost if I felt they were intelligent or experienced enough to be trustworthy, which pretty much everyone on this forum is from what I see. 

On a side note... it sure seems bicycles are the same way. Buy it at Walmart for 200 then sell it for an absurd amount on CL.