Accident. Daystate Air Ranger bottle front part blasts

Over-filled?
I'm pretty sure that the Daystate recommended max fill on that bottle is 230 BAR. With an older gun, with multiple owners, who knows if the recommended fill pressure was exceeded on a regular basis. My older Air Wolf had two previous owners, and the OEM aluminum bottle was swapped out for a fiberglass wrapped Talon Tunes bottle. I still only fill the TT bottle to 230, even though my FX Crown 480cc bottle can be filled to 250 psi. There may be manufacturer limits on pressure within the block as well. FWIW, I never use any of my three bottle guns to support the weight of the rifle, and I am mindful of the bottle's "line of fire" when refilling it. I also think I have read Daystate's owner's manual that the bottle is to be pressure tested every three years and replaced after 10 years.

1688829735314.png

On CAST aluminum, which the drop block is clearly made of .... when it fractures or breaks it has this dull granular texture of even color threw out the break.
If a fracture happens w/o a total failure this color will darken generally in the area of the fracture & become telling if or when the area completely breaks.
It is common with many metals upon a catastrophic failure to see a previous fracture, followed by the recent continued fracturing to failure in this slight color difference.
What I'm seeing of the bottle and neck of spigot being still in place is somewhat odd in that no fracture / color breaks appear to be visible ?
Seeing what I am ... Fracture being very near the drop block where bottle butts up to it ... BOTTLE TOOK A HARD HIT creating this break in one moment in time as no previous signs of fracture are evident.

JMO ...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the Daystate recommended max fill on that bottle is 230 BAR. With an older gun, with multiple owners, who knows if the recommended fill pressure was exceeded on a regular basis. My older Air Wolf had two previous owners, and the OEM aluminum bottle was swapped out for a fiberglass wrapped Talon Tunes bottle. I still only fill the TT bottle to 230, even though my FX Crown 480cc bottle can be filled to 250 psi. There may be manufacturer limits on pressure within the block as well. FWIW, I never use any of my three bottle guns to support the weight of the rifle, and I am mindful of the bottle's "line of fire" when refilling it. I also think I have read Daystate's owner's manual that the bottle is to be pressure tested every three years and replaced after 10 years.

View attachment 370935
How would a bottle be pressure tested?
Sent to someone?
Would high pressure testing detract from a bottles life span?

Well guys from the photographs given...
The failure was in bottle adapter that is attached to the receiver!
Where the bottle is screwed in.
So, The Bottle did not Fail!!
The adapter stub with O-ring is still attached to the Air Ranger.
It looks like it Fractured at the start of the threads on the adapter..
Not being a Daystate type... I don't know the material use on the adapter...Aluminum???
So At sometime in it's life, either a hard blow or it experience a Drop....

Normal use or even supporting the rifle on the bottle wouldn't cause this failure!

Bi-Pod Baby! ... Bi-Pod (y) .
I agree but the guys who do the pic rail adapters on the bottles are what I'm meaning. If attached to stock then great! But putting stress on things that were never designed to in the beginning like bipod on the bottle and having that added leverage on the threads or where it attaches to the block, just not good IMO.

On CAST aluminum, which the drop block is clearly made of .... when it fractures or breaks it has this dull granular texture of even color threw out the break.
If a fracture happens w/o a total failure this color will darken generally in the area of the fracture & become telling if or when the area completely breaks.
It is common with many metals upon a catastrophic failure to see a previous fracture, followed by the recent continued fracturing to failure in this slight color difference.
What I'm seeing of the bottle and neck of spigot being still in place is somewhat odd in that no fracture / color breaks appear to be visible ?
Seeing what I am ... Fracture being very near the drop block where bottle butts up to it ... BOTTLE TOOK A HARD HIT creating this break in one moment in time as no previous signs of fracture are evident.

JMO ...
I would say it's machine from 6061. Better fatigue resistance than 7075, though not as strong. Die cast would not support the requiered strength (maybe zinc diecast?) Sand cast is out of the question. Think just like the L2 incident we have to wait for manufacturer analysis.

It will never have more velocity down range than immediately after leaving the gun. Just like any other projectile. FWIW.
An object needs time to accelerate. This is not a projectile that just left the muzzle after having a controlled and captive expansion of gas to accelerate it.

This is more like a missile (a self-propelled projectile) that just left the wing of a fighter jet...if the fighter jet were stationary rather than already traveling at several hundred miles per hour.

Hmmm, I see a future in making that bottle adapter from a nice piece of heat treated 17-4 and selling them to all the Air Ranger owners that just dirtied their underwear.
As I said back on the first page in post #12, as an Air Ranger owner I have never seen one that had the kind of "spacer" that is on the bottle, and as member Inverted said in post #36, the coloring of the drop block is all wrong for Daystate - which are generally flawless in that regard, especially back then.

The more I think about this, the more I think that this particular gun was equipped with some sort of in-bottle regulator, of which the "spacer" is part of, and also used an aftermarket drop block with a down sized bottle mount - that also stood off from the block leading to the cantilevered load this thing apparently experienced. I could be wrong, but that is my guess . . .

Again - that mounting of the bottle is not stock for any Air Ranger (or Air Wolf) that I have ever seen. I can say that already, just based on the photos so far and not having all the information, that I am not at all worried about the integrity of my Air Ranger. I took my factory aluminum bottle off to swap for a lighter CF one, and the mounting is rock solid - over 20mm of thread engagement (I don't know the actual dimension, but I recall the M18 threaded fitting is noticeably longer than it is wide , so probably over 25mm long), and sealing via a captured o-ring between the bottle and the block (so not sealed at all by the threads, just like an M18.5 valve to a full pressure CF tank at 4500 psi). The captured o-ring seals when the bottle is just hand tight, so there is no need to "crank down on it" to get it to seal. The shoulder of the bottle has a full interface to the block for any kind of load transfer when the weight of the gun is rested on the bottle (unlike with the one in the photos). It is a rock solid design.

Last edited:
Anyone who mounts an aftermarket band with picatinny rail on an aftermarket bottle is asking for trouble. Especially if the bottle was made in China. OEM engineers made parts that would withstand NORMAL use. They do not want to be sued. If you modify your weapon and it blows up on you, so be it; but if you are at a range and your bottle becomes a bottle rocket and kills or injures a fellow airgunner its ramifications will be overwhelming. I know the chances if this happening is very remote, but if it does, your life and other lives will be ruined.

Along the same lines, just as a ref. Friend of mine recharged co2 unit, now he did this in the garage temp about 40F. then brought it inside and set on counter. some time later he heard a very loud bang- co2 warmed up and cylinder dang near turned inside out . now co2 is only apx 950 psi. I do not think he did anything wrong just some sort of flaw in cylinder. It is normal to cool or refrigerate co2 receiving cylinder to get the flow into it. I have the same unit with 4 cylinders and never had any problems. Almost forgot had to patch the hole in the cieling.

An object needs time to accelerate. This is not a projectile that just left the muzzle after having a controlled and captive expansion of gas to accelerate it.

This is more like a missile (a self-propelled projectile) that just left the wing of a fighter jet...if the fighter jet were stationary rather than already traveling at several hundred miles per hour.
After looking at this again, you are correct! I t does need an initial distance to reach velocity with the gas escaping. My bad.

Reactions: nervoustrig