• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Acceptable Co2 rifle?

An "old" friend called me and has another retired firefighter friend that is a little weaker in his old age, and has COPD. His wife died this year and he is watching the starlings and blackbirds eat all of his birdseed. He is looking for a Co2 rifle that he can shoot the starlings, up to maybe 50 yards. I know absolutely nothing about Co2. Could yall suggest a decent Co2 rifle that I could suggest to him to get for his old friend? He wants C02 because he don't think the old fella is strong enough to cock a break barrel and a pump would stress his breathing. I told him that I would post the question on AGN and let him know. Thanks to all for the time and attention.
Bob-

Or.... Most folks don't consider pcps because of the hassle and expense associated with air supply. However, if he is a former firefighter he should have friends
who could cobble together some good kit. An inexpensive rifle from Crosman/Benj. or many others) can be American made wood and steel. The quality is good, service is available and he gets 100 shots a fill. Just a thought.

Reactions: bf1956
QB78 ! Sealed tube so holds gas forever, (opposed to a rig that just seals to the Co2 cart) reasonable weight. Excellent triggers, in .22 can -easily- be modded to 20fpe if desired-, made from wood and metal but a synthetic model is now out. No problem with 50 yards either tho knowing your abilities is needed.
Best value in a utility Co2 rifle and at a price you wont regret.

John

Reactions: Jasonmc
QB78 is a great rifle if you are wanting to stay in co2 realm and its limitations, one thing to note with the QB78 is the piercing cap you have to tighten it down then back off until you hear it pressurize then when you dry fire it once it seems to fully pierce may be a quirk with mine but great lil rifle for the pricepoint. Also, Co2 is temperature sensitive the colder it is outside the less performance you get and the hotter it is the better it performs and note that when shooting fast with them causes it to cool lowering fps as well.

As others mentioned, 50 yards is excessive for CO2, but inside of 30 yards is another story.
The QB78 is a little loud, heavy, and requires not one, but two CO2 cylinders per fill.
My recomendation would be a Crosman 1077.
A 1077 trigger will take some getting used to ( or modifications) , but besides that, they are a very lightweight, inexpensive and popular CO2 airgun.