About to take a tour at a new permission

Question for Bob, I've got a bunch of dairy farms in my area and I've been watching to see if I could locate a spot or two to shoot. In my drives around I've not notice many pigeons roosting on silo's or barn roofs. There was one place I went past the other day that did have some and I may go back and see if I can't have a go at them.

The question is and it might be a stupid one but these places you are shooting at. Are the pigeons obvious on a drive by pretty much? Or are they there intermittently. Should I ask farmers if I don't see any or just keep looking until I do?

Several hundred starlings at a time in and on those silos.....didn't get to shoot much due to it being late and talking a lot with the husband and wife.

They shoot a Gamo so they were super interested in my rifle!!! I hope to be back there Wednesday during the day.

1537264836_7299663365ba0ccc41a2657.12585535_IMG_20180917_184435039_HDR.jpg

Good way to approach the farmers. Gaining permission likely easier if they know you. So in my small town I can't introduce myself and most people will at least know who I am. So what I intend to do is to first introduce myself and follow that with a statement of why I am there saying something like. "I like to hunt pigeon's with my air rifles and I see that you have a bunch. If you're not particularly attached to them (inserting a little humor ) if I could shoot at them being certain not to do any damage would you allow me to do that". Then depending on there body language and expression I might follow that with. "Please don't be troubled if you feel you should say no for any reason I understand" That tells the farmer you are probably an OK guy and he might reconsider. I think it's extremely important to talk with the farmer about how and were if you get that far. Show him the rifles offer to let him shoot with you and then make certain to do a pretty complete walk around for places to shoot or not to shoot. One of my concerns is for my own personal safety. No need to get into that at length but there are plenty of places to get hurt on a farm. Barns floors have holes in them. Places to trip and fall. Animals who are big and powerful. So you have to look out for the farmers equipment animals and property but you also have to be careful for your own protection. Especially if you are picking up dropped animals which may not fall in convenient locations.

I'll report back once I try my approach with a farmer or two.

One thing I know from two of my permissions is that they are tired of people asking if they can hunt on their land.

This is why I offer to help them with their pest bird problem. I see that as different than asking if you can hunt. Hunting is something that might be seen as just for you......whereas shooting pest birds might be seen as doing it for them.

Just something to think about