• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

About targets and traps

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46449

OK, so I now have a couple of pistols to shoot with. I know I can go kill some cans and punch some paper, but I'd like to ask a few questions about target shooting with a pistol. I've looked over the targets offered on a few different websites. After all the looking, I think I'm more confused than before I started. There are so many different types of paper targets that a guy could easily get confused. So, here are a couple of questions.

First, what target size should I really be looking for? I have a Crosman 1377 and a Hatsan Mod 25. For now, at least, I'll be shooting open sights. No plans for any type of red dot or scope right now. Then, once I know what size target I'm looking for, I can prepare to build a trap. I've done a bit of research on that and there are countless ways to build a trap. It seems the most common, or popular, way to build a trap is by using duct seal inside some type of box or container. My second question would then be; is that the best type of trap for the two pistols I have?

I'm considering trying to shoot inside the garage. That would be a distance of around 20' to 22'. I know that's not 10 meters, but to keep peace in the neighborhood and to have somewhere to go on a rainy day, I'm thinking 20' should be enough for casual plinking. Which raises the next question. If I build a trap using duct seal, is it going to stop the pellets at the 20' distance? I'm figuring it should, but I'd like to be sure before I start buying targets and building the trap.

I'll keep researching and reading, but thought maybe some of you guys might have some suggestions to offer.

SM,
I'm afraid pistols and target traps aren't my area of specialty; however, I've noticed target trap/target threads come up frequently, I'd search the archives. Don't get discouraged by lack of replies, just might be an area that not many have interest nor knowledge of. Pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) guns, Springers and high-pressure air (HPA) compressors really seem to generate an interest, as you'll probably notice. I touched base mainly to let you know I've a Hatsan Model 25, as well. Two years back I visited a neighbor (fellow shooter) about suggestions for proper caliber size for removing armadillos and crows. Ended up purchasing two guns he didn't want for $50. Main complaint was lack of strength to cock from a weakened heart. One, the pistol, I put in a drawer after trying out. I knew it was a Hatsan, just not what model. Like I said, despite three pistols, don't consider myself a pistol guy. Had to chuckle when I saw it was a Model 25. I think you'll have good luck with the Hatsan, plenty of power and accuracy, even dovetail grooves for a scope/sight. Happy Shooting, WM

Thanks for the reply. No, I won't be discouraged if I don't get a lot of replies. I have already searched this forum and have read a few threads. I found pretty much what I had already found on other websites on the 'Net. There are two, main groups of guys. Those that use duct seal in the trap and those that use rubber mulch. Then, there is the fringe group that offer suggestions about using 1/2" steel plates in the back of a trap made from 1/4" steel plates. I'm sure every one of them works perfectly for the guy that constructed and uses them. I'm just trying to get a little feedback on what sized targets I should really be shooting at first, then maybe how much duct seal or how much rubber mulch is required to stop the pellets fired from my two guns. I don't really want to spend the time, effort, and money to build a trap that won't stop the pellets fired from these guns, at the distance I am expecting to fire from.

I was really amazed at the number of different sized, shaped, and colored targets for air guns. Not being familiar with these guns and their accuracy, I'm just not sure if I should be firing at 2" targets or at 12" targets. I suppose I could buy a few of every size. What I'm really going to need to know is what the exterior dimensions of the paper or cardboard they are on is. That's going to tell me what size trap to build and what sized opening for the target I need.

I'll get it all ironed out. If I need to, I'll just walk down to the wooded area near my house and kill some old cans. LOL!

Most of my air pistol shooting is done at 10 to 15 yards. For your distances the targets I use should be just fine. I like 2 inch targets that I make myself. I print up a bunch along with other targets on a Xerox machine. I also like the NRA 10 Meter Air Rifle target.
For a pellet trap go ahead and use the duct seal but also stuff the pellet trap with old bed sheets or blankets. The sheets and blankets will stop the pellets and your duct seal won't get tore up. I made my own pellet trap that I use in my back yard.

1662247165079-1107664845.jpg

Neat. Is that a regular 8 1/2" x 11" sheet or is it a legal size of 8 1/2 x 14"? No that it matters that much. I can always print my own targets on either sized paper. I'll tell you just how old and stupid I'm getting. I spent 30+ years in the computing industry. Not until I saw your post did it occur to me that I could just print my own targets. LOL! Man, I love these "golden years"! Now, all I need to do is scour the 'Net for a really good image of a multi colored bullseye target I can save and print off as needed.

I like the suggestion of using old sheets and blankets in front of the duct seal. That stuff is a little pricey, a little heavy, and I've read lots of posts where guys say the duct seal has a memory and firing multiple shots in the same place can create "tunnels" or "hollows" for new shots to zip through. Great suggestion as I have lots of old sheets, blankets, and towels to use. I keep everything that can possibly be used as a rag because I'm constantly creating messes in the garage. Right now, I have oil all over a spot out there. I tried buying some oil dry locally this last week and there isn't a single box store or auto parts store that has any or will order any. I just told the wife earlier today I'm going to buy a couple of bags of kitty litter to get by on. This "out of stock" and "supply chain issue" crap is getting old, really quickly!

Yep, thanks for the suggestions!

I use a large cooking pan lined with duct seal. Piece of cardboard on the face to stop pellet bounce back. Note the few misses to the left and right. Right side is a metal door. 22 pellets dented quite well:oops:

IMG_0018.JPG

Regarding targets you can get reduced scale 10m airgun targets scaled for 5 meters. Download the PDF's and print as needed. https://www.gr8fun.net/index.php?main_page=page&id=4

I use a large cooking pan lined with duct seal. Piece of cardboard on the face to stop pellet bounce back. Note the few misses to the left and right. Right side is a metal door. 22 pellets dented quite well:oops:

Regarding targets you can get reduced scale 10m airgun targets scaled for 5 meters. Download the PDF's and print as needed. https://www.gr8fun.net/index.php?main_page=page&id=4

I've seen a few posts and a few websites offering the advice to put something over the opening of the trap to prevent bounce back. I'd say since I'm going to be 20' away, I'll need to be sure I don;t get any bounce back. The rubber mulch, cardboard, and blankets/sheets ideas seem to be well worth taken into consideration.

THANKS for the link! I downloaded a few and saved them on my hard drive. I can print off whatever I'm in need of now. That's great!

target size just use some kids craft paper 8 x 11 a magic marker or those 1 inch stickers , I have a bunch left over from my kids I’ll put rows of 1/4 “ dots and shoot once at each one.According to our clubs website an 8 “ thick cardboard box filled with rubber landscape mulch is good enough. I use old carpet cut in pieces inside a cardboard box with an old phone book at the back carpet muffles sound from hit, the mulch can be bought at most home improvement stores

I've seen a few posts and a few websites offering the advice to put something over the opening of the trap to prevent bounce back. I'd say since I'm going to be 20' away, I'll need to be sure I don;t get any bounce back. The rubber mulch, cardboard, and blankets/sheets ideas seem to be well worth taken into consideration.

THANKS for the link! I downloaded a few and saved them on my hard drive. I can print off whatever I'm in need of now. That's great!
I took the cardboard off to show you the block placement. Empty 12-pack beer suitcases opened up fit it perfectly. I've never had any bounce back. Advise never use BB's but that's stating the obvious..

I used the rubber mulch in a cardboard box. The mulch was only $4 a bag at Wally World and I used 2.
I have shot my 25 cal PCP, a break barrel 177, and my CO2 pistols at it a lot and never had a problem. Pellets only make it about 4" deep. No worry about tunneling as a new piece falls in place. When the box gets torn up I tape a new piece of cardboard over it.

target size just use some kids craft paper 8 x 11 a magic marker or those 1 inch stickers , I have a bunch left over from my kids I’ll put rows of 1/4 “ dots and shoot once at each one.According to our clubs website an 8 “ thick cardboard box filled with rubber landscape mulch is good enough. I use old carpet cut in pieces inside a cardboard box with an old phone book at the back carpet muffles sound from hit, the mulch can be bought at most home improvement stores
I have a small boatload of card stock for ink jet printers. I don't actually recall which computer job I was on when I got it all. I think it was when I had a contract to do work for a local college. Institutions throw away SO MUCH good stuff it's sickening.

I'm leaning towards the rubber mulch idea. I'm thinking of using an old Rubbermade tote a little bigger than a beer flat. Although I'll change my mind a dozen times before I get it put together, I'm leaning towards gluing some rubber backed carpet to the bottom of the tote, both inside and outside, then filling it nearly full of mulch, then covering the mulch with an old blanket, and cutting a hole in the lid of the tote about the size of a sheet of standard printer paper. To hold the target I'm going to cut the top couple of inches off two clipboards and glue them to the top with some Liquid Nails.

Or, that's the preliminary plan. LOL!

No BBs, badger. I've still got one in my right arm from when I was a stupid kid. We actually had BB gun fights. Most of us were using Red Ryder guns and they usually didn't hit hard enough to break skin. This one did and is still with me. LOL!

Yep, airmagic, I'm leaning towards that mulch idea, for sure. The low price for a couple of bags of El Cheapo brand rubber mulch along with the fact it won't "tunnel" seems like the thing to do.

Here you go. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/printable-targets.561855/
Lots of free targets for you to download and print out. Air Gunner Golf is a fun target to try.
Ahhh, I can't download from there. The files are held by Google's cloud, called drive. I spent too many years working in computer and network security to knowingly download something from Google drive. Cloud services have a very high rate of compromise, IE being hacked. I'm aware of too many instances where a person's computer was compromised after downloading from there. There are a lot of places that now house on cloud services that aren't clearly stated and I'm sure I'm hitting a lot more of them than I sometimes realize. I just try and refrain from using any service that is knowingly held on something similar to Google drive. But thanks for the thought!

Here is an article describing what I'm talking about.

https://www.makeuseof.com/why-google-drive-is-a-security-risk/

I thought I'd just follow up on what I was talking about yesterday. I finally got around to giving my pellet trap a long over due cleaning out. After removing the bed sheets that were inside the pellet trap you can see that the duct seal is undamaged. One could argue that I don't even need the duct seal.
I hope everybody is having a great Labor Day weekend.

1662335267792-1107664845.jpg