• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AAA Evol mini .22, best moderator?

Hello all, I am looking for recommendations on a very quiet aftermarket moderator for the Evol .22 mini. The gun will be brand new, so it is the most current version.

My main concern is quietness and accuracy, less important is size, weight, and power.

Are there any good "effective" aftermarket moderators that use the evol's factory air vents to route air away from the pellet?

So far I am considering Donnyfl Ronin, STO Falx, STO Sarissa, Huma mod 40

Thanks all

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why buy a mini if size isn’t a big deal? A ronin sure would make it quiet, but super long too. I have used a behemoth on mine, and while it makes it white, it’s long, and if it wasn’t for the tri lug quick disconnect for storage, I wouldn’t use it. I’m buying an atom shortly to try that out. It’s worked magic on a lot of people’s guns, and is super short.

Reactions: plinky
I purchased the longer AAA moderator from AOA. It the one the comes with the longer Evols. It makes it quieter than the short one, the Evol comes with. But, I have not tried the Mini with other moderators to be able to compare sound suppression. As a side note (not as important) it also keeps the look of the original rifle.

Out of curiosity, why buy a mini if size isn’t a big deal? A ronin sure would make it quiet, but super long too. I have used a behemoth on mine, and while it makes it white, it’s long, and if it wasn’t for the tri lug quick disconnect for storage, I wouldn’t use it. I’m buying an atom shortly to try that out. It’s worked magic on a lot of people’s guns, and is super short.
Overall I liked the mini better. I am looking for a quiet solution for differant applications. I would use the stock mod when out at the range and the quiet mod when shooting around the house. Thanks for the reply!

I purchased the longer AAA moderator from AOA. It the one the comes with the longer Evols. It makes it quieter than the short one, the Evol comes with. But, I have not tried the Mini with other moderators to be able to compare sound suppression. As a side note (not as important) it also keeps the look of the original rifle.
Thanks for that, I am definitely Interested. I didn't know you could buy the longer versions after the fact.

I’m not sure about the noise level of the .22 in stock form, but the .30 Evol with the stock moderator is pretty darn good as-is. I’ve tried several different moderators on the .30 just for the heck of it. I liked the tone that the Fatboy had on it but I’m right back to using the factory setup on it now. Interestingly enough, I can tell by the tone of the shot with the factory setup when the Evol drops off the regulator. It gets louder when it drops below 2100 psi.
Long way around to getting to my point, I wouldn’t buy anything for it until you have checked out the noise level of what AAA has put together. It really is pretty darn good.

I’m not sure about the noise level of the .22 in stock form, but the .30 Evol with the stock moderator is pretty darn good as-is. I’ve tried several different moderators on the .30 just for the heck of it. I liked the tone that the Fatboy had on it but I’m right back to using the factory setup on it now. Interestingly enough, I can tell by the tone of the shot with the factory setup when the Evol drops off the regulator. It gets louder when it drops below 2100.

Long way around to getting to my point, I wouldn’t buy anything for it until you have checked out the noise level of what AAA has put together. It really is pretty darn good.

I'm not positive since the gun hasn't arrived, but from what I hear the mini is pretty loud due to the shorter barrel and smaller moderator. You are probably right about waiting either way though. But any first hand experience helps, I appreciate the input!

Reactions: pnwairgunner
I've got a two segment Huma Mod40 on mine. It was just a bit too loud outta the box.
I mess with different suppressors on different guns, until that given gun doesn't bother my cats when they are nearby where I'm shooting (indoors).

1687327549720.jpeg

Mike

I find my Mini is quiet stock. Idk I see no reason to actually get anything else. If I did I would go either STO Pugio or look below this thread the Wylie LDC. But I want mine as short as possible.
I agree that it is quiet stock if youre lucky to live in the country, I wouldn't say it is city or even crowded suburban neighborhood quiet though. The Wylie Kanz moderator by @Bullysyclone along with his LDC adapter is just a work of art. I also would say its chambered in a way where I saw my groups tighten a bit, I am going to write up another thread when I can test and confirm this.

@plinky I believe you posted in the thread but here it is for reference anyways. My mini got one and my HPS Evol will be getting one when funds allow!

Hello all, I am looking for recommendations on a very quiet aftermarket moderator for the Evol .22 mini. The gun will be brand new, so it is the most current version.

My main concern is quietness and accuracy, less important is size, weight, and power.

Are there any good "effective" aftermarket moderators that use the evol's factory air vents to route air away from the pellet?

So far I am considering Donnyfl Ronin, STO Falx, STO Sarissa, Huma mod 40

Thanks all
Plinky

I can't speak for the Ronin, but I can comment on the Sarissa, Falx and a Franken-Mod 40. The Sarissa is more quiet than the Falx as would be expected (but the difference isn't that much considering the delta in length). But the Mod 40 is super quiet.

The Mod 40 started as a .30 and I reconfigured it to have 6 total segments. I combined it with a Compact .177/.22 Mod 40 with the Avalanche inserts. The first segment that threads onto the barrel is the .177/.22 Avalanche insert then the next 4 segments are the .30 kevlar inserts with the end cap being the sealed .30 piece. I played around with different configurations (2 × Avalanche, 2 x kevlar inserts with .177/.22 end cap, etc) but I found the formula above resulted in the quietest outcome. I really expected the .177/.22 end cap to be more quiet than the .30 but it wasn't for me.

The Franken-Mod 40 (FM40) makes my .22 Evol Mini backyard friendly and accurate. I turn on a little music and me and my son have a fun time punching targets. Dry firing side by side with a Notos the FM40 has a more quiet signature.

-PJ

Last edited:
I was using the Huma MOD50 with 5 stacks to make the Evol .22 regular dead silent. But now used the old and new design Evol silencer threaded together. Works just as well.
Peete

I bet with a Mod 50 it was whisper quiet.

Do you have a picture of the old and new design threaded together? I'm having difficulty visualizing what you mean by the old and new design.

-PJ

Peete

I bet with a Mod 50 it was whisper quiet.

Do you have a picture of the old and new design threaded together? I'm having difficulty visualizing what you mean by the old and new design.

-PJ

I combined the standard on the Evol with the newer design they supply currently with the Evol. This makes the shroud look longer;)
4sEmYYl.jpg

And on the Evol
orD7MDw.jpg

Interesting. I didn't know they have a new moderator. So the front of the moderator has the same threads as the rear? Anything different with the internals?
Yes the new one seems to have a synthetic chambers core and the original just consisted of two different length chambers with a airstripper entrance profile. Hope It makes sense ;)

Reactions: Peskådot671