• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AAA EVOL .30 Magnon - In Hands - Basic Questions

Hello,

I just got this in the mail today and have some basic and somewhat embarrassing questions. This is my first PCP gun am trying to learn my way around it.

1) When the magazine is empty, it appears it cannot sit in the gun without the gun being cocked and the cocking handle part way back. The little metal piece inside the mag prevents the bolt from closing all the way. Am I correct on this?

2) There is a little moisture inside the gauge on the tube - not the one underneath the gun. Is this normal?

3)Is it safe to shoot the gun when empty without the mag installed? I cocked it back playing with the ring height for getting the mag in and out and want to decock the gun. 

That is it for now. Thank you.

De cock by pulling the cocking lever back, while holding the lever back against the spring force,,pull the trigger and let the handle go forward, SLOWLY

dont let the lever fly forward

the magazine (empty or full) can not be inserted until the gun is cocked

a little moisture in gauge is not normal but it may dry out, maybe a hair dryer on low might help, but it is not a big worry

1st pcp and you get an AAA 30 cal Evol I am so jealous

Thank you.

I called AoA as well. Dry firing is ok w/o mag. They said the moisture would go away(?) on the gauge. We will see.

Thank you for the heads up on how to decock it. 

Question: The gentleman at AoA said the keeping it cocked over time can cause a bit of damage (this sounded just in general not specific to AAA) does this sound right? It sounded like the damage would happen over a long LONG time. Nothing to be concerned about really. It would be cool to leave the gun loaded ready to go at some times to where all you had to do was take the safety off and pull the trigger. I won't do it though if that is not advised. 

Any other FNG moves you guys could help me avoid?

Thank you for the heads up. In regards to "extended periods of time" I am assuming leaving it cocked for maybe an hour or two would be fine?? Are you more thinking leaving it cocked and loaded in the closet - indefinitely - waiting to pull it out randomly to shoot? Or are both situations ill advised?

Also, I have this on the way. https://www.edgunwest.com/store/pcp-airgun-fill-accessories/item/great-white-97-cu-tank/

Is there anything I need to buy to be able to fill this gun with how this tank comes? And I will most definitely have some FNG questions when the time comes to fill it. 😆 

Thank you for the help guys. It sucks not having any quality shops around to go figure this stuff out quickly at like centerfire. 

Also, in regards to dry firing....Is it ill advised in the same regard as dry firing a .22lr? As in, if it happens, so be it, but lets not make a habbit out of it sort of thing??? Or is it really really bad for some reason? And if so, why? 

Also, my questions are just me trying to learn not challenge. Hard to convey tone of voice and expressions online.....

Thank you 

dry fire,,with air pressure in cylinder and no pellet is A,OK ,,,,some guns do not like dry fire when air pressure is low or at zero

as to cocking and leaving it cocked in a closet,,,do you do that with your 22lr or centerfires,?,,Bad bad habit,,I know, you are just using that as an example

the only gun damage that could happen is the hammer spring takes a set from the compression over time and shots a little slower

Thank you for the reply. The .22lr example was for dry firing (can be bad for a rimfire). Not leaving it cocked ready to go. That was a question too, but unrelated to .22 or any other firearm. Sounds like you can do it if need be, but not advised. Regarding safety of leaving your AR loaded ready to go out of the question - leaving it that way is just fine. With an air rifle damage can be caused - that is the answer I was looking to uncover. Thank you

Any input on filling the cylinder with tank provided in the link above?

Thank you for the reply. The .22lr example was for dry firing (can be bad for a rimfire). Not leaving it cocked ready to go. That was a question too, but unrelated to .22 or any other firearm. Sounds like you can do it if need be, but not advised. Regarding safety of leaving your AR loaded ready to go out of the question - leaving it that way is just fine. With an air rifle damage can be caused - that is the answer I was looking to uncover. Thank you

I run the same tank, and I'm also using an Ayrtek booster pump now. I'm probably going to upgrade to a big industrial tank soon lol

As far as dry firing goes, on the AAA Slayer models for sure, it was advised by Tom Costan, the designer of each model, that damage to the outside of the brass balance valve assembly can occur if dry firing to remove plenum air volume for disassembly. Whether this happens with the valve in the Evol, I am not certain. But I would not be dry firing to find out.

I run the same tank, and I'm also using an Ayrtek booster pump now. I'm probably going to upgrade to a big industrial tank soon lol

That is a neat device, but for $1200ish I personally will put the $$$ toward an Alkin W31 Vertical or something similar. That will be 6 months to a year out.

My question was more in regards to how it comes from Brian. Do I need anything else? Or will the end of the hose that is supplied match up and fill the nipple that comes on the EVOL? I got no other device from AoA in the box, so assume that is all that's needed from the gun itself. 

As far as dry firing goes, on the AAA Slayer models for sure, it was advised by Tom Costan, the designer of each model, that damage to the outside of the brass balance valve assembly can occur if dry firing to remove plenum air volume for disassembly. Whether this happens with the valve in the Evol, I am not certain. But I would not be dry firing to find out.

Interesting and noted. I called AoA and I *think* it was Dillan who a spoke with. He said dry firing was fine and there was nothing to worry about fwiw. That said i'll error on the side of caution and not dry fire it unless I really need to. 

Thank you for the replies