• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AAA EVOL .22 Mini - worth the price of admission

I've been into PCP airguns for about 3 years now. Over that time I have owned several very good to excellent airguns, including: Vet 22 Shorty, Leshiy, Bantam Sniper XR, etc. I've also owned a few stinkers and not so good airguns. 

So right now you're saying to yourself, yeah this is the guy who just sold a brand new Sniper XR - what gives, isn't that an excellent gun? Well, yes it is an excellent gun. But as excellent as it was it kinda left me wanting for a little bit more. 

I won't say the search began because, let's be real, does the search ever stop? I've been back and forth over a Daystate but I want to pay for quality and precision, not electronics and programming code costs. Not a big FX fan, but no need to go down that path. All overly complicated pieces of equipment - I want something "great" that exudes simple and quality at the same time. Just like's Ed's valve engineer said in the Leshiy valve video - "It's easy to design something complicated, to make it simple and reliable is the real challenge."

This road led me to American AirArms and a rifle announced late last year - the EVOL .22 Mini. Buy once cry once, right. Nah, the SWFA scope is nice, but lets top this beauty with something it deserves.

Yes, I can still afford a few tins of pellets. Yes, selling the Sniper XR helped offset the cost. Yes, I have better scope rings on order. ;) Yes, I'll be paying the rest of this one off for a while. 

BUT, this is a "great" gun. Simple, solid, accurate, precise - this rifle exudes "great". 

And, let's not forget that one thing we all do with really expensive airguns - it was in pieces tuning it within 2 hours of receipt. I dropped the reg from 150 to 130 bar and tuned it for the 18.1 gr JSB @ 800fps. This is giving me 3 - 11 rnd magazines from 4000 psi down to ~2300. I could probably pop off most of a 4th and still be on reg. 

A few changes include: more comfortable grip, Magpul UBR stock, Law Tactical folding stock adapter on backorder, and some DonnyFL goodness on the front because this sucker is loud.

1593112365_13202139195ef4f72d11c8d6.32026799.jpeg

1593112379_9114879445ef4f73bc74ed9.16787079.jpeg

1593112390_5025981495ef4f7469993e6.87847384.jpeg

1593112397_16971756355ef4f74d1e1325.67113867.jpeg

edit 7/10 - update thread title.

Nice!

How do you like it so far?

B

I've only had it less than a week but I can tell it is amazing. It's just the best of everything - loosely based off the AR platform it feels great to shoulder. I went with the UBR stock because it is rock solid. No wiggle like a standard buffer tube setup. I'll try to get some 50 yard shoots over the weekend to post up, but I am impressed so far. 

Very nice! What were the pros and cons (if any) oh the vet? I have my eyes on one in .22 and interested to hear your feedback. Is it a “great” gun?

Thanks!

I had a Shorty .22 with a CZ barrel. The ONLY thing I couldn't take was the rear cocking. Move that to a mid cocking lever and I'd be all over a second one. Shot slugs great before slugs were even a big thing and NSA only swagged. If you want one, get one - you will not be disappointed. Do a Google search on them - the thing that will impress you is that even though you won't find a lot, you also won't find any bad. 

To answer you - if you don't mind the rear cocking lever it's a "great" gun. If you can wait for the Vet 2, then you'll probably get my definition of a great gun. 

Looks like the NX8 4-32

Correct - Never had a scope over 15x before. The 32x is pretty amazing. I wanted a high end scope that was robust but versatile. The NX8 seemed like the best all around scope for my needs. I got mine with the MIL-XT reticle which is just incredible. The thing impressed me the most was when I first looked through it my targets were literally brighter than before - just nuts. 

Great feedback @JWilson. I am anxiously waiting for the Vet 2 but probably go with a Vet 1 if they really go on sale. Doubt it but never know or buy a used one somewhere especially when the Vet 2 comes out. I’m reading great reviews on them but trying to find a bad one and only real complaint is the rear cocking but I’m a lefty so don’t see that being a problem. I currently have an FX Impact and think it’s better to have cocking lever on the right side since my left hand stays on the trigger. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looks like the NX8 4-32

Correct – Never had a scope over 15x before. The 32x is pretty amazing. I wanted a high end scope that was robust but versatile. The NX8 seemed like the best all around scope for my needs. I got mine with the MIL-XT reticle which is just incredible. The thing impressed me the most was when I first looked through it my targets were literally brighter than before – just nuts. 

This scope is nuts, got the same and I love it

B