• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.
Apologies in advance, this is gonna get wordy... but it's got a happy ending 😄.

Bought an AAA Paradigm in .22, with plans to use JSB 25.39 MRD. Looking for that "one rifle" that could be pulled out when distance and/or wind were causing too much heartburn with my ~19fpe & ~30fpe rifles.

When it arrived, I was in awe of its looks & construction. Top shelf machining, fit, and materials. The Steve Corcoran stock is beautiful, and highly functional; at home on the bench or from sticks, but also quite good for offhand work. With buttpad & cheek rest adjustable along every axis, & a choice of thumb through or thumb up with the grip, can be made to fit well with just about any shooter & hold.
Fortunate enough to have spent time with many highly regarded triggers- Daystate (both mechanical & electronic), Taipan, Kalibrgun (Charlie Frear tuned), FX etc., plus great powder burner triggers- Anschutz 54, Geiselle, Jard etc. This one takes a backseat to none of them. In addition, shot cycle was gentle & the report on the quiet side considering the power level.

There was one disappointment though, a big one- not very accurate. As in 1.5" to 2" groups at 50 yards. That wasn't going to cut the mustard. Now I don't claim to be a benchrest savant, but can do a lot better than that with any other rifle in the safe, so it wasn't all on me.
My immediate thoughts went to the pellets. Those who have browsed these forums for a good while have surely seen some posts from disgruntled MRD users. I had too, but chose to tell myself it wouldn't be a problem- sure, might get a bad tin or lot now & then, but will just stock up on the good ones. So I bought MRDs from two other lots (one of them FX branded)... & both shot even worse than the first.

Forum member Richieg started a thread recently that shows in clear detail how the MRD has changed over time:
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/the-3-different-jsb-25-39-redesigned.1280691/
Won't rehash the whole thread, but for reference, all three lots that I tried look like the bottom most pellet in his first photo.

At this point decided to not spend another dime hoping for "good" MRD until the Paradigm gets a once over by someone more qualified than I. After a brief discussion with Tom Coston (AAA owner), it went back to Airguns of Arizona for evaluation. Shane at AOA looked everything over, made sure the barrel was clean, and shot for groups. He was able to get better accuracy than I had, though nothing to write home about. In hindsight, wish I had asked him what vintage MRDs he used.
While his results were mediocre for a high end rifle, they were better.. & this is the point where most vendors/manufacturers would've washed their hands of it. But they didn't...

Shane & Tom had been in communication about the rifle, & Tom wasn't satisfied with how it was performing even after the somewhat better results so requested AOA send it to him. While all of this was going on, I had lamented to both of them how I regretted not going with a .30 caliber Paradigm, and that I wanted to have it converted regardless of whether the blame was fully on the MRD or split between those & the rifle. Assumed (& comfortable with) that it would be on my dime (at the very least, the magazine, bolt & moderator, which definitely weren't to blame).
A short while later, I get an email from Shane stating that Tom had finished working with the rifle, & it'd be coming back my way soon. And shortly after that, an email from Tom stating that while he hadn't finished testing the original barrel thoroughly, he'd seen enough to convince him that it wasn't up to his standard. He had converted it to .30 caliber (barrel, bolt, chamber insert, moderator, magazine) & personally tested it for accuracy, at no cost to me.

Got the rifle back, mounted my spare scope, & hit the range. Long story short (too late now :ROFLMAO:)- consistently got groups at 100 yards that were better than the very best I could get at 50 yards when the rifle was .22 caliber. This in spite of using a fixed 12x scope rather than the variable set at 35x that I had used during its time as a smaller caliber.

If you're wondering what my point is (I get that a lot)... American Air Arms & Airguns of Arizona stand behind their products!

2/1/23, edited to add:

Got a message from Tom at AAA last night. He was able to finish his evaluation of the .22 barrel & said there was an issue that was likely causing some pellet deformation. He was able to correct it & get it to shoot very well from a test rifle. So definitely not all on the pellets (JSB isn't off the hook completely, they did send me four tins of OM in MRD tins :oops:).
Really added this to highlight that Tom took the time to let me know the diagnosis, and to learn the cause in order to improve his product. Also took the time to check on how my rifle was shooting in it's new life as a .30. Top shelf company all the way!

Last edited:
Good on Tom and AOA taking care of you. They have been very responsive with me as well. Now if we can get JSB to stop sending out crap, that would be great. I believe it was you and some other members in the past that brought up the inconsistencies with the JSB .22 MRD. I went through a couple tins and also noticed that JSB were mixing the old Monsters with the Monster Redesigned. I have about 19 tins and haven't gone through them all yet.

20230108_082846.jpg

20230108_082859.jpg

20230108_090451.jpg

20230108_085959.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfmangreg
Good on Tom and AOA taking care of you. They have been very responsive with me as well. Now if we can get JSB to stop sending out crap, that would be great. I believe it was you and some other members in the past that brought up the inconsistencies with the JSB .22 MRD. I went through a couple tins and also noticed that JSB were mixing the old Monsters with the Monster Redesigned. I have about 19 tins and haven't gone through them all yet.

View attachment 320986
View attachment 320987
View attachment 320991
View attachment 320992

Wow, that's egregious!

Wolfmangreg QUOTE:
it went back to Airguns of Arizona for evaluation. Shane at AOA looked everything over, made sure the barrel was clean, and shot for groups. He was able to get better accuracy than I had, though nothing to write home about. In hindsight, wish I had asked him what vintage MRDs he used. :end quote.
I have a Alpha wolf in .22 that shoots like yours did, currently at AOA for the second time. Shane sent me a tin of pellets they shoot thru them there, just in case the ones I were shooting were somehow substandard and the culprit of the poor accuracy, which wasn't the case.The pellets were just regular MRD's..nothing special. The MRD's I have, when sorted,ECT...shoot great in my RAW HM1000x or my Huntsman Regal, so It isn't a pellet issue. Glad they were able to get you all fixed up. I've had others say to give up on the .22 and go with .25 or .30. but I have don't have anything in those calibers, so I'm hesitant...or scared..lol

Reactions: wolfmangreg
I had a similar experience with AOA and AAA over an evol part.

I grenaded the moderator core in my .30 evol during a 100 yd. match, and was convinced that I had inadvertently double loaded the rifle.
I contacted AOA about purchasing a new core, and after a short time Shane from AOA messaged me back that Tom did not think a double load would have caused the issue, and it was a bad core.
They had me ready to pony up some cash for a new part, but no no no, free of charge and with apologies for the inconvenience!

Wanna guess where I enjoy shopping?

Sounds pretty consistent with my experience in dealing with Tom and my Evol. Great experiences in communicating and helping to remedy issues I’ve had, which were minor issues. Still he cared enough the reputation of his product and his customer’s satisfaction to assist me.

Also AOA has consistently provided good customer service even when I’ve had issues with products, mainly used rifles.

The OP’s account on this thread reads consistent with my personal experiences with both parties.

I too have had great outcomes buying from both AoA and AAA. The folks at AoA are very knowledgeable of the AAA products and if they don't have the immediate answer to the question they will get it. I have also dealt with Tom over many years and it is always a pleasure. He is a wealth of knowledge and pride, and it shows in the quality of his work, from the Slayer's to the Evol's.