• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AA TX200 M3 or the Weihrauch HW97 and others

I own both as well, and choosing between the two is a very hard decision. Put to it I believe that I would keep the 12 Ft.Lb. 97K in .177.
I am right handed but left eyed, and the LH TX200 is a little awkward for me to cock and load, while the HW97 loading port is wide open and generously proportioned.
The TX also has the Anti bear trap latch to deal with when returning the rifle to battery

The advice@ Sqwirlfugger57 gave you above about effective range is rock solid. Once you are very familiar with your rifle, you can then stretch it a bit to see, but limit yourself to backyard range at first.

Reactions: beerthief
I have researched that these 2 guns keep showing up in the top 2 , I selected these two as I'm intrigued with the underlever concept keeping the barrel aligned. Also, where did the HW 77 go? was it inferior? Discontinued? Or significantly less powerful than the HW97?
Ahhh the age old ...Tx200 vs HW97 question...(it's as old as history itself, Ford vs GM, and on and on)
I'm in the camp that owns both the TX200 and HW97 in 0.177 caliber.

I shoot WFTF piston.

I think the most important issue is accuracy.
Accuracy wise, I think it's a wash. More limited by shooter's ability vs the small groups these rifles can print.

For me as a WFTF competitor, the next issue is; can I trouble shoot this gun in the field/gun range with minimal tools (swap out the main spring, change the piston seal, service the breech seals....). For me the only answer for now is the TX200. Some of you younger weight lifters probably could field strip a 12 FPE HW 97 to get the main spring out and muscle it back in (with a multitool)...I'm too old and scrawny to try that.

Loading port I know is an issue for those with big paws but not an issue for me as I have small delicate hands and can load the TX blindfold. Which I learn to do early on (wasn't hard) as my big ass scope is right over the loading port.

Fit and finish and the glossy deep blue metal finish...Not an issue for me as this is a tool for competition. It's gonna get scratched up, bluing is going to wear off...etc. But if you want to buy this as an heirloom and spit and polish (and caress it everyday....shivers...) more power to you. Then buy the TX200.

The click click click of the loading port of the TX doesn't bother me too much. I'm going deaf anyways (that's what I tell my wife...honey, really I didn't hear what you said)

So that in a nutshell is how I ended up choosing and shooting the TX in competition. With my scores, it probably doesn't matter much what I shoot. Sigh...with my ability I could probably score higher throwing rocks at the target.

Last edited:
All that’s been mentioned about both rifles being a good choice is spot on the money. However, there are some additional things to keep in mind:

1. The stocks on each are different and it will make a difference in how YOU feel about the rifles. The TX200 tends to be a bit more ergonomic for larger hands and is available in Walnut.

2. The Weihrauchs tend to have loser bores in .22. Making them more pellet picky, typically preferring H&N pellets.

3. The TX200 is available in Hunter Carbine, while the HW is available in Standard and long versions. Personally I like the balance of the TX200HC and the HC has the benefit of a threaded barrel so you can add a moderator. It handles similarly to the ProSport.

-Marty

The major difference as I see it is that the TX can easily be disassembled for cleaning and tuning without the need of a spring compressor or other special tools. I had a HW 97 and it was a nice gun, but to take it apart was daunting. So I sold it and have a TX coming.

P.S.: Now that I’ve owned the TX for a while, I find it more difficult to load than the 97.

Last edited:
Have all three , enjoy all three, find I shoot the LGU the most and for me it is the easiest and most accurate for me personally. Next would be the HW77 and last but not least is the TX200 mainly as it is .177 and the others are .22 and the .22’s are easier to load for me. All are great accurate shooters. I do not advocate one above the other as it comes down to personal preference.

F58A1FD5-DBCA-4D86-837F-9DEC150F4DEF.jpeg