• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AA s510 ultimate sporter vs fx cyclone

I'm looking at buying one of two guns. Both in 177. One is an AA s510 ultimate sporter, the other an fx cyclone.

I have always wanted an fx gun, but I love the stock on the Air arms. I would be using the gun for pest control, pigeons and rabbits, so the lower power for indoors then higher power setting for rabbits. Also target and even FT. This was why I am looking at this type of gun having adaptability of power settings.
I am interested in others experiences with these. I've never been great remembering how many shots, fill pressures etc, so I guess what I really want to know is how consistent either one is, being unregulated. And how much benefit is gained from installing a regulator in either. The main benefit I want is consistent shots.

Thanks in advance.

I've had two Royales with the adjustable power and two S510s. My comparisons:

1) You're right, the S510 is a prettier gun, very nice stock. AA knows how to make a great looking gun.
2) The power adjuster on the FX guns is a much better design. For example, when you change the power to "medium" you are going to the exact same power setting every time because the wheel has indents that make you stop at the exact same spot. The S510 wheel is a guessing game at best and if the power isn't the same setting as before, your POI will be different and throw your accuracy off.
3) If you're using the gun for hunting a lot, the Cyclone only weight 5.7 lbs. The S510 is 8.6. That is not a light gun to carry around.
4) The smooth twist barrels I've had were more accurate than the s510's I had.
5) Cyclone has a removable cylinder which may come in very handy for hunting in the field.
6) The most important thing and the main reason I got rid of my S510's, the usable shot string is not impressive at all. 20 shots with a power curve? They've been refining their design and they've made a super reliable gun, but they should refine the gun in other areas (cough cough regulator). The actual results from the gun leave much to be desired and the work involved with fitting a regulator, only to lose the use of the pressure gauge is not acceptable in my book. At least not for the money. 

Reactions: rkave
The AA 510 is really only an update of the AA410 which has been around for many, many years. The AA410 was an update of the excellent 310 design - in all these cases (AA) you woud have to look very closely to spot any difference. All of them are very well made, basic PCPs.

The FX Cyclone was an original design (one-off/totally new. That's after the the FX 2000 which more closely matches the AA410 ). Totally new easy cocking mech., detachable air cylinder (it was thought important then), very high shot count or efficiency, light weight, edge indexed magazine, modern fill method etc etc.

Then Ben taylor suggested some improvements to Fred (@FX)
His (BT) regulator and an english styled Walnut hunting stock

The result was stunning (IMO!).
A lot of people agreed with me back in 2007/8, but then some moaned about the guns' manometer/ air guage only showing 80BAR (UK), the reg. pressure - Ben countered that by removing the air guage :).

Nowdays, if you're anally retentive, you can have an FX Cyclone that shows not only the Reg. pressure but also the Cylinder pressure (via a FX aftemarket fitting).

AA (or NSP engineering, whatever) are great engineers but not innovators.

Reactions: Cliff_Allen
"Tony.R"Yeah, 20 shots sucks. But with a reg it will be better. I still don't understand how AA can sell unregulated guns in 2016...
They're part of the old-school "we make air guns with valves that are so consistent that we don't need regulators". It sometimes take a while for old-timers to realize their work is out of date but they'll get there eventually. You might have noticed that their bullpup now has a reg option by popular demand. Unfortunately, they priced that option at a similar level to the FX Impact so I doubt it will sell that well. 

The #1 reason I bought a Cyclone was aesthetics. With the older style Webley stock, I consider it the best looking air rifle ever made. I bought a used one from AoA and paid extra for one of the old stocks they had stashed in their back room. The #2 reason I bought a Cyclone was easy conversion to left-handed use.

I recently got a chrony and shot a couple strings from 200 bar. The first was with the hammer spring preload set as it came. I don't know if it was the factory setting.

The second string was with max hammer preload. I have no idea what's going on inside the gun to make it this consistent. Any lighter pellet would probably be transonic and unstable at this power level. And I haven't been to the range yet to see whether these pellets are actually good at this speed.