• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms AA Pro Sport / TX200 barrel cleaning question.

Sorry, this is the long way around a really very simple question. I hope I can explain this so it can be understood .
I just purchased a like new beautiful AA .22 Sport pro sport and I want to clean the barrel. For the rest of this conversation I’m going to refer to my TX 200 which is basically the same thing.
Had my TX 200 , .177 now for about three years, put over 20,000 rounds through it and gone through 2 PG 4 vortex Tune kits with are fantastic. I’ve clean the barrel many times but always with difficulty. The baffles have always caused me the trouble and now same with the Pro Sport .
I still can’t figure out how to easily get the patch worm type pull through from the breech to the barrel end ? I’ve watched every possible YouTube I can find , read all instructions but for some reason I just can’t figure it out?
I understand the use of the drinking straw in the barrel end to get past the baffles. I want the pull through cleaning felt pads to go from the breach down the barrel. I find it impossible to insert the sharp point i of the patch worm down the breach, it gets stuck about a half an inch from the end of the barrel even with a straw inserted?
I have found a method that works for me but it’s very cumbersome and I got in a bit of trouble yesterday doing it. What I do is take 2 foot piece of thick green whipper snipper green .60 line and stick it through a straw and up to barrel out the breach. I have cut a small slit almost at the end where I then insert the smaller diameter sharp end of the patch worm line . I then use about an inch of scotch tape and tape them together as tight as I can. Then I have to pull the heavy green line back down the barrel and hope the tape and end of the patch worm line come through. I can then pull the cleaning patch breach to the barrel end which is the proper direction because that’s the way the pellet goes. Yesterday , using this method on the Pro Sport .22 , the whole thing came apart in the middle of the barrel and tape didn’t come out . I assume it got caught in the baffles so fired a few pellets to clean it out. I also pushed in a solid brass rod with a felt cleaner just to see if something might come out but nothing did. I’m pretty sure the small piece of scotch tape did come out with a pellet but I can be sure . I’m not worried about .
The Pro Sport seems to shoot extremely accurate so I can’t be doing much harm if it’s still stuck in there which I doubt.
So, what am I doing wrong? There’s got to be an easier way to get a patch worm to pull the right direction without so much hassle.
Can anybody help straighten me out with this problem.
Thanks
Al

In my TX200 I slide a steel straw cut to about 5 inches with the ends beveled in the barrel at the muzzle. I have a wrap or 3 of masking tape around the straw to make it fit snuggly. Push my cleaning thread through to the breech, install patch, pull it out through the muzzle. Simple and easy. I have never had s patch get caught. My shooting buddies do the same thing, no one has any dfficulty.

I use a piece of heavy monofilament fishing lone. Form a loop, tie a knot in the two ends, then lightly crimp the line to form a V of sorts opposite of the knot. I feed the V through the muzzle and push it through to the loading port, fold a small cotton patch over the V and pull through the barrel. I usr this on everything from my rimfires to my air rifles, TX200 included.

Reactions: Orv and AirShot
In my TX200 I slide a steel straw cut to about 5 inches with the ends beveled in the barrel at the muzzle. I have a wrap or 3 of masking tape around the straw to make it fit snuggly. Push my cleaning thread through to the breech, install patch, pull it out through the muzzle. Simple and easy. I have never had s patch get caught. My shooting buddies do the same thing, no one has any dfficulty.
where do you get the steel straw ? all my guns are .177

Reactions: drpietrzak
Folks fret too much about cleaning an air rifle barrel. If and when, and IF just for because I do clean a barrel I simply use a graphite rod, some nylon cleaning brushes for a quick stir and then ballistol and about ten patches. I have several HW rifles that have not been cleaned in ten years and they shoot fine. I would be afraid to clean them and ruin the accuracy for 300 shots.
These are not Black Powder burners that must be cleaned daily, the baffles and shroud assembly does not allow the rod to contact the crown, so there is no danger of wearing out the barrel.
Yep I just use a rod and go to it.
Kit

Folks fret too much about cleaning an air rifle barrel. If and when, and IF just for because I do clean a barrel I simply use a graphite rod, some nylon cleaning brushes for a quick stir and then ballistol and about ten patches. I have several HW rifles that have not been cleaned in ten years and they shoot fine. I would be afraid to clean them and ruin the accuracy for 300 shots.
These are not Black Powder burners that must be cleaned daily, the baffles and shroud assembly does not allow the rod to contact the crown, so there is no danger of wearing out the barrel.
Yep I just use a rod and go to it.
Kit
i agree but when you first get the rifle it is nice to clean it . i cleaned ny HW97 about 2 years ago and 12000 pellets that's when i bought the rifle .