• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Resources AA HFT500 Good for Benchrest? - OK, prove it!

Well, I don't know. How many times have you done everything you are supposed to do (level gun, breath and trigger control, prepped pellets, etc., etc...), including taking the wind into consideration based on your wind flags and vast experience of thousands and thousands of shots :), and the shot goes in a completely different spot than you thought?

Wow, this jumped pretty quick from OPs HFT question to pellet sorting/weighing. Shame on us :ROFLMAO:
Ok, so here's an old discussion and there are hundreds more found by "searching"

Just my opinion on the scoring of the target bull 18 and bull 25
If you look really close the bull # 18 the shot was below the 10 ring and the tear in the paper went out the bottom as for the bull # 25 the shot was above the 10 ring and the tear in the paper went towards the 10.
I have scored 1000's of smallbore targets and this has been the case in most of the targets above the 10 scores in below the 10 scores out.

Just my opinion on the scoring of the target bull 18 and bull 25
If you look really close the bull # 18 the shot was below the 10 ring and the tear in the paper went out the bottom as for the bull # 25 the shot was above the 10 ring and the tear in the paper went towards the 10.
I have scored 1000's of smallbore targets and this has been the case in most of the targets above the 10 scores in below the 10 scores out.
In accordance with USARB rules, these targets are scored using an official.22 caliber plug.

For 25m international targets using a .224 plug...there is a simple visual check that can be used to decide if a hole needs to be plugged.

If a pellet hole is exactly on the middle of the 9 ring line, it will just barely miss the ten ring with the plug. Scorers will always plug shots that land right on the middle of the line. If more than 50% of the hole is to the outside of the 9 ring..,there is no reason to even plug it. It will not make it if properly plugged.

As to paper tears...the tears occur because the target is poorly supported and we use slow moving round nose pellets. A target affixed to a proper backer is the best way to avoid dealing with paper tears. Putting a slight convex bow in the target backer and affixing the target tightly is the best method. The convex bow will aid in keeping the target against the backer in all places. The places with air gaps between the target and backer are the places where tears are most likely to occur.

The second issue with paper tears is the scorer using a plug with a shank that is too large for the pellet hole. Unfortunately, .224 plugs with .177 shanks are hard to come by...so most attempt to score with a .224 plug made for Rimfire scoring. The larger shank will exploit a tear in the paper and move toward the direction of the tear. This situation ends up with invalid scoring.

I'm not critiquing scoring on this thread...only providing scoring information.

Mike

Reactions: Loufish