• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

aa 500 power curve

Please clarify if you meant to state 300 BAR and not 3 BAR. Also, at what pressure was the rifle at when it dropped back to 820 FPS after the climb and what power level? (low, medium, high?) If you did mean 300 BAR, The S400 is not designed to operate at that pressure level as the hammer and valve spring tension is not mated to that kind of pressure. That is why you have such a sharp rise in velocity.

"spinj"Please clarify if you meant to state 300 BAR and not 3 BAR. Also, at what pressure was the rifle at when it dropped back to 820 FPS after the climb and what power level? (low, medium, high?) If you did mean 300 BAR, The S400 is not designed to operate at that pressure level as the hammer and valve spring tension is not mated to that kind of pressure. That is why you have such a sharp rise in velocity.
the pressure should have said 200 bar

"John_in_Ma"Did you buy the gun new or used? In .177 you should be getting 880fps with 10.3gr pellets with the power wheel a bit past half way. Your string should look something like this. http://airgunnation.dev/topic/shot-string-from-my-aa-s500-extra-fac/

If not then there certainly is something going on.
I got the gun from a good friend,it's about 2 years old.the gun had not been shot very much before i got it.i was testing with crosman 7.4

"r1d2"
"John_in_Ma"Did you buy the gun new or used? In .177 you should be getting 880fps with 10.3gr pellets with the power wheel a bit past half way. Your string should look something like this. http://airgunnation.dev/topic/shot-string-from-my-aa-s500-extra-fac/

If not then there certainly is something going on.
I got the gun from a good friend,it's about 2 years old.the gun had not been shot very much before i got it.i was testing with crosman 7.4

The 7.4's point to why the speed was so varied. what. Was the gun stored with full pressure? I ask because the valve poppet can, but not always deform over time when stored under full pressure, causing inconsistent seating from shot to shot. Also I've tested crosman pellets in mine, just the domes not wadcutter, but they varied greatly in shot to shot consistency over the chrony and in grouping. I believe it has something to do with the hardness of the pellets and their oversized heads. Anyways i think with your new spring and a better pellet, JSB or AA you will find no faults with the rifle.

Please don't feel overwhelmed by my questions. Take them one at a time if you test for and answer and just have fun with your gun. I shoot in Field Target and Benchrest so I'm always looking for the best out me, my gun and it's ammo. That doesn't mean you have to or need to.

"Jlands"Can you post the whole string so we can rule out valve lock?
Shot a 40 shot string using the cardboard box crosman 10.2 domed pellet,started at 200 bar and ended with a little over 150 bar.894,886,882,900,919,896,913,910,908,902,908,909,920,912,923,928,918,925,934,932,927,935,926,936,935,947,941,939,941,953,940,957,966,956,960,970,960,967,968.didn't have time to shot anymore.hope this enough info,so what do you think.

Entering your data onto my spreadsheet, it is obvious that shot 33 (at 966 FPS) is the region at which your gun's optimum power curve begins at, if say, you can accept at least a 20 FPS spread. By the way, I counted 39 shots, not 40 like you stated. Anyway, you need to check at what BAR this velocity begins at then fill your gun to that pressure. If you only continued shooting past shot 39 we could see what shot number the best part of the curve ends and therefore determine how many shots you can get at this accepted velocity spread.

Referring to the illustration below, it is clear that at 200 BAR your rifle's hammer is unable to fully open the valve and overcome the pressure like how it is able to do so on whatever pressure it is at the apex of the curve; basically, your gun's hammer spring tension is experiencing valve lock at 200 BAR.
Chart.jpg

Putting a regulator in the Air Arms guns is a lot more involved than other guns because there are no hammer adjustments. I put one in my S500 Carbine and it turned out great, but had to lighten the hammer in a lathe and modify the firing "pot". They have a heavy hammer and a lot of force behind the hammer. You really have to reduce that force a lot when fitting a regulator.

Try setting the power adjuster halfway, fill to 2700psi, and shoot a string with heavy pellets. These are very simple and reliable guns, I seriously doubt anything is wrong.

Also try some JSB pellets. The Lothar Walther barrels love these. The Crosman pellets are so hard and don't usually give good consistency in mine.

While it's true that the S410 is limited in power adjustability when a regulator is installed because unlike some guns it does not have an adjustable hammer spring mechanism, it's safer to change the hammer spring than shaving weight off the hammer. Once you've removed material from the S410's hammer you cannot add it back. It is better to just change out the hammer spring and/or (or both) valve spring to one that provides your desired power output and consistency. Also, the spring is easily replaceable, as in you don't need to get one directly from Air Arms. You can get it from your local hardware or specialty store.

That's true, but the lock time becomes noticeably slow, and it encourages hammer bounce. By lightening the hammer, you decrease lock time, reduce hammer bounce. FYI, you can take as much material as possible off the hammer, and it still has too much strike for a regulator set at 120BAR. You still have to cut a coil off the hammer spring to get the hammer energy down enough to not waste air.

I've tried it both ways, and lightening the hammer is the more efficient way to do it. There is no worry of taking too much material off, because you can't make it too light in this application.