A YouTube Rant (Worst things about Airgun videos)

The Good Lord preserve us from unboxing videos...

Satan himself was the one that came up with unboxing vidoes and then calling it "review" in the title.

Last week I took it upon myself to rat out a certain twerp from California who specializes in irresponsible use of high power airguns. The title of his video I won't even write here as it's against forum rules in multiple ways. His excuse -- in his mind airguns are already about to be banned, so he might as well do whatever he wants.

So I told the retailer of the gun he was reviewing, "is this the kind of attention you want"?. Nope. He thanked me for bringing to his attention and 15 minutes later you bet the title on that video was changed. Then he makes another video whining how he triggered his followers but will never change 🤪

I don't mind the channels where its some dude talking discreetly about self-defense but if there is an airgun channel where someone is acting like a hyper-caffeinated rambo using big bore airguns, sadly there's not a lot we can do and he will be the one to fulfill his own prophecy -- and that affects all of us in the end.

I have not withheld information on my Maverick, a rifle that at first was pretty far from loving it, actually so bad i had to buy another rifle to get the accuracy and fun i was looking for.
Opposite that well i have my FX Cyclone, which i got, and in the same shopping spree also got some tins of 15 and 18 grain .22 pellets, and that was love from the first shot CUZ the rifle liked both of those pellets though the 18 grainers fired at full speed are the most accurate.

Right now i am debating in my raging sleep deprived mind if i should set up my Maverick to just shoot the 20 grain slugs, and then buy a new rifle to shoot 12 - 16 /18 grain slugs.
I think there is a big chance i buy another gun, going by the " boys will be boys " even if i am rapid leaving adult age and approaching the geriatric years.

Channels that grow quite the following generally catch sponsors attention, resulting in freebies in exchange for their glaring reviews...I've seen it time and time again, its market manipulation and not to mention the guy trying to sell you an airgun didn't even buy it himself on many of these channels, I find that whole practice outright filthy, from those who accept such sponsors, to the sponsors themselves...I get it though, but boiled down most of these youtube channels are social media influencers and marketers profiting on your views, in some cases its their primary source of income (selling their free guns and youtube monetization)...
Most of the shooting related channels are rejected for monetization because the content does not meet the policies and guidelines. The pros get their dosh from sponsorship and we all know who has the biggest marketing budget.

Dana is definitely top notch. I am to make 1% of his quality and still fail 😂
100% this. I was really sad to see all of his posts now show the account as "Removed" here. To bad all the bs in the threads here drove him off. RIP @crosman999 - Dana and Cyclops are the only two channels I remain subscribed to.

LOL! A YouTube rant video about YouTube videos! We now need game changer video about game changer videos!🤪

If done correctly a unboxing video can be quite information and useful. Everyone is different so different videos will appeal to different people. Some people think some videos are advertisements while I think they are very informational while some “quality” videos are simply BS or demonstration of ignorance on the subjects. To each their own. 🤷

Last edited:
If done correctly a unboxing video can be quite information and useful.

At minimum they should have high quality quadrophonic microphones placed very close to the packaging so we can hear the outer packing getting ripped and then the tape getting cut. I like to hear the product being removed from the styrofoam as well. ASMR overload, but in a good way.

@kaylaindy is the only one who comes close to satisfying in that regard. I'm pretty sure he puts his mic a few inches away from those steel targets. Makes every gun sound super powerful and awesome 🤠. And the sound of that auto-knife when he opens the box -- 😻

Reactions: qball
Satan himself was the one that came up with unboxing vidoes and then calling it "review" in the title.

Last week I took it upon myself to rat out a certain twerp from California who specializes in irresponsible use of high power airguns. The title of his video I won't even write here as it's against forum rules in multiple ways. His excuse -- in his mind airguns are already about to be banned, so he might as well do whatever he wants.

So I told the retailer of the gun he was reviewing, "is this the kind of attention you want"?. Nope. He thanked me for bringing to his attention and 15 minutes later you bet the title on that video was changed. Then he makes another video whining how he triggered his followers but will never change 🤪

I don't mind the channels where its some dude talking discreetly about self-defense but if there is an airgun channel where someone is acting like a hyper-caffeinated rambo using big bore airguns, sadly there's not a lot we can do and he will be the one to fulfill his own prophecy -- and that affects all of us in the end.
This is what mystifies me. Guys in our hobby just don’t look at the big picture. All the guys who are addicted to watching airgun video’s create an open door for idiots. If there was nobody watching, subscribing, or liking airgun videos, boneheads would have no perspective audience. Like a lot of things, our overly enthusiastic people from within will ultimately be our demise. But in the meantime, because guys just won’t stop putting their entertainment needs aside in favor of the big picture, good job for doing your part by getting out your broom and cleaning up after the slobs. Hats off to you.

This is what mystifies me. Guys in our hobby just don’t look at the big picture. All the guys who are addicted to watching airgun video’s create an open door for idiots. If there was nobody watching, subscribing, or liking airgun videos, boneheads would have no perspective audience. Like a lot of things, our overly enthusiastic people from within will ultimately be our demise. But in the meantime, because guys just won’t stop putting their entertainment needs aside in favor of the big picture, good job for doing your part by getting out your broom and cleaning up after the slobs. Hats off to you.
In the same vein but a tad different (adding on to what your saying. I love hunting, love it, but there are definitely some not so good hunting videos that bum me out.

Reactions: silvershooter589
In the same vein but a tad different (adding on to what your saying. I love hunting, love it, but there are definitely some not so good hunting videos that bum me out.
Absolutely. When they opened the door on kill videos then the surge when guys became addicted to them, the side effect is more potential ammo for animal activists to use. It is what it is. I‘ve noticed a different approach recently from groups that can’t get things changed through legislation. They now plant seeds to move whatever they hate in a direction that causes it to implode from within. They use the enthusiasts to derail something they love.

9 million shorts (eh hum macabespeed),garbage audio which is a bunch of them. Literally every single gun reviews exactly the same. One hole groups and never ever ever a plinking miss (Airgun detectives ). Excuse after excuse in every video ( excuses of Michigan err I mean airguns of Michigan). Not sure I was supposed to be that specific 🤷‍♂️? Eh who am I kidding. Those are all annoyances but I subscribe to all those channels still 👍👍.

9 million shorts (eh hum macabespeed),garbage audio which is a bunch of them. Literally every single gun reviews exactly the same. One hole groups and never ever ever a plinking miss (Airgun detectives ). Excuse after excuse in every video ( excuses of Michigan err I mean airguns of Michigan). Not sure I was supposed to be that specific 🤷‍♂️? Eh who am I kidding. Those are all annoyances but I subscribe to all those channels still 👍👍.
My first review I ever did I made an excuse and it got me thinking about it and I try really, really try hard not to use them. When I did my Sidewinder series there was a LOT of wind for 2 weeks but I just kept my mouth shut because nobody likes excuses. All the guns I shoot can outshoot me, but I am admittedly not a pro shooter

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Trucker3573
Rant threads are the best!

I don't understand why people need to complain about something that costs them nothing. They're only getting what they paid (nothing) for, so why do they feel the need to attempt to take control of it when they could start their own channel (for others to complain about)?

[Edit] It occurrs to me that it would be productive to send the offending videographer a few bucks and a request to change their methods. That way both parties would have some skin in the game. We value what we pay for. [/Edit]

Cheers,

J~

Last edited: