• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A YouTube Rant (Worst things about Airgun videos)

This looks like a good place to plug my channel. Wondering where my channel sits with regard to this rant. I do focus mainly on springers so I am kind of a niche type of channel. I try not to be a salesman. I don't do reviews so much as I provide information and my opinion on various guns. I don't yell at the camera and I've never done an unboxing. Always looking to increase my viewership as well as to improve my content. What say the fellow airgunners? Am I one of those lousy channels or am I unique enough to be considered as having decent content?

This looks like a good place to plug my channel. Wondering where my channel sits with regard to this rant. I do focus mainly on springers so I am kind of a niche type of channel. I try not to be a salesman. I don't do reviews so much as I provide information and my opinion on various guns. I don't yell at the camera and I've never done an unboxing. Always looking to increase my viewership as well as to improve my content. What say the fellow airgunners? Am I one of those lousy channels or am I unique enough to be considered as having decent content?
I've watched your stuff before. Just subbed! Can't figure out why I wasn't already

Reactions: razor62
I leave channels that are blatantly obvious that they wont say anything bad about a rifle. If it is nothing but fluff and all glowing reviews, then I pass on them. Dana is a class act guy and his videos are great. There are a few that I refuse to watch because they just seem like they are shilling for the company to keep the goods coming in.

Will have to watch some of the videos Razor. I have a channel but it is mainly my rc planes flying and my glider exploits so nothing anyone here would want to watch. lol.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
I leave channels that are blatantly obvious that they wont say anything bad about a rifle. If it is nothing but fluff and all glowing reviews, then I pass on them. Dana is a class act guy and his videos are great. There are a few that I refuse to watch because they just seem like they are shilling for the company to keep the goods coming in.

Will have to watch some of the videos Razor. I have a channel but it is mainly my rc planes flying and my glider exploits so nothing anyone here would want to watch. lol.
I used to spend all my time on everything RC

I don't know. I might enjoy it. I enjoy flying drones and I kicked around trying a plane for awhile. Got a link?

Reactions: Deleted 45061

Excellent subject matter and very enjoyable to watch.
Subbed.

My wife LOVES Chipotle. It started here in Denver so we’ve been eating it for about 25 years now. It’s kind of watered down now compared to how awesome it was back then……..btw, thanks for being on Rumble, man! Youtube is run by free speech-hating leftist trash.
Of course. I've been preaching Rumble since when YouTube deleted all my podcast episodes for no reason

Reactions: darylm
If you are old enough you may recall when the Outdoor channel first started. It was very good entertainment.
Once the folks who peddle hunting gear figured out you could pair some guy with a permanent 2 day beard and cute woman with a better than average body and a gleaming smile and sell the crap out of your product it became like Home Shopping Network for hunters and fisherman.
When I first got into air guns I was so smitten that it took a couple months to realize I was watching the same thing minus the GQ looking dude and his ex-cheerleader wife.
Now I watch pesting videos from across the ocean, some prairie dog videos and an occasional air gun hunt for big game. If it is pigeons, doves, Egyptian geese, monkeys or buck toothed rock chucks I ain’t watching.
I do however have to admit I will go the Edgun backyard squirrel fest videos just because I enjoy the guys narration.

When every single product reviewed is “awesome”, or a “total tack driver”, and never is anything other than “incredible”. C’mon people, we’ve all bought stuff that sucked. How come these guys never do? 🤪
Bought is the operative term here. They Influencers have made themselves a product sold to the highest bidder. By inverting the transactional formula the potential for any “suck” is magically eliminated. It is some form of magic.

I extremely reluctant use the follow / subscribe on any YT channel, just as i do not follow anyone in here, CUZ why would i.
I know some people in here have mileage, and knowledge, but why would i insult them by stalking them.

I still have more youtube channels bookmarked in my browser than i use the google mining button ( subscribe / follow )

Channels that grow quite the following generally catch sponsors attention, resulting in freebies in exchange for their glaring reviews...I've seen it time and time again, its market manipulation and not to mention the guy trying to sell you an airgun didn't even buy it himself on many of these channels, I find that whole practice outright filthy, from those who accept such sponsors, to the sponsors themselves...I get it though, but boiled down most of these youtube channels are social media influencers and marketers profiting on your views, in some cases its their primary source of income (selling their free guns and youtube monetization)...

Channels that grow quite the following generally catch sponsors attention, resulting in freebies in exchange for their glaring reviews...I've seen it time and time again, its market manipulation and not to mention the guy trying to sell you an airgun didn't even buy it himself on many of these channels, I find that whole practice outright filthy, from those who accept such sponsors, to the sponsors themselves...I get it though, but boiled down most of these youtube channels are social media influencers and marketers profiting on your views, in some cases its their primary source of income (selling their free guns and youtube monetization)...
I've been approached by 4 or five companies who want me to review their products. I usually ignore the emails because the products don't really fit with my channel's focus. Recently, I agreed to evaluate a Chinese rifle scope. I warned the company that I deal with springers which are notorious for destroying scopes that aren't designed for the guns. I was told that the scope (3-9x32AO) should handle the recoil so I agreed to do it. They're supposed to be sending one out to me soon. They give you the product with no requirement that it be returned in hopes that the review will be favorable. I won't recommend it unless it really does appear to be of decent quality and able to withstand springer recoil. I think a lot of YouTube channels just enjoy getting free stuff so they take these offers regardless of the product's usefulness and as a result, they give high praise in order to keep the goodies coming.

Reactions: Billinoregon
I've been approached by 4 or five companies who want me to review their products. I usually ignore the emails because the products don't really fit with my channel's focus. Recently, I agreed to evaluate a Chinese rifle scope. I warned the company that I deal with springers which are notorious for destroying scopes that aren't designed for the guns. I was told that the scope (3-9x32AO) should handle the recoil so I agreed to do it. They're supposed to be sending one out to me soon. They give you the product with no requirement that it be returned in hopes that the review will be favorable. I won't recommend it unless it really does appear to be of decent quality and able to withstand springer recoil. I think a lot of YouTube channels just enjoy getting free stuff so they take these offers regardless of the product's usefulness and as a result, they give high praise in order to keep the goodies coming.
Yeah over praise is an issue. Sometimes it's just built in to the content, however. I'll give you an example. I've been using a tripod for 20 years now for my ratting setup. The same tripod is in production today and is a big seller on Amazon. I will be making a review of it at some point because I like it. And there is the rub, I've discriminated against all other tripods and already will be walking into this video with only good things to say! If I didn't, I would probably go and get whatever tripod I thought was better.

I think this same subjective, qualitative discrimination happens all the time without us knowing it (by us I mean people that film). On the selection of guns, there is also persons that are not going to do a review on a gun that sucks (kind of a waste of time). If I know XYZ company is not known for making good products, why would I give them a single second of my time. Likewise if there is a great company called ABC, I will want to use the products made by them because their reputation proceeds them. I still have to do my due diligence and if something can be improved mention it, but right out of the gate I'm not wasting my time or the consumer's time.

I suppose out of all the videos, the ones that make me most upset are the glowing reviews of products that I know have serious issues. I get calls from other dealers telling me about problem platforms, but when you go online all you see is smiles. Then if you're the unlucky guy that buys one, you'll be stuck with that. Makes me feel bad for the kid that saved up for a couple months and spent it on a POS because I've been that kid a few times.