• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A whole new concept for me. 16gr 177 pellets out of breakbarrel

I live in the city and have what you would call a magnum break barrel 177 rifle. The problem was it is too loud and is too easily detected by neighbors when shooting the regular lighter pellets. Just for grins I bought several different kinds of very heavy 177 pellets and that dropped the velocity to sub sonic which made a huge difference in sound which I was very excited about but the unexpected benefit came as a result of the extremely higher BC of the pellets and the great improvement in trajectories and energy retention.

I wasted my money on several types of heavy pellets that are microscopically larger and fit too snug in the barrels causing a huge reduction in velocity but I found that especially the H&N Sniper Magnum 15gr and the Exact Beast Diablo 16gr both shot like gangbusters out of my break barrel rifle. I have not done any real bench rest accuracy testing but I suspect that just like in big real guns , longer and heavier projectiles require more twist rate in the barrel although I have not noticed any sideways impacts at the target. so the standard twist rates must be OK.. Isnt it funny that the airgun mfgrs dont quote the twist rates like in real guns. I shoot mostly at floating sticks and leaves in a pond in my front yard which is terrific as I can always see where the pellet splashes and when I started shooting these heavy pellets I noticed the hold over was a lot less for the long shots.which initially surprised.me. I know the popular trend is the larger calibers right now but I will always be a 177 man especially now that I know about these heavy pellets. i suspect those slightly larger diameter pellets are strictly for PCP riles with more power.