A water/oil separator for the cooling pump for my Yong Heng?

Hi all, a while back I bought one of the cheaper Yong Hengs without the auto shutoff, and I’ve always had this nasty, oily cooling water that I always had to change out quite often to control the stink that comes from the 5 gal bucket. I recently read a post on a thread that you need an oil water separator? I’ve been looking for one all over, but I just can’t seem to find one that’d work. What have you guys used? I’m getting a little sick of this nasty smell in my shop because of it... 

Thanks

If you got a Yong Heng without the water separator, the "simple version", I would upgrade or replace it. The water separator is the aluminum rectangle to the left of the cylinder in the picture. If you are purging the system every five minutes and changing out the tiny Hong Heng filter every twenty minutes, used filters can be dried and reused, you should not have too much of a moisture problem. I use one of the Tuxing three media filters after the Yong Heng filter and it has stayed usable for a year now with 20-30 minutes a week use. The smell will always be with you it is the oil in the crankcase of the compressor. Different oils smell different so you can change the smell but not get rid of it completely.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.65.73bf3038EAZHqm&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=d56fba52-1e30-4986-9527-01dcbb9bed7e&algo_expid=d56fba52-1e30-4986-9527-01dcbb9bed7e-9

It's a good idea to put the filter above the compressor in a vertical position to control the moisture better.

If you actually have oil in your water you have a serious problem. The cylinder piston is cracked or leaking around the rings and the cylinder is also leaking into the coolant pathways. Whole head assembly is inexpensive and should fix you up.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857981571.html

If you got a Yong Heng without the water separator, the "simple version", I would upgrade or replace it. The water separator is the aluminum rectangle to the left of the cylinder in the picture. If you are purging the system every five minutes and changing out the tiny Hong Heng filter every twenty minute, used filters can be dried and reused, you should not have too much of a moisture problem. I use one of the Tuxing three media filters after the Yong Heng filter and it has stayed usable for a year now with 20-30 minutes a week use.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.65.73bf3038EAZHqm&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=d56fba52-1e30-4986-9527-01dcbb9bed7e&algo_expid=d56fba52-1e30-4986-9527-01dcbb9bed7e-9

It's a good idea to put the filter above the compressor in a vertical position.

Oh, sorry, I was actually talking about the cooling water in the bucket. The water in there becomes oily, and stinky and I’ve noticed that it’s messing up the rubber hoses and pump. I was wondering if anyone had a way to filter out the oil from the water that I use to cool my compressor. Sorry I didn’t mention that. I do have one of the big coalescing filters to remove moisture though. So far it’s worked great and I can’t find any signs of moisture after the airs filtered.

If you got a Yong Heng without the water separator, the "simple version", I would upgrade or replace it. The water separator is the aluminum rectangle to the left of the cylinder in the picture. If you are purging the system every five minutes and changing out the tiny Hong Heng filter every twenty minute, used filters can be dried and reused, you should not have too much of a moisture problem. I use one of the Tuxing three media filters after the Yong Heng filter and it has stayed usable for a year now with 20-30 minutes a week use.

Oh, sorry, I was actually talking about the cooling water in the bucket. The water in there becomes oily, and stinky and I’ve noticed that it’s messing up the rubber hoses and pump. I was wondering if anyone had a way to filter out the oil from the water that I use to cool my compressor. Sorry I didn’t mention that. I do have one of the big coalescing filters to remove moisture though. So far it’s worked great and I can’t find any signs of moisture after the airs filtered.

If you actually have oil in your water you have a serious problem. The cylinder piston is cracked or leaking around the rings and the cylinder is also leaking into the coolant pathways. Whole head assembly is inexpensive and should fix you up. You will need a gasket , to the left on the order page, as well.

If you got a Yong Heng without the water separator, the "simple version", I would upgrade or replace it. The water separator is the aluminum rectangle to the left of the cylinder in the picture. If you are purging the system every five minutes and changing out the tiny Hong Heng filter every twenty minutes, used filters can be dried and reused, you should not have too much of a moisture problem. I use one of the Tuxing three media filters after the Yong Heng filter and it has stayed usable for a year now with 20-30 minutes a week use. The smell will always be with you it is the oil in the crankcase of the compressor. Different oils smell different so you can change the smell but not get rid of it completely.

It's a good idea to put the filter above the compressor in a vertical position to control the moisture better.

If you actually have oil in your water you have a serious problem. The cylinder piston is cracked or leaking around the rings and the cylinder is also leaking into the coolant pathways. Whole head assembly is inexpensive and should fix you up.

How do you check the gold filter to see if moisture is present? 

If you actually have oil in your water you have a serious problem. The cylinder piston is cracked or leaking around the rings and the cylinder is also leaking into the coolant pathways. Whole head assembly is inexpensive and should fix you up. You will need a gasket , to the left on the order page, as well.

Really? That doesn’t sound good. Shouldn’t it not be compressing air then if water is leaking into the assembly? I haven’t really noticed any moisture at all coming out when I purge the moisture filter. Seems very odd. I’ll look into it. Thanks

How do you check the gold filter to see if moisture is present? 

Pull the cartridge out and look at it. It will be very plain to see if there is any moisture there.

There should be zero oil in your coolant. If you have any sign of contamination, you have a problem. The lubricating and cooling systems are completely separate. If any oil is able to get into the water, water will be able to get into the oil and when that happens something will fail. I think that the only way that this could happen on this type of machine is if there is a crack in the upper cylinder or a leak between the liner and heads. Check the lubricating oil for any sign of moisture. That will confirm that you have a problem.

There should be zero oil in your coolant. If you have any sign of contamination, you have a problem. The lubricating and cooling systems are completely separate. If any oil is able to get into the water, water will be able to get into the oil and when that happens something will fail. I think that the only way that this could happen on this type of machine is if there is a crack in the upper cylinder or a leak between the liner and heads. Check the lubricating oil for any sign of moisture. That will confirm that you have a problem.

I just looked at it today again, and it doesn’t seem like oil. Maybe, idk. It doesn’t have that rainbow effect that I’ve seen on other occasions. Could it be lubricant or something else? Whatever it is it clumps up, but it’s very small amounts. It also leaves behind this yucky white residue/powder on the sides of the bucket. I’ll post a pic sometime to show you guys.

White powder is more a sign of corrosion. Do you leave it full of fluid when not in use? White gooish film that floats to the top is emulsified oil. That will give off a rainbow tinge. Is there a chance that your bucket may have contained oil before you used it for your pump?

No, but I did use a strong soap to clean it. I believe it’s called chemical guys honeydew soap. It’s meant for cars, but works great like a normal soap. Doubt that would cause corrosion though. I do leave it full of water.

The stuff floating on the water does look similar to what the soap looks like when it’s sat in water for a long time though. That might be it, but that doesn’t explain the stink and the white powder growing on the sides of the bucket.