A Warning...heed it, ignore it...I'm too old to be impacted!

The whole intent of this thread was to “stir the pot”. Airguns are already regulated by law which has been conveniently ignore by many. Yes, let’s defend our Constitutional rights. But let’s be clear, fellow air gunners who choose to shoot “big bore” PCPs are not the problem. In NYS if you hunt with an airgun it’s considered a firearm and subject to applicable laws no caliber distinction. If I plink with it in my backyard, not a firearm. So a moot original post, heck even slingshots are regulated, and not with Humas.

Here in the UK air guns a legally classed as firearms, as are things like pepper sprays etc.

The only difference for us is that below the 12ftlb limit (6 ftlb for pistolas) we dont need a license, although one needs an air weapon permit in Scotland.

As far as our law is concerned if it fires a projectile through a barrel, and it is "lethal" them it's a firearm. The law does not specify what lethal means, so if it could kill an ant it would be a firearm. Very badly written .aw really, that relies heavily on the courts and case-law to define what much of it really means.

It is what it is. Provided things dont get any tighter I can live with it.

Other countries have airgun regulated. Such as sup 12ft lb. In America, airgun are not consider firearm. Therefore it is not regulated. I can have a airgun that is 50 cal, 80 cal even 90 cal if I want. I can have it 100 ft lb or 1000 ft lb. I can have it semi auto and fully auto. Untill someone does a mass shooting with big bore airgun. I don't see it's gonna be regulated. Beside airgun are limited to how much air you have. It's easier to kill more people with a ar15 than a big bore airgun that only shoot 5-10 shots before needing refill. No bad guy is gonna go around shooting an big bore at people with a 100cf tank on his back lol.

I live in NY where some of the most anti gun laws in the country exist. if they ever applied the same rules to air guns . Price will go up as you would have to buy only from a ffl in state dealer. Fans of the sport that have minor criminal records would not be allowed to have air guns. Just be another reason to leave the state. As far as using air guns to commit a crime it is not the best way to do it powder burners are cheaper and more leathal . But you never know. Remember the left wants to take away your rights a little piece at a time. What I do is support the NRA and politicians who believe in the 2nd ammendment. We must stop the growth of Marxism in our country. Now that the colleges are brainwashing our children the political pressure against the left must continue. if we loose, the freedoms we have died for will have been in vain.

Reactions: Hepotter
Something we need to do is not be stupid. No mater what energy propels a projectile. You and I behind the trigger need to take responsibility. Shoot where safe. We know how many groups are against Guns, Bows, Knifes probably sling shots. Think before we post pictures or Talking about shooting where its not safe, talking about shooting animals that someone may consider a pet or beautiful. We can scream about having rights but it will fall on deaf ears. All of us of any age have seen our rights diminish. We need to responsible weather hunters, target shooters and teach others our sport can be safe and fun for everyone. 

This is why I'm NOT A FAN of big bores. They go waaaay beyond the niche that airguns fill. Usually just to show off what is able to be done.

Blurring the lines between airguns and powder burners? What did you think is going to happen? 

Now add YouTube to the mix with everyone trying to turn themselves into a celebrity with no regard for the consequences of everyone else. (See Demolition Ranch review of Airforce Condor ) Cringe!

Attacking a part of your own community in the hope it might buy the left overs a political pass . Who thinks that is a good idea? Makes one wounder who the enemy really is. Dont like big dont buy big. Bitching about calling for action against will only increase sales. It was not long ago airgunners were shure they had nothing to fear because ya know ( not firearms ) glad to see things are changing with us and many now realize we must band with and support the right of all gun owners regardless of what they shoot. Pitting springs against pcp or one caliber against another is not the answer would think a blind man could see that.

Reactions: Bullfrog
You are ignorant at least or a fool at most if you think it's only the "big bore" air guns that will create an incident that will bring about more laws and regulations on air guns if not full out bans. I don't know if these links below will work but you can Google search this topic yourselves and find plenty of stories of people being killed either accidentally or even murdered and committing other crimes with small caliber air guns. Take the first three stories I tried to link below. If you didn't read them all, the third link finally reviled what he used to commit his crime. A multi pump air gun (make and model not disclosed). Now give him an easily obtained and easily afforded .22 cal entry level (ultra quiet) PCP that we have available today. There would have been a whole different outcome to that story. So what would come next? Banning PCP's. Do you honestly think it would matter if he had a break barrel .22 cal rifle from Walmart? So we should ban spring and gas piston guns right after that too then I suppose. Caliber isn't the problem. How fast the gun shoots isn't the problem. The power plant isn't the problem.

There are plenty of derange people out there. And there's plenty of lack of parent supervision, lack of family values, lack of discipline and lack of respect that lead people down wrong paths in life. Don't kid yourselves big bore, semi auto and full auto air guns are not the problem and banning them is not a solution. Infringing upon peoples rights and freedoms is not a solution either and isn't going to stop a deranged person from doing bad things to other people. If there is intent the derange person will find a means to carry out their intent. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/22/nyregion/shooting-death-in-brooklyn-highlights-air-gun-dangers.html

https://www.apnews.com/c110b8fa0c508a5fa5c1f188eeb66fd6

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/59147551add7b049343ae526

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-balcony-shot-passing-dog-rifle-police/story?id...

https://www.local10.com/news/crime/18-year-old-man-accused-of-killing-neighbors-dog-with-pellet-gun

https://whotv.com/2014/05/19/woman-shot-childs-air-rifle-could-have-killed-me/

Reactions: ptthere
OK so let me be an outlier. Gun control is a complex issue, mostly because gun control doesn't actually solve the problem. The real problem is hate, anger, mental illness and the like. Society wants a simple answer, so taking guns out of the equation seems to be the simplest answer and they debate the "gun" while never addressing the real problem, hate and mental illness.

Last year, London, a city with virtually no gun crime, had a murder rate about equal to New York. The weapon of choice was the knife. The London Mayor attempted to stem the tide by barring mail order delivery of knives over something like 6 or 8 inches. That obviously didn't work. It did make it look like the mayor did something, but the problem remains.

The gun is an inanimate object. If you load a gun, lean it against the wall sufficiently supported so gravity won't pull it over and leave for a year or two, it'll still be leaning against the wall, loaded when you get back. It doesn't become dangerous until an angry person picks it up and gets behind the trigger. The same can be said for a knife, club, or any other weapon. People are the problem, but your average person in society doesn't want to admit people are the problem, the problem is complex and requires lots and lots of effort to curb, blah blah blah. You get the picture. At that point, guns are the easy target.

Politicians without a decent platform love fear. Every time there's a mass shooting, and we should all be respectful to the injured and killed this week, politicians stand and shout on the graves of the dead how evil the "Gun" is and that the simplest solution to the worlds ills is to remove the inanimate object that causes so much pain.

There is no simple solution and as the masses become less educated, more reliant on the government dole, less willing to take responsibility and more demanding of a perfectly safe world, the pressure on guns will increase.

We can slow the tide by setting examples, educating our neighbors and such, but it takes evangelism and time out of our busy schedules. No one is going to magically save us, we must do this ourselves. 

I’ve said this before we should make all things that can hurt someone illegal. By us doing this with narcotics, excessive alcohol and reckless driving we have saved millions and we already know for sure that it will work. And I just thought of something else reserve the Noble Peace prize for me, ban all military from using weapons that can kill we will never have another war. Peace in Our Time Hallelujah!!!!!

Only a few years ago, we didn't have repeating pcp airguns, and .25 was seen as an unlikely hobbyist caliber.

Today, we have 9 mm, .357 caliber, and 50+ caliber airguns. We have bolt-action, semi-automatic, full-automatic airguns, and pcp shotguns...

Let's be clear...given a multi-million dollar market...profit-driven industries will not stop bringing out more powerful airguns, until there is no further profitable market, or government intervention requires firearm type regulations for compressed air propelled weapons. (vis a vis: State of Illinois: 700 fps/.177 caliber limit)

Do any of you believe a bureaucrat will see a difference between pcp's and firearms, when the end result is a deadly projectile impact with a human being?

Average air gun hobbyists have to organize, and give notice to air gun manufacturers who struggle to grab market share from the competition by making pcp's bigger, more powerful, more deadly, that our sport is endangered by their actions.

If we can now delineate the difference between the small caliber hobbyist, and the large caliber, ultimate-power enthusiasts, we might survive the inevitable changes coming. A start is for responsible forum owners to move posting of information regarding large caliber air guns to a different forum! This segregation may be our only defense when the government comes calling!

There it is...unload on me haters, everyone else...step up and express yourselves. If we don't self-regulate, the government will most certainly do it for us!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

heed what this message says folks...the airgun industry IS on track for heavy regulation.

This is why I'm NOT A FAN of big bores. They go waaaay beyond the niche that airguns fill. Usually just to show off what is able to be done.

Blurring the lines between airguns and powder burners? What did you think is going to happen? 

Now add YouTube to the mix with everyone trying to turn themselves into a celebrity with no regard for the consequences of everyone else. (See Demolition Ranch review of Airforce Condor ) Cringe!

I have thought this as well. Sooner or later, a politician will shine light on this on a national stage, whether it comes after a "mass shooting," or just out of sheer Marxism and boredom. We have schools that suspend elementary students for chewing their Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun. The UK already closely regulates air guns. New Zealand is already talking about more gun control after their latest shooting this week, and politicians in the U.S. are already getting blamed in the media for not knee-jerking to it. It is not ridiculous to think that someone like Diane Feinstein wouldn't add air guns to her expansive list of firearms that she wants to ban every few years. It would only take one incident with preparation (like the Las Vegas shooter) to potentially ruin it for everyone.

Is this a thread about “bans” on airguns? Or, that more regulation is coming? Or just sheer conjecture? Last post on this thread, there are many, many other “firearms” the gun grabbers would have to “snatch” up first. Seems like some here like being alarmed.

These days, you cannot bury your head in the sand. Call it what you want, but politicians take your freedoms in a heartbeat if you don't keep them in-check. These are not conjectures. This is historical fact.

And the argument "There are many, many other firearms the gun grabbers would have to snatch up first." ... Is that a solid defense? No. That's like saying "take our nukes, but please leave us some cannons." If the powers-that-be take the firearms, they already are de-nutting you. We might like air rifles but protecting the 2A doesn't mean poop if the enemy takes everything away and leaves everyone with just PCP's. If that happens, forget airguns, because we already lost at that point.

Exercise your rights and be active. Period.