A warning for Leshiy owners (Graphic)

"cactuscycles"Ouch!...

However from a detached and scientific view, that is a fantastic example of the effects of a high powered airgun on living tissue including bone... I'm not going to volunteer to be a guinea pig but your sacrafice has lessons to learn and data to process...

That clearly would be remarkably effective on small game... Amazing it can pack so much punch into such a small package.

Fast recovery.
It was amazing how cleanly it passed through. It didn't push my hand forward at all, or feel like I had been "hit" by anything. In fact it took several seconds for me to realize what had happened. No pain for the first few minutes, then it came on strong. 

"Eric.G"
"cactuscycles"Ouch!...

However from a detached and scientific view, that is a fantastic example of the effects of a high powered airgun on living tissue including bone... I'm not going to volunteer to be a guinea pig but your sacrafice has lessons to learn and data to process...

That clearly would be remarkably effective on small game... Amazing it can pack so much punch into such a small package.

Fast recovery.
It was amazing how cleanly it passed through. It didn't push my hand forward at all, or feel like I had been "hit" by anything. In fact it took several seconds for me to realize what had happened. No pain for the first few minutes, then it came on strong.
Wow....shot through my hand with my compact Cricket a couple of years ago. I never posted pics as I actually was a little embarrassed. Lol. The pellet shattered a metacarpal in my left hand. I have X-rays and pics of hand as it swelled. I know what you mean after the initial shock that pain comes on strong.
That will be that last time you do that as we both know that personally. Get well and be safe.

That puts me in mind of an injury we saw occasionally back in my recurve hunting days. Sometimes the archer has a bad habit of putting his fore finger over the arrow to hold it on the rest during drawing. That works fine with field tip arrows, not so much with a nice sharp broad head.

That also put me in mind of the time that I was cutting out a board bow on my table saw. Turned my head for just a second. Almost paid for that with my right thumb.

Get well brother and never stop working that once it starts to heal. You might get to keep the flexibility in that finger if you just keep it moving while it heals.

A bit of an update:
I had my initial surgery today and it went about as well as it possibly could have.

BEFORE: (Actually this was after the surgeon had flushed it and removed the smaller splinters of bone etc. but it gives a decent picture of the damage) 

AFTER: (Several pins & Lots of "squishing" later and it looks like a joint Again.)

I'm super pleased with the job he did piecing things back together. He was able to get the majority back in place and if it heals well it looks like I'll be keeping my finger and might even have limited function.
Thanks Again to everyone for the kind words and encouragement, and stay safe.

Eric

"oldspook"That puts me in mind of an injury we saw occasionally back in my recurve hunting days. Sometimes the archer has a bad habit of putting his fore finger over the arrow to hold it on the rest during drawing. That works fine with field tip arrows, not so much with a nice sharp broad head.

That also put me in mind of the time that I was cutting out a board bow on my table saw. Turned my head for just a second. Almost paid for that with my right thumb.

Get well brother and never stop working that once it starts to heal. You might get to keep the flexibility in that finger if you just keep it moving while it heals.

I've seen guys slice a hand doing that as well. A few years ago an elderly gentleman was hunting the same mountain as me during Colorado's archery Elk season. He was carrying his longbow "loaded" with a broadhead, slipped, and managed to cut his femoral. He didn't make it 20 feet. It was an abbsolute tragedy and seemed so unlikely, but sometimes a series of seemingly small unfortunate decisions and bad luck come together just right (or wrong).

"pndofflesh"The first thing my son said when I told him I wanted a Leshiy was "be careful not to shoot your finger when you are aiming dad" . From the mouths of children are the clearest visions. Hope you heal well and soon. That looked painful.
Lee
​P.S. Still gonna get one. Thanks for the safety note that will always be in the back of my mind.
I think you'll be really pleased with it. Despite all of this, I'm planning on hanging on to mine. It's really cool to be able to grab that tiny case, throw it in the truck, and know you have such a capable gun wherever you go.

Here I am to joining this infamous topic :)
Last year I was hunting with my standard Edgun Matador R3M .25 cal, and at the end of the hunt I see magpies at 70 meters.
I was afraid to see me and run away, so I rushed and instead of the stock, put my hand on the air tank and the fingers of my left hand on the barrel :(
I was 100% focused on them and looked through the riflescope so I was aware of where I put my hand
When I pulled the trigger I heard a strange sound and indescribable pain. The gun fell from my hands and blood dripped profusely. At first I was aware of what had happened until I saw the finger, I realized that I was shot out! On the X-ray bone is a little cracked but remained in place but did not go into surgery. Today, a year later, the middle finger is great and the first finger remained a little swollen and I do not feel 100% in it, maybe 70%. I think I did quite well with the injury, because the .25 cal and 920 fps with JSB Kings could do a lot worse damage.
It may sound like demagogy, but it really is a great sentence SHOOT SAFELY