• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Unique Selling Experience

I had an opportunity recently that unique and wanted to share. We've all seen posts from new folks who want to get into PCP and some of us have sold guns to a new person. How many times have we wished we could see their face when they shot that gun for the first time? I know for me, selling to someone who is genuinely excited to receive the gun makes the prospect of parting with it more palatable.

Recently, I sold a fellow his first PCP. I'm happy to answer questions from anyone and this fellow had a lot. This is perfectly fine. I enjoy the banter and we've found a lot of common interests and I now consider him a friend. I packed up the gun and sent his way and a week later, I get an email with a link to a video. He actually made of video of his first shooting session. The 'wow' he mouthed when taking his first shots and his genuine excitement was amazing to watch. I almost regretted selling the gun at first because it was actually a really cool gun, but it just didnt get a lot of use by me....but after testing it for him, I almost wanted to keep it for myself until I saw the vid. 

Anyway, nothing earth shattering here. Just wanted to share a very cool experience and to point out that a little conversation, engagement and helping out a new person can reap unexpected rewards.

Take care, all!

Reactions: blackdiesel
This sure was a Win Win situation. 
I really like this part you wrote 

“I almost regretted selling the gun at first because it was actually a really cool gun, but it just didnt get a lot of use by me….but after testing it for him, I almost wanted to keep it for myself until I saw the vid. “

I hold onto way too much stuff that I don’t use. I could often find people who would happily take some of the things I really no longer use. 
But I have found most people do not have the same appreciation for the objects I’ve grown fond of. 
Im at the point in my life where I could just give away things. ( to close family and friends). But they would / do not appreciate them as much as myself. 
Happy to hear you found a good home for your super cool air rifle 

Very cool. I remember when I sold my first high end airgun about 4 years ago. .22 Daystate Renegade, was an absolute laser. When the buyer came to the ranch to shoot it and check it out, I let him shoot at 50 yards. He shot about a half dollar size group, and then said what's so special about this gun? I handed him my binoculars and told him to look at the target, and proceeded to shoot about a 1/2 dime sized group (1/4") at the same 50 yards. He "thought" he was a good shooter until he saw that. He said two things, "I need to practice more, and I'll take it..." ;)

Good post, Rob. I (also) always try to not only help newbies with questions, advice, and coaching, but consider myself an unofficial ambassador for airgunning (for about the last 60 years, or so). 

Oops, correction! I used to always try to not only help newbies with questions, advice, and coaching. But as of about 3 years ago, I realize not all newbies are 'created equal', and will (now) make exceptions.

Having rented two display tables at my shooting club's annual Swap-N-Shop, one table devoted to firearms and the other devoted to airguns, on the first day of the Saturday/Sunday show I spent a LOT of time educating another table-holder to airguns and PCPs. He did a lot of bragging about buying and selling hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of collectable firearms. Matter of fact, that was his business.

By the end of the first day he was interested in an awesome .22 Sumatra carbine on my table, plus everything necessary to get started in PCPs. We tentatively agreed to a price (a very good price for the buyer). So overnight I rounded up everything, set the rifle up correctly for his purposes, printed-out several pages of related information, and brought it all to the S-N-S on Sunday. 

Though our tables were separated by only one other table, he completely avoided making any eye contact until late afternoon; much less acknowledging or speaking to me. Finally, when I started packing my stuff to leave, he came over and engaged.

As promised, I took him over to a safe area and let him shoot the gun; while still educating. He was most impressed... then proceeded to attempt to beat me down on our tentatively-agreed price! 

At that, considering ALL I'd invested in helping that newbie... correction, YAHOO, I took the opportunity to tell him, "I'm not going to sell you this rifle." Taken totally aback, when he asked why not, I explained my selfless investments in HELPING HIM, and said, "You obviously neither appreciate my efforts, nor DESERVE this rifle."

At that he completely acquiesced, apologized, and practically begged me to sell him the gun. He had to do a lot of begging before I finally agreed. I still regret selling him that gun.

Though I still help newbies, be they customers or not, and still consider myself an airgun ambassador, now when/if I notice distraction, disinterest, or lack of appreciation, I find better things to do. Like sorting my underwear drawer. 

Hey y’all, I’m the individual who has been converted to the “dark side”. I’ll share the video with everyone of my first experience shooting a pcp riffle thanks to Rob.

https://youtu.be/HnsJcEbSFHQ

Meeting Rob on the forum has been a complete blessing. He took me under his wing and I feel I can’t say thank you enough for everything, nor convey my true gratitude for all his help, advice and more.. He’s gone completely out of his way to get me started in the pcp catagory.

When the rifle showed up I was, and still am, completely overwhelmed with his kindness and generosity(not going into specifics). Everytime I’ve interacted with Rob he’s been nothing but helpful and I’ve tortured him with exactly 1 million and three questions to date. I hoped a video of my first experience with the rifle would be neat to send along with my rambling thank you letter. I wanted him to know that his gun that he was reluctant to part with truly went to a good home, would be well used, and cared for.

I’ve shot this rifle almost everyday since it’s arrived and my springers must be getting extremely jealous. I have been completely spoiled by the pcp rifle. It has truly been a game changing experience. 

Not only has Rob been a great mentor he’s also become a great friend. I enjoy calling him up to shoot the breeze and yak about life, tinkering, metal working, and more. 

By the way I may have a springer or two to pass along if anyone is interested… 😁 lol