• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Trigger the Nova Freedom (and related Vista repeaters) Deserve

The ATI Nova Freedom, when first available about a year ago, excited a lot of interest because as a self-contained PCP with multistage pump, repeating action, and shrouded barrel, it's (almost) the functional equivalent of the popular FX Independence -- but at $379 shipped, it's only 1/4th the price!

One feature of this otherwise amazing rifle, however, that doesn't measure up to other aspects of its performance and quality, is its mediocre trigger. Although billed as an "adjustable 2-stage," it really isn't because like so many so-named triggers in inexpensive (and even some not-so inexpensive!) airguns, the "1st stage" does nothing but compress a "simulation" (trigger return) spring.

Consequently, since its "2nd Stage" does all the actual work of moving the sear to and through break (while the "1st Stage" contributes nothing), it must (for safety) require significant energy input from your trigger finger to fire. This translates to more pull weight than most shooters prefer (nearly 4lbs in current production guns) and (what's worse) motion (creep). This combination isn't ideal for accuracy or fun.

Since tinkering with airgun triggers is a long standing hobby of mine -- like this foray into the Diana Stormrider's...

1558106791_4772995135cded2a76c54f3.30401109_PlinksterSSfunction4.GIF

...and this into the Talon's...

1558106927_4414703705cded32f284f98.45415432_TalonTriggerParts5.JPG

...I started a similar effort to explore the potential of the Freedom's trigger. Here's the result.

1558107018_12918457645cded38a4638f1.19567794_NovaTrigger.GIF

1558107062_15864298435cded3b67637d2.56611477_NovaFreedomTrigger.JPG

1558107169_9707018715cded421959276.08088450_NovaTriggerInstall.JPG

Where to find it: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/parts/nova-freedom-custom-two-stage-trigger-upgrade/

Did you do something other then the information I gave you about adding the screw in your post here........................

https://airgunwarriors.com/airgun-talk/giving-the-nova-freedom-and-related-nova-vista-repeaters-the-trigger-it-deserves/

and now you are SELLING the screws for $30? at AOA? Am I missing something or are you selling 2 set screws and some hex keys for $30?

Information you gave? Do you mean your "three stage" absurdity?

If so, then yes. My design was complete, tested, and working before I started the original AGW thread, and you are missing -- quite a bit. For starters, it would seem you haven't read (or understood) how this trigger is adjusted.

Information you gave? Do you mean your "three stage" absurdity?

If so, then yes. You are missing -- quite a bit. For starters, it would seem you haven't read (or understood) how this trigger is adjusted.

I know EXACTLY how it is adjusted.........................EXACTLY how I adjusted mine, sans removing the "simulated" 1st stage spring. Only part I can't figure out, since I no longer have the gun, is how the safety still works.

Anyway if you sleep good at night selling 2 set screws and a coupe hex keys for $30 I guess everything is OK.

For those who don't want to spend the $30 you can get the same screws at any hardware store for under a buck.

Shameful I say.

Edit to add the text of the "information" I gave Steve on adding the screw and adjusting"

"Steve,

I actually turned my Freedom trigger into a "3" stage. I installed an additional screw into trigger unit in the hole to the left of the "trigger sear screw" in your 1st picture. This screw was installed approx 1/2 turn less then the "trigger sear screw" so that when looking at the pic it will be just slightly less sticking above the trigger then the "trigger sear screw".

The "1st stage" of the trigger is the "take up" of the trigger between the at rest position and when the "trigger sear screw" touches the sear. (If this 1st stage it taken out the trigger is at an angle where the safety will not engage) The "2nd stage" is the travel of the sear upward (from the force of the "trigger sear screw" pushing it) until the added screw touches the sear. The "3rd stage" is the travel of the sear via the additional screw until firing. If one were able to take out the 1st stage it would function as a normal 2 stage trigger.

I adjusted my screws starting with the additional screw. I adjusted this screw until the gun would not cock, and then backed it out until it just cocked. I then adjusted the "trigger sear screw" to be approx 1/2 turn "Shorter" then the added screw.

In an ideal situation the trigger and sear should be lengthened to the rear as this would greatly reduce the pull weight of the 2nd stage. My trigger was still too heavy for me, but broke very cleanly"

This is why guys stop giving info out on forums. I've provide info for FREE to help out airgunners. This is the 2nd time that someone on a forum has taken advantage of this FREE info and attempted to make $$$$$ from it. Won't happen any more from me.

Well, please compare the file date on the photo of my modified trigger that I included in my posts (3/15/19), to the date of that thread on AGW (3/24/19) when you provided your "free info.". Maybe you'll find that easier than comparing adjustment procedures.

1558665638_6569838735ce759a6d4fa84.16409548_temp.JPG

Michael,

No bickering from me, just stating facts

C'mon guys! We appreciate both of your contributions to the airgun world. Please refrain from bickering.

Thanks

-Michael

Thanks, Michael. Good advice. Refraining from bickering is always a good idea, and always easier when the topic is airguns rather than personal invective.

Oh you mean like this?

Do you mean your "three stage" absurdity?

or this?

Maybe you'll find that easier than comparing adjustment procedures.

BTW - here's a part of a PM when I was discussing the Nova trigger with Matt - notice the "Forum Date" on it. (photo taken 2/06/2019)

1558701997_8509579335ce7e7ad6b3fc7.17067337_trigger.jpg

BTW - here's a part of a PM when I was discussing the Nova trigger with Matt - notice the "Forum Date" on it. (photo taken 2/06/2019)

Yup. There it is again. Just as in the AGW thread, you have the sequence of operation completely backwards. The facts are that the mechanical ratios are such that the rearmost screw must touch first, making the 1st stage, then the more forward screw touches last, making the 2nd stage. This is why your adjustment procedure is misleading, the trigger it results in has a bogus "third stage," and is (just one of the reasons) why your claim that your "private message" anticipated my design is false.

1558706421_9374537375ce7f8f5b5b797.31521953_temp.JPG

Any clearer now?

This is really interesting. Any videos.of trigger pull and weights, before and after comparison, or of the installation itself?

Edit, saw vimeo address, could it be made a link?

Thanks. Actually a before/after comparison of pull weights: (4lbs vs 2lbs 5oz) is already in my original post. But it is kind of buried and i apologize if that made it hard to find.

But just as (or even more) important than lighter weight is the reduction in creep, which can be adjusted to zero without affecting the safety of the trigger.

By the way, Mr. Boat, for what it's worth...

I'd like to say that I regret the sour tone our exchange has taken and I apologize for my contribution to that unfortunate downward spiral. I'm no stranger to providing free information on these forums and having it not always received in the way I intended

For example: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/heres-a-free-to-all-idea-and-its-implementation-measuring-mv-without-a-chrony/#post-81011

Moving forward I hope we can put this episode behind us.