• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A strange story

I was gonna save this for the Hurricane Ian one year Anniversary, Sept 28. But being the impatient person I am, here goes.

Hurricane Ian didn't do any major damage to my place, thank goodness. However, I lost power for a few days, and it did make off with my Lanai roof and screens. For you non-Floridians, a lanai is what we call a screen porch. It just sounds fancier, more Floridian I guess.

Well I'd been through this before, and was prepared with my Crossman 2240, to ward off the vermin that was sure to decide to make my home their own. Over the next week or so I popped a couple rats, chased off 3 coons and a possum. After a while, the critters seemed to thin out, but I kept the pistols at the ready

Getting a lanai or a pool cage repaired after a hurricane is like waiting for hell to freeze over. The businesses are slammed, the insurance claims are slow, and the materials are scarce. It was the next May before they arrived to repair my lanai. In that time I popped a few more rats and chased off a couple more raccoons.

Just before Easter, my wife called me at work, to say there was a large rat in the house. She added, rather sarcastically, 'or a small bunny'. When I got home I looked for rat signs, but came up with nothing. Since it was already in the house, I armed myself with a broom handle, and waited.

Sure enough, when things got quiet about 10PM, I heard rustling in the kitchen. They do find the kitchen quickly, don't they? Grasping my trusty broom handle, I slowly walked into the kitchen, only to see something scurry off. Waiting there patiently, I heard it making it's way back to where I had seen it, and then, it emerged from under the pantry... a baby swamp rabbit!

Well, to make a long story short, that rabbit is now a member of the household. It eats better than I do and gets more attention than I do. But the worst part is, I am now forbidden from hunting rabbits, dammit. I haven't been rabbit hunting in many years, but beeing told that I CAN'T? Huh, rubs me the wrong way.

IMG_0327.jpeg

I feel your pain. Bunnies are off limits for me, also. All because we were outside checking our blueberry bushes, and when we looked around for my 2yr old daughter, she was sitting in a circle of bunnies no bigger than chicken eggs playing with them. Now all of them just get a stern talking to about staying out of the garden.
Mommy bunny now has a permanent burrow under the pinestraw mulch in the front yard. Every now and then she comes within arm's reach and rubs it in.

we rescude this guy from what apeared to be a atact on the nest from somthing? he was the only one alive and his skin was tore from his nose up past his ear. i have a freind tha is a vetenerian so i callled her she told me how to deal with the injury and stopped by to check on him.
he died of old age many years later.
here he is napping and a pic of his deformed nose

The 1st time my wife witnessed the "death flop" of a ground squirrel I'd head shot in our back yard (she freaked) I had to promise that our (small) back yard was a demilitarized zone. We now have a brood of little bunnies living under our deck. They ARE cute & have to admit I enjoy watching them play in the morning & evening. Luckily we have sharp shinned & cooper's hawks that took care of the ground squirrels around us. I've taken to protecting the bunnies from the hawks :unsure: :giggle:

Reactions: SHOMER and Nattboy