A squirrel in the pokey.......

Spent the better part of the day today walking our pastures along the wood line and practicing with range estimation to targets and generally just having a good day shooting and practicing with my Diana 34. Wasn't really hunting today, but I'm always closely scanning the trees when I'm walking the pasture edges. And this is why. A bit of hair caught my eye in a tree about 20 yards or so off the pasture. It was that squirrel tail hair just kinda bristling out and moving a little with the wind. I walked slowly another 5 yards or so and was able to get myself in a position to see that squirrel on an oak limb. I didn't have anything to rest on so I had to take a standing shot off hand. Took the shot and that squirrel immediately fell off the limb and landed with a thud. Perfect headshot. One CPHP 14.3g to the noggin. Took him to the house a while later and cleaned him up and in the freezer he went.

TR

1547161869_6232708005c37d10d9ef852.52488686_IMG_0606-1.JPG
1547161914_8321314835c37d13a6d3023.28784006_IMG_0608.JPG

Awesome shot!

I wouldn't have made a new post for 'this', but, it's on the same topic, 
so if no one minds, I'll just post it here..

Towards the end of summer, my brother in law really wanted to make a "Squirrel Pot Pie".
He spent a few days/nights popping and collecting squirrels, but, apparently a lot of them are needed..
That said, I figured that I'd help him out, and help my folks out at the same time..
They had a bunch of squirrels getting into their bird feeders and their garden, so...

I sat on their back porch, and waited until' I could get one in range..
Both squirrels were taken using a .22 cal Nova Freedom PCP rifle & JSB 18.13gr pellets.
One shot off hand, and the other shot, I braced against a railing.

The off hand shot was my favorite, as the squirrel was running from the neighbors property 
across the street then b-lining it through the back yard - probably hoping to make it up a pine tree..
Well, that didn't happen. haha

1547226409_20157800925c38cd29360ae1.83775048_Squirrel 1 Eye Shot 1.jpeg
<---- Braced / Steadied shot:
Right in the peeper, and lights out before he even knew what hit him. 

1547226509_6265468135c38cd8d1157d2.24431454_Squirrel 2 Neck Shot 2.jpg
<---- Free hand shot / moving:
I would have liked the placement to have been eye/lower-ear, but, 
this guy was on the move, and the neck shot still did him in.

Both were at a distance of between 35 and 45 yards, 
and Both made for some yummy eating later on.

Sam -

Great shooting with a springer.

I took my FWB124D out a month or so back and first squirrel was offhand, one shot one kill. Second squirrel I went 0 for 4. He was laid out flat on a limb high up in a tree trying to hide. I guess he got tired of those pellets whizzing past his head so he came down the tree and took off on the ground. Of course my buddy was watching the whole time. Lol.

Squirrel is fine eating. Got big fox squirrels around here. Quartered & panfried tastes alot like porkchops.

(Limb chickens, I detest the monicker “tree-rats”) A disservice to a fine small game quarry that’s put meat on many tables that would have otherwise gone without.
1f356.svg

Skillet, I could not agree more. I love them fried and served with white rice and brown gravy or made with dumplings. Just like chicken and dumplings but use the squirrel instead of chicken......and some corn bread! Never heard them called limb chickens....LOL. Thats a good one.

Thank you

Great shooting with a springer.

I took my FWB124D out a month or so back and first squirrel was offhand, one shot one kill. Second squirrel I went 0 for 4. He was laid out flat on a limb high up in a tree trying to hide. I guess he got tired of those pellets whizzing past his head so he came down the tree and took off on the ground. Of course my buddy was watching the whole time. Lol.

Randy, 

Its a good feeling when you pop them off hand and they fall dead right out of the tree. And I also absolutely can relate to your "0 for 4" squirrel. I've done that myself and anybody who says they haven't are either lying or just haven't hunted and shot at enough squirrels. It's frustrating as heck!....LOL. It'll make you check to see if your barrel is bent.

Thank you

Great story, awesome shooting! I couldn’t hit the side of a barn if I was shooting offhand. Much less with a Springer. My hat is off to you on that one. 

I generally understand that the Pokey is Jail, but that’s not far from a hole, or a bag for that matter.

Thanks intenseaty, You could do well off hand with enough practice. And I'm by no means Mr. Automatic shooting off hand with this rifle, but I'm getting much better. I've heard jail referred to as the pokey too. But where I am most folks understand a poke or pokey to be a sack or bag when used in a certain way. Anyway......

Thank you