Hatsan A Review On My Magnum Springer: The Hatsan 125 in .22 (5,5mm) Caliber

Hey there folks, I hope you've all had a great start of the week!

This is going to be a brief review of an almost brand new and little used (barely tested out) Hatsan Mod. 125, that I bought some year and a half go. I have heard a lot about Hatsan airguns over the years, both good and bad and I've always wanted a big, heavy "Magnum" springer, that would feel like a real .338 Lapua mag. rifle, but in a form of an airgun.

Since I really didn't know what I was going to get with this Hatsan 125, I just decided to go with a spring-piston driven version of it, instead of the Vortex, because I've seen a lot of accounts, on multiple occasions, of these Vortex gas rams either being under-powered, or leaking air pressure and losing their strength entirely. On the other hand, I've rarely seen or heard of any instances of mainsprings breaking on Hatsans, I've read about a couple of them on older Hatsan mod. 55s and Striker 1000s, but nearly not as many, as of the Vortex gas piston systems. Also, I don't have a whole lot of experience with gas pistons and I also think that springers are easier to maintain and troubleshoot, should the need be. I've gone with a .22 caliber version, as the .177 really made no point at all for me, because I'd have to shoot heavy and expensive pellets out of it in order to bring the velocities down. So far, I've got some 150+ pellets through the gun and the cocking has been made a little easier now that the gun's been broken in. It's still a beast to cock, at first I thought the 50-60 pound cocking effort (as it's been labeled by the manufacturer) was a bit exaggerated, but I soon found out that they were pretty much spot on. Although I do feel that the gun is heavy on the cocking, I could still shoot it all day long with no issues. I guess I'm of such physique, or stature if you will, even though I'm not a particularly strong guy, which allows me to shoot just about any airgun without getting fatigued too much over time - Or it could also have something to do with adrenaline, which is, at least in my opinion, one hell of a drug :coffee:
Shooting is just such a thrill to me, it completely takes me over :)

The Hatsan 125 - Standard, fitted with a Leapers 4x32 AO:
base.png

I like the safety switch too, it works like a real hammer on a powder burner, although its travel is rather short.

When I was out shopping for a Hatsan, I decided to go with the regular stocked version, with just the plain "Monte-Carlo" styled plastic stock, as I liked the simplest variant the most, apart from the other two, the thumbhole one and the Sniper variant. The gun is already heavy as it is (coming in at 7.9 pounds), so I didn't exactly want the extra weight of a heavy stock, such as that of the Sniper variant. Although I have to say, that the Sniper stock would certainly tame the harmonics of the recoil a little better (and therefore potentially increase some accuracy) than the regular version does, even though it comes with the SAS and the DynaPad, which I actually quite like, cause it's a nice looking and comfortable recoil pad. Nevertheless the recoil is still harsh, even with all of the rifle's dampening features, but the issue I'm still struggling with is in the severe hold sensitivity of the gun's stock, if I don't hold it in the same spot each and every time, the fliers start occuring on the target and the shots go all over the place. Some folks have suggested to simply lay the front end of the stock into an open palm and then the accuracy will improve... I have yet to try out different holds and grips, perhaps leaning the rifle onto the front end of the barrel will help out with the accuracy, who knows... :confused:

Speaking of barrels, I noticed that the TH version of the 125 has a hooded front sight at the end of the barrel (which is good), but a very short muzzle piece, which is a con, because it doesn't give you that extra, comfy leverage of the muzzle piece, that really comes in handy for cocking the gun. All in all, I like the standard version because of that more, than any other - it has the best properties of the other two and offers a good balance between shooting comfort and utility. Besides, I'm used to shooting guns with traditional stocks anyway, but I believe the TH version allows for a better grip.

1693277697468.png

What I really like about this 125 model is the breech on the barrel, because unilke with some other brands such as Gamo, or Crosman, when you tap on the barrel to get the breech open, it opens up just enough to insert and seat the pellet into the barrel without having to cock it all the way first. I really like that, because I usually load the pellet into the barrel first and then I cock the gun. The one troubling thing I've noticed however, is that the bore is slightly "over-the-bore-specs" in diameter, not too much, nothing exaggerated, but nevertheless I'm going to have to lead the outlines of the pellets' skirts along the chamber and manually fit them to the bore. I know that Hatsan's got a bad habbit of putting over-bore barrels on their guns, it's nothing new, I've been reading about these issues for quite a while now. However, the barrel on my gun looks pristinely smooth on the inside, all the way to the end and the crown is alright too. I know that these guns can deliver good accuracy and mine certainly can, for as long as I'm gripping it right (although I'm still trying to figure out which gripping technique is the best - I'll find out in time). In addition to all of this I should also point out, that 15.89gr JSBs flew over the chrony slower than 18 grain Norica Premium pellets, of the 5.53mm head diameter. Apparently the Noricas seal the bore better than JSBs, which is strange... I've yet to try out some JSB 18.13gr Heavies, with 5.53mm head diameters. I think the gun's going to like those; In fact, I'm almost certain about it.

pels.png

Right now, I've got a Leapers (the old Leapers, not UTG) 4x32 AO scope mounted on this gun, and before you guys start asking questions about it, yes, it's the one my friend gave away to me and surprisingly IT HOLDS ZERO, for when it was on my friends' gun, it had a loose reticle and only the lower half of the reticle stood in place, the upper one was jumping around, or otherwise flickering a bit. Apparently the shock of the recoil on this gun is so pronounced, that the momentum in which the lens flickers happens so quickly, that it's completely un-noticable. Anyway, I didn't send the scope back to UTG, because I wanted to find out what would happen, if I put a partially defective scope as such, on a magnum springer. And found out I have, it's amazing that the lens didn't fall off, or otherwise worked itself out of place by unthreading itself in its module/erector tube... Nevermind, it stopped flickering around and it holds zero. Good enough for me! Now, the mounts I used were two-piece, scope rings that came with the scope and they have a 22mm Weaver base, which is just perfect, because these newer Hatsans have dual-mounting rails, for both 1913 picc. mounts, or otherwise 22mm Weaver mounts, and for 11mm dovetails. The bases of the rings loosen up after some 50-70 shots, because of the guns' kick, and therefore have to be re-tightened every so many rounds.

glass.png

So far I've tried out the following pellets and two types of slugs: JSB Exact 5.52/53, H&N Baracuda 18, H&N 21gr Slugs, JSB KnockOut Slugs .216 (these don't work at all, probably not enough power for these), Norica PREMIUM 18gr and the Norica FIELD LINE, and I've somewhat determined that Norica 18 grainers and JSB Exacts, both 5.52/53 work pretty well, however I'm not exactly certain how the H&N slugs perform, haven't had enough of them through the gun yet...

Here's the groups, and as I've stated up above, I haven't exactly figured out how to hold this thing right yet, it's pretty hold sensitive.
tar.png

Experience will certainly yield better results, or perhaps they have already - I'm gettin' better, see... The 16mm central group speaks for itself, the gun can shoot, but only if the shooter is consistent, relaxed, and breathes the right way. If these conditions aren't met, then there are fliers;

11 shots in the black, the other 7 are just fliers, the gun works fine.
trg2.jpg

This target was set up on a pole, at 25 meters and there are 20 hits on it (all of the shots taken).

While I was browsing for a scope (in the end I got it from a friend), I came up with a terrible idea. The idea was to line up the top of the chevron with the red fiber-optic on the front post sight, in hopes of getting a point of reference... And as most of you would assume from the image beneath, it didn't work at all. What in the name of... was I thinking?! 🥴

Behold: The one and only, true slavic red-dot:
reflex.jpg

Even though it's cursed, it kind of looks cool innit?

Well that wraps up this review, I'll keep on shooting this gun and se what happens... Will it break, will it start shooting even better with time? Who knows, we'll see in a year or two... Have a good one folks!

Last edited:
Nice review..

Funny that thing about crosman and gamo not opening enugh to load a pellet without "cocking" i had to go check that .. yup the bottom 1/4+/- of the leade hole is blocked justtttttt enough without having to pull on the barrel that little extra that takes away your free hand to load one in ..lol. but also the gamo you can cock and losd ot and decock the gun . Hatsan cant safely decock ( or mine can't be)..

Anyway looks like a good fun gun so enjoy. 👍

Nice review..

Funny that thing about crosman and gamo not opening enugh to load a pellet without "cocking" i had to go check that .. yup the bottom 1/4+/- of the leade hole is blocked justtttttt enough without having to pull on the barrel that little extra that takes away your free hand to load one in ..lol. but also the gamo you can cock and losd ot and decock the gun . Hatsan cant safely decock ( or mine can't be)..

Anyway looks like a good fun gun so enjoy. 👍
Thanks man!
But yeah, I wouldn't even want to decock this beast of a gun, it's still a bear to cock.

Thanks man!
But yeah, I wouldn't even want to decock this beast of a gun, it's still a bear to cock.
That gamo was too at first . Man my cocking arm was sore then i jokingly used a superman 2 hand grab to cock it . Now it's nuttin but a thing . But that first week or 2 ouch. 😁

I think going spring over ram was best move

Ya my hatsan 95 the ram went flat . Worked great when i put it up that night grabed ot the next day cocked it and thought that was kinda easy (???). Loaded it , pulled the trigger and puttt. Just shot the pellet out the barrel about 20y ..lol. Welp thats that for that.

That gamo was too at first . Man my cocking arm was sore then i jokingly used a superman 2 hand grab to cock it . Now it's nuttin but a thing . But that first week or 2 ouch. 😁

I think going spring over ram was best move

Ya my hatsan 95 the ram went flat . Worked great when i put it up that night grabed ot the next day cocked it and thought that was kinda easy (???). Loaded it , pulled the trigger and puttt. Just shot the pellet out the barrel about 20y ..lol. Welp thats that for that.
I don't know why I keep reading here and hearing on YT, one and the same thing, over and over about Hatsan's gas rams, the Voxtex gas pistons. What you've described with your 95 has probably been reported over a hundred times by now. I guess Hatsan, whether it's the original Turkish gun or made in the USA, just can't get the formula right, for their gas pistons to last a long time. I've read some comments the other day, on AirgunDepot and PyramidAir, from people who bought Hatsan break barrels with their Vortex gas rams, and this same issue was quite common in the comments section there. I'd suggest to people that, if they're already going to get a Hatsan, to get a springer, with the good ol' coiled mainspring in it. You've said it man, going spring over ram's the best call to make.

Like that barrel sling clamp assembly. I did a quick search but could not find it. Where did you get it? Before I thought the only way to put a sling on a gun without swivels was the Gamo loop around sling. Thanks for posting.
I got it here, but they don't have this two-sided rail model anymore... it just said NATO barrel mount/clamp - Weaver 22mm.

Your best bet would probably be Amazon or some gun store... I honestly don't know. You can try MidwayUSA too, they used to have these once.

????..

Well on a hw 35 thats where hw puts it..

But for me it just would probably cause the action to pop open or that inconvenience somehow.

Honestly not many other options on a break barrel i guess.
The latch-action on the 125 is really stiff, no way it'd open when put on back.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I've got the.177 sniper version and I totally agree that it's not a good caliber for the 125. I have found it shoots jsb 10 grain knockouts pretty good and the barrel seems pretty tight. Cocking the thing is a chore but it's more of the motion needed as I'm use to cocking my Diana m48 which is almost the same cocking effort just in a different movement. I couldn't pass up the price as it's a referb so it was around half the price of a.22.

I did disconnect the sling on my HW 35E when shooting at home. Just easier to handle and takes out a variable if I accidentally set the gun on the sling. The HW 35E has a barrel lock so the sling works. I used a Gamo Slip-on Sling on my RWS 350 but it only worked carry the gun barrel pointed to the ground.
That's why I recommend attaching a good QD mount for a sling loop, on the barrel mount. So that you can take the QD key out and unattach the sling from the rifles' barrel, just as you've explained with your Weihrauch, when shooting at home.

My 125 likes these alot. 21.14 grain

View attachment 384729
I only tested the Baracuda-18s and they perform outstandingly well, but only when shot off-hand; if I rest or support the gun on a tripod, they don't really perform as good as the JSB Heavies in either 5.52 or 5.53mm. When shooting off-hand the difference between H&N and JSB pellets is virtually non-existant, but that's most likely due to the heavy recoil of the gun generating the same amount of deviation in accuracy. I'll give them a try, if I'll get my hands on them somewhere in my country - I'll probably be able to find them somewhere, but I'll probably get a tester pack first. ❤️ Thanks for the heads up!

I've got the.177 sniper version and I totally agree that it's not a good caliber for the 125. I have found it shoots jsb 10 grain knockouts pretty good and the barrel seems pretty tight. Cocking the thing is a chore but it's more of the motion needed as I'm use to cocking my Diana m48 which is almost the same cocking effort just in a different movement. I couldn't pass up the price as it's a referb so it was around half the price of a.22.
I get it, but then again I think it's worth looking into the ballistics of heavier or as is the case of the mod. 125, into really the heaviest of pellets ( I said pellets, as there is no guarantee that your 125 specifically will shoot slugs well - it might, but I wouldn't rely on it ), in terms of dealing with wind drift and aero-dynamics in comparison to the .22 or .25 caliber. I quite honestly think that, if you're getting a Hatsan mod. 125 and are looking for maximum stopping power, maximum retained energy at longer distances and solid penetration for hunting, in combination with a large wound channel, then the .25 caliber is the way to go, but if you're looking for maximum penetration in combination with good long-range ballistics (less drop at longer distances, better aerodynamics of the projectile - leading to greater accuracy, also because of lower recoil), but less impact energy futher down range, then the .22 caliber is the way to go.
The .22 is in my opinion truly the best all-around caliber for both, up to 35 yards small to smaller-mid game hunting and long range plinking, or simply destructive shooting. The .177 with specialized AP ammo might give even better penetration than .22 cal. ,but certainly with a smaller wound channel, leading the animal to run away... Unless this kind of ammo has some good hydrostatic shock properties, but even then I think that .177 will only grant you a clean kill with a headshot, that is of course, if you've gone with a .177 for hunting... Otherwise, for target shooting, I still think the .22 is also better for long range, as the standard heavier weight will stabilize the projectile in .22 cal. better than in .177. Remember though, that lower velocities of the projectiles in combination with good enough FPE at longer distances will produce lesser wind drift than faster flying lighter projectiles. However, what I honestly don't know is what kind of difference does the circumference of the pellets, the diameter of the caliber that is, play with aerodynamics in relation to wind drift... Let's say we have a .22 and a .177 pellet, weighing in at the same amount of 15.43 grains, that is 1 gram, flying at similar velocities of, let's say around 850-900 fps out of the mod. 125 Hatsan with a whatever spring system. Which pellet will be more affected by the wind at 60+ yards, the .22 or .177 ?!

That's what I don't know, because I've never delved into it much, but I'm certainly curious about it...

Look at the GA bc of both and you will see that the.177 will buck the wind much better. It's the sectional density difference between the two. The.177 will have a higher sectional density. Ballistics boy could tell you for sure as I'm just going off of what he has said.
Interesting, I'll look into it. What kind of targets are you shooting and what is the farthest distance at which you've hit something with your 125 Sniper? I have pushed my standard mod 125 all the way out to a 100 yards for now and can consecutively hit a 12 oz. beer can with ease.