• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A rebuild on my Roll Around Compressor Stand

Hello everyone,

Well I decided to do a rebuild on the Compressor Stand while I had the Yong Heng Compressor out for an oil change. I noticed a very slight erosion around the output side on the brass bulkhead fitting. The problem was my fault for using a stainless star washer which set up some electrolysis. I went ahead and applied 3 coats of Yellow paint to the inside of the 5-gallon water tank for two reasons; 1) help insulate the aluminum plate and 2) to make it much easier to see the treated water in the tank. I also decided to completely isolate the brass bulkhead fittings from the tank. First I oversized the holes in the tank so that the bulkhead fittings could be “centered” in the holes thus isolating them from the aluminum plate. Next I bought some dielectric ABS material ( the black plastic in the photos ) and precisely drilled two .75" holes spaced exactly “center to center” to match the holes in the aluminum. This arrangement gave me almost a 1/8" clearance around the brass from the aluminum. Now the brass bulkhead fittings are not in contact at all with the aluminum tank material. Finally as an added precaution I applied a layer of Silicone to the interior side of the ABS material before attaching both pieces to the tank. I hope the photos make clear this procedure.

Reinstall the water pump, the compressor, the light, the top and all I need now is 4 gallons of distilled water with the water treatment and this baby should be ready to go for another year.

ThomasT
Compressor Stand Rebuild.100a.jpg
Compressor Stand Rebuild.102a.jpg
Compressor Stand Rebuild.106a.jpg
Compressor Stand Rebuild.107a.jpg
Compressor Stand Rebuild.110a.jpg

Hello again,

WOW, went to the store and bought some Distilled Water and added the Treatment and filled the tank. Man does that red water show up against the yellow. I added the 90 degree elbow to the Return Water and eliminated almost all the sound and any splashing, this is "cool" :cool: , pun intended :p

ThomasT
Compressor Stand Rebuild.115a.jpg

Reactions: rcs9250
Nice, clean setup Thomas. I've figured out a way to use a ballcock valve to divert flow direction so I can empty water from cooling jacket in between compressor runs. Trying to keep corrosion to a minimum. I read in the past this helps. (A picture would help but can't do it right now).
Hello @Gerry52

Thank you. I have a third brass bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the tank and a brass ball valve that I use to drain the water. I just roll the stand out on my back porch and lay the plastic tube from the valve out on the ground and let the water out. With this treatment added to the water I only change the tank now once a year. The "old" water is still clean, red in color, with no build up and no smell.

Here is a link to the thread about the NAPA treatment chemical:

ThomasT

Last edited:
I was a fabricator for ever. You have some serious weld time in that cart. 👍👍
Hello @rcs9250

Yes sir you are correct, I love fabricating with aluminum. The plate is 5052 marine grade .125 thick and I use ER4043 .035 wire. Had all the pieces Laser Cut and computer bent to shape.

ThomasT

Reactions: Str8tshooter
Didn't take me long to get sick of dealing with water - went to Home Depot got a water hose connector to fit the tubing - hook it up and let the return go out on the driveway - always has cool water supply no need for ice or any type of coolant - when finished I use my general purpose compressor and dry out the water jacket.

Reactions: ThomasT
ThomasT, that is an outstanding set up. I wish I had the ability to weld, I would copy your set up. Great job
Hello @Tackleberry

Thank you sir. You could use wood like 1 x 2 and use glue and screws. The water tank you could find one in a heavy plastic.

The aluminum is strong, light weight and will last forever and I had all the material in stock. I did have to pay for the Laser cutting on the plate and the computer bending.

As the photo shows it is in my wash room in the house and that is where I use it most of the time. When I set up indoors in my shop to shoot I will roll it in there.

ThomasT

Didn't take me long to get sick of dealing with water - went to Home Depot got a water hose connector to fit the tubing - hook it up and let the return go out on the driveway - always has cool water supply no need for ice or any type of coolant - when finished I use my general purpose compressor and dry out the water jacket.
Hello @Bill_D

The way my unit is set up I don't waste any water, the NAPA treatment maintains the water for a full year. Actually probably longer but I like to clean everything up and check everything over real good.

ThomasT