• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Quick Look at the DiscoveryOpt 3-15x50 ED-LHT Scope (video inside)

Join me as I burn through some of the worst .22LR ammo I've ever purchased in my life as we take a look at the DiscoveryOpt ED-LHT 3-15 scope!

I've had now 3 Discovery scopes and honestly they can't really be beat for the price, considering you get a bunch of freebies included with them. I got the 3-15x ED-LHT that sports Nikon glass to play around with. Decided to mount it to my Ruger 10/22 and hit the range after a match to burn through some of the absolute, hands-down, WORST .22LR rounds I've ever experienced but I just can't ever seem to get to the end of the 2000+ rounds of it that I bought.... (I need a full auto, tbh).

Anyway, the scope is pretty dang nice for the price and here is the video:

⬇️ ⬇️ ⬇️ LINKS⬇️ ⬇️ ⬇️
https://www.discoveryopt.com/products/90?cid=bedf51fd (25%discount code: Air Shootist-ED3-15)
If you prefer Amazon: DiscoveryOpt 3-15x50 ED-LHT Scope: https://amzn.to/48R0Mqi (10% discount code: Y5IJG3NA)
DiscoveryOpt 4-20x50 ED-LHT Scope: https://amzn.to/3HI1QRm (10% discount code: Y5IJG3NA)
DiscoveryOpt Precision Mounts on Amazon: https://amzn.to/48ypWd1 (10% discount code: Y5IJG3NA)

Last edited:
Great video, thank you. I assume that the scope is fine for PCPs as well, is that correct?
Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure its OK to use even on like a 50BMG. The reason I used it on that 10/22 is mostly because I have a brick of this garbage ammo laying around and I wanted to shoot some more of it. Don't sleep on Discovery Optics, man! Super nice glass for what you pay!

Thanks for your nice comment, btw!

Reactions: Great_Days
Thanks for the video! I am a fan of ordering these Discovery scopes factory direct. Last time I got a good unit, so I'm going to try this little 2-12x24 SFIR scope next. There's some good selling points in this model, so we'll see if it handles the dialing up and down and get a true side by side comparison to the 3-12x44 SFIR as to light transmission at dark.

Thanks for the video! I am a fan of ordering these Discovery scopes factory direct. Last time I got a good unit, so I'm going to try this little 2-12x24 SFIR scope next. There's some good selling points in this model, so we'll see if it handles the dialing up and down and get a true side by side comparison to the 3-12x44 SFIR as to light transmission at dark.

I used to love Discovery scopes. 👍🏼

However, Discovery has, ever since they have revamped most of their scope offerings, stopped listing a critical piece of information on every piece of publication where this should be standard: The minimum parallax distance!

What can you tell us about the HD and ED models: Which one has 10y or 15y parallax?

Thanks! 😊

Matthias

I used to love Discovery scopes. 👍🏼

However, Discovery has, ever since they have revamped most of their scope offerings, stopped listing a critical piece of information on every piece of publication where this should be standard: The minimum parallax distance!

What can you tell us about the HD and ED models: Which one has 10y or 15y parallax?

Thanks! 😊

Matthias

On the Discovery website I saw this picture before buying and it had me intrigued. There's a 5 on the parallax adjustment knob. I'll let you know when I get it exactly what it does parallax down to, and also how precise and finicky it is.

FYI, the Discovery 3-12x44 SFIR parallax adjustment goes down to 11+ yards on high magnification. As an experiment, I was going to try and adjust it through moving the front ocular lense, but haven't messed with it yet.

Screenshot_20240201-235409.png

On the Discovery website I saw this picture before buying and it had me intrigued. There's a 5 on the parallax adjustment knob.
View attachment 431180

Yupp. I see the 5.
But in the bottom right corner, the scope seems to be a different model. It says: "HD 2-12x....."

I'll let you know when I get it exactly what it does parallax down to, and also how precise and finicky it is.
View attachment 431180

I would very much appreciate that. Then I can put trustworthy data into my Scope Specs Tables I'm posting here. 👍🏼

Matthias

Yupp. I see the 5.
But in the bottom right corner, the scope seems to be a different model. It says: "HD 2-12x....."

I would very much appreciate that. Then I can put trustworthy data into my Scope Specs Tables I'm posting here. 👍🏼

Matthias
Yes, apparently the Discovery factory is making a couple of different lines of scopes. The scope in the video showcased in the @AirShootist video is new, with ED glass (an ultra-low dispersion ED optical system sourced from Nikon). The other scope line that I bought has HD glass. It is advertised as "high definition" "fully multi-coated"lenses, but doesn't say the source. Here's their whole line of scope's.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirShootist
I’ve enjoyed Discovery optics, my only complaint is the FFP at low magnification can be really difficult to see..

Jake, 😊

you probably know this, but just to make sure:

➊ Normally, FFP scopes at the lower end of the magni. are not usable for holdovers, only for aiming with the cross hairs.

● The larger their magnification range of an FFP scope — the worse this phenomenon gets.
E.g., a 4-12x has a 3-fold range and might be fine for holdovers if you have great eyes — but a 3-18x is 6-fold, and this makes it so much harder.

● If you want the reticle to be thicker so it is better visible at the bottom end of the magni — then at the top magnification it might be a bit too thick for some people's taste. And vice versa. Again, this effect is stronger the larger the magnification range is.

➋ For the reasons of the above point, the reticles of FFP scopes should have thick outside posts.
At low magnifications these thick posts guide the eyes toward where the crosshairs meet. Which is important for aiming at the target when the shot is rushed.
In my survey of scopes I found about 1/4 not having these thick outside posts.

➌ When using the FFP reticle at low magnification it helps to turn on the illumination (and better yet if it is daylight bright).

Hope this is helpful to some.

Matthias 😊