A question to Joe

Joe awhile back I brought a Hawke Airmax 4*12*42 Scope. After a while of living on top of my HW 77 the poi started to shift. Checked all the usual stuff screws etc but after each zeroing in the poi would shift. I put the Hawke on my 22 Trail as the gas ram in this rifle is much lower in power compaired to the standard NP rams and I thought this mightn’t effect the poi as much but after a few shots the same thing happened.

I returned the scope from where I bought it for repair or replacement. A week or so later a gentleman from the shop identifying himself as the “long term scope tester” for this shop, a Hawke representative and an independent witness all agreed that after bashing and turning the turrets and again the emphasis of more bashing of the scope and useing the Hawke representatives scope tester nothing was wrong with my scope. He was quite adamant about this and went as far as enquiriing about my shooting ability. The funny thing is that I told him that after removing the Hawke from my 77 I fitted a cheap 4*32 UTG that after zeroing held and is still holding zero. He still said there was nothing wrong with the scope and that it was either the rifle or me.

I know this is a bit long winded but my question is. Without securing the scope to a rail like you did in your videos how can you tell if the scope is holding zero after bashing it. I don’t know what type of scope tester they had but it seems to me that you need to secure the scope to find movement or not. Any light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Thanks Pat I’ll give that a go first when they return my scope. I was also thinking of shooting a group of twenty useing my LGV with its UTG Scope ( this package at the moment is accurate) then fit the Hawke, zero it and fire another 20 pellets, rezero if needed and fire another 20 pellets. Then refit the UTG and zero and fire another 20 pellets, taking pictures of each group. I’m pretty sure this would show if the Hawke scope is faulty.

Do you think this process would be worthwhile.

Thanks

Gary

I've had pretty much the same experience with Hawke, not saying they are alone in this area of customer service. I sent one scope to them that the reticle had rotated to the right about 45 degrees, they sent it back said there was no problem! I sent it back to them both times on my dime they finally replaced it. I have bought several Hawke scopes and sold them all for this very reason, didn't see myself going through this again. I have seen several Hawke scopes for sale over the years, new in the box replacement scopes.

I'm not Joe, but I own Hawke scopes. I would contact Hawke Optics USA at 877.429.5347. This is the warranty department. Talk to these folks and I think you might get a better resolution. I don't think they wilI ask you to "bash" it in any way. Keep us informed. 

If I was a betting man you might have run out of adjustment in the turrets and with out knowing it you are not engaging the the rector spring any more. This will allow the rector tube to "move" or "float" therefore causing the POI to shift. Talk to the folks at Hawke and they will walk you thru a very simple test to help find the optical zero or mechanical zero for the rector tube.

good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Reactions: mmahoney
FunGun you sir were correct. I had my scope returned to me a couple of days ago. I mechanically zeroed it as you suggested and put it on my LGV as this rifle is faultless as far as accuracy and reliability are concerned. A couple of clicks on each turret and it was bang on at 25 metres. Hasn’t moved in 3 days.

I didn’t put it on my HW77 as it’s having issues with pellet selection at the moment and I didn’t want to second guess which was pellet or scope.

Thanks again

Gary

Great posts guys to help out a fellow airgunner . I never saw the thread with the new forum problems I haven't been coming here as much since it doesn't send emails about threads Im subscbing to. 

Gary honestly there are a Ton of guys here who know every bit as much ( and many times Way More ) about scopes as I do . 

I'm just A.D.D. as hell about scopes and I've never seen a new one I didn't wanna try . Hawke has good customer service as you can see and glad they ..and the guys..got ya back rolling.