• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A question on shipping and insurance .

I recently shipped an LDC to a customer insured as all of my packages are. I just received an e-mail from him asking where his LDC is in the build process. Well, I checked and it was shipped on the 29th and shows it as delivered on the 1st July. My customer says he has not got it, if the PO claims to have delivered it and the customer says he has not got it, can a claim be made under the insurance, or will they deny it and say it was delivered? I am kind of screwed here because I will have to replace it and do not see why I should pay insurance to have it denied. I have seen the PO screw up too many times with my own packages to think this customer is not being truthful. I have tracked packages coming to me and they have said that they have been delivered and I have not got them, they came the next day and the driver said she marked it off but forgot to leave it. Will the PO pay out on the claim or not, do any of you have experience with this? Thanks, Neil.

Mods. sorry for posting this here, I looked for an off topics forum and could not see a more suitable place to post this question, Neil.

I do not send any packages with signature required unless requested by the customer. I have had all kinds of agro from customers when I have sent them like that, it appears they do not like having to take time from work or whatever they are doing to make sure they are home to receive the package. So they are only sent like that when requested. I have spoken with my local PO and they have told me he will have to go to his local PO and make inquiries with them to see where the package is. And before you put the blame on the sender when a customer gives an address to ship to, they have a certain responsibility to make sure the address they give is a secure address, responsibility can not all be put on the sender. .His first response was I should have notified him when it shipped, that was done and he was given an expected delivery date as well. I will have to wait and see what his local PO says. 

The FedEx guy in my area is always delivering packages to wrong address. I regularly receive my neighbors packages. 

If there is no signature then it will be hard to prove. Doesn't stop you trying to make a claim but I think you'll end up having to eat it. That has always been the case when I have been in your situation (with Fedex). Now I ask for a signiture for anything of value.

You could ask him if he would mind asking his neighbors if they got his package by mistake. It took me over 3 weeks to give my neighbor her XXX large yoga pants so you never know. Hopefully it wasn't just stolen from his door step. 

I've gone through something similar. It was just a little rc helecopter. I checked the tracking and the front porch throughtout the day and finally usps site said it was delivered. Nothing on the porch tho. Mind you the tracking said delivered at like 1:44 and I checked the porch at 2:30. I called the PO and they said well it shows we delivered it to XXX address. I said well that's the house across the street not mine. They said well we will try to contact that person to see if they will return it and not to talk to the neighbor that they would handle it. After a week I called the PO again and they said the had not gotten in contact with the neighbor and would keep trying.
F that, so I walked across the street and asked my neighbor if she'd gotten a package for me. She said no and I highly doubt the lil 90 year old lady would lie about it so I rang up the PO again. The next response was well that was just where they parked the truck to deliver it not necessarliy where they delivered the package. We have no reason to believe he didn't deliver it to your address. It must have been stolen off your porch. Thats out of our hands. Next I contacted the seller and he sided with the PO and basically said I was SOL and he would be happy to sell me another. By the time all this had gone over I was out of the ebay gaurentee and got no sympathy from them either. In the end I never got my rc copter.
I believe that pretty much all insurance is BS (its almost like "they" think of all the ways to deny every claim before even offering insurance) and I'd imagine there is some legalese saying the insurance is only applicable to goods damaged in transit and were packaged properly. Since the PO doesn't package things for you they can always say they couldn't verify that it was packaged safely and deny you there. There is another obvious loop hole in that they can just mark anything delivered and technically they fullfilled their obligation.
Assuming that buyer is being honest, either you get paid once for two products, the seller pays twice for one product, or you could both be screwed equally and offer a replacement at half off. I highly, highly doubt the PO will make it right.

I kind of feel the same as you Adam, I doubt if the PO will cover the loss or admit they delivered it to the wrong address. They have delivered empty packages to my customers before now and have denied those claims so why would they pay out on this one. I honestly wonder if insuring packages with the PO is worth the money, they always seem o have some kind of reason to deny a claim and since they are government run you can not sue them! I doubt if the customer is lying so you are right I will most likely have to eat it and make another one, but this time it will be with the stipulation that unless he pays for a signature required he will eat the loss if this one does not get to him, Neil.

We ship over a thousand orders a week via USPS. Anything over $100 we always require a signature. Forget the USPS insurance its a total joke. You have to wait 3 months to make a claim and still they will wriggle.

We use Fedex or UPS where a value gets up to and over $250

If a shipment goes missing and says its delivered try this

Call the post office and ask who the usual carrier is for the particular delivery route. Ask them to request the carrier if he recalls the shipment
Contact the recipient and ask they check neighbors and describe how you packed the shipment

Also advise all concerned PO and recipient you are filing a case with Postal Inspection

You will be amazed how quickly it will appear usually!

Ben as i stated in one of my responses, I do not send any requiring a signature unless requested by the customer. I have had some very bad insults from customers when I have sent packages requiring a signature, some have even told me they will never order from me again because of how much it inconvenienced them, sometimes you just can not win as a maker, whatever you do it is going to upset someone. I( have been told by my local PO to tell the customer to go to his local PO and make inquiries at his end, not much can be done at this end, although I have filed a lost package claim with the PO online and hope this will get some action, not holding my breath though!

I checked on shipping a package once, USPS priority mail was $6-80 UPS wanted nearly $20 . I charge my customers $10 for shipping and insurance, most of the time with insurance it comes to about $10-51 no big deal, but if I use UPS the shipping takes longer and the cost would at least double, passing on that extra cost to my customers is not really an option and I can't afford to eat the extra $10, I am already spending about 3 to 400 a month on shipping as it is! Neil.

Bruce you have no idea how many e-mails and inquiries I get, if I have to price everything for UPS and the PO it is going to really increase my work load, like my wait times are not already long enough! It is just not something I can do, if a customer specifically requests that I use UPS then I may oblige, as long as they are willing to pay 2 or 3 times what I charge them for priority mail. I have no problem using another shipping source but I just do not have the time to price every single shipment with USPS and UPS, just not feasible, Neil.

Great, after being given a hard time and being told that the customer had not received the LDC. It turns out he is out of town and his wife has received the package, why on earth would this NOT be checked before giving me a hard time about the package not arriving? It would appear that the PO was not at fault here at all! At least I don't have to make a replacement and the customer did finally get back to me and own up, so it has a good ending. Neil.