• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A question of power.

Obviously I am still very new to air rifles and I was wondering if there is a general classification system for the power level?

An easy comparison (for me at least) would be how rifles classify the cartridges . Pistol, intermediate, standard, magnum and then shoulder dislocators.

Wanting to describe a springer that shoots a 14 grain pellet @ 750 FPS. I know it is reduced power compared to what other spring can accomplish, but is there a name for it?

TIA

Obviously I am still very new to air rifles and I was wondering if there is a general classification system for the power level?

An easy comparison (for me at least) would be how rifles classify the cartridges . Pistol, intermediate, standard, magnum and then shoulder dislocators.

Wanting to describe a springer that shoots a 14 grain pellet @ 750 FPS. I know it is reduced power compared to what other spring can accomplish, but is there a name for it?

TIA

'FPE' foot pounds of energy. This is a formula to denote how hard of a whack the pellet hits with. Its a combination of pellet weight and fps. Also makes possible meaningful comparisons between different weights/calibers/pellet speeds.

Here is a fpe calculator...

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Calcs.html

TIA

'FPE' foot pounds of energy. This is a formula to denote how hard of a whack the pellet hits with. Its a combination of pellet weight and fps. Also makes possible meaningful comparisons between different weights/calibers/pellet speeds.

Here is a fpe calculator...

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Calcs.html

Perfect!

So, from the calculations the 22 cal pellets is 17.49 fpe. I assume that is a moderate power factor?

The Brits are limited to 12 fpe and they do fine shooting game birds, hares, rodents, and the occasional water buffalo!

It doesn't take much to be effective at airgun shooting distances. 30 fpe used to be considered "high power", but nowadays things have changed. For many years I hunted with a .177 caliber HW-55 springer and I did just fine on small game out as far as I could reasonably shoot and expect to hit something.

17 fpe is a great gun to get started with. Enjoy it and in a year or so you will determine whether to move along to something different. The choices today are mind boggling compared to just a couple of years ago.

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

"...git them damn kids outa my yard, and quit telling folks I edited my post!!!"

. 700-760 fps with 14.3 grain premiers i consider a medium power (fac) spring / piston adult air rifle. these are generally the same air rifles that are rated 1000 fps (with lead pellets) in .177 . there's lots grey areas where one power range overlaps another, and i think that's what others were mentioning above...some of the turkish and spainish 1000 fps rifles shoot around 770 fps (or more) in .22....air rifles that shoot over 820 fps in .22 with standard crosman pellets , i consider magnums. - so , for me , springers that shoot harder than the 660-700 fps a benjamin pumper can do are medium powered . another thing i consider is the weight of the air rifle as most mags weigh over 8 lbs. 30 ftlbs is about the top of the food chain for spring / piston air rifles. a good anchor i use for this is the hatsan model 125 (walther falcon hunter) . they come out of the box averaging 965 fps with 14.3 crosman premier hollow points and is one gun i know that will actually mushroom this hollow point. hope that helps. - rane on . -ps: that 17 ftlb area mentioned above is a pretty good place to start in .22 , but really falls off after 40 yards.