• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A question for those of you that hunt squirrels in the woods

Do you think an illuminated reticle is good to have when woodswalkikg for squirrel?

• Yes, it's vital

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yes, I prefer it

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I don't care one way or another

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • I don't like illuminated reticles

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Look for nutbearing trees, and keep a look out for nut fragments on the forest floor. Squirrels love white acorns more than red ones. You can see a variety of acorns in the photo below if you look closely.

View attachment 318905

The still hunting technique is the best I've found for squirrel hunting. When I walk to a spot on public lands, the squirrels will know I'm there when I'm 50-75 yards away. So when I get into an area, I just post up and be very quiet for 15-20 minutes. Around that time, squirrels will pop their heads out to see if the coast is clear. If you don't see or hear anything in 20 minutes, trek another 50-75 yards in, and try again.

A pair of binoculars really helps you see the squirrels, because they blend in very well with tree bark. I have since upgraded my kit with s thermal monocular, which really helps pick out the squirrels!
View attachment 318906

Squirrels will also move to the opposite side of the tree to hide themselves. You can use this to your advantage when you are with your wife by having her walk towards the back of the trees, and this will flush the squirrels backaround to your side so you can take a shot.

I also wear camo, which keeps me undetected.

View attachment 318908

View attachment 318907

Thermo is straight up cheating…….need to get me one soon! 🤣

Fellow Illinoyed resident here.

I recently learned after ordering a .25cal Avenger, the hassles of IL (air)gun ownership. Anything over .177 and 900fps requires an FFL transfer in this state. I already had a FOID card so I could bring in my guns from my home state and so my FIL could gift us a few guns before he passed.

@UCChris - not sure where you are but make sure where you go to hunt allows air rifles and the caliber you plan on using. Most places I've found require at least .22 for squirrels. I think you mentioned a .177 for the wife, that might be a no go in some places. And I would highly recommend removing any moderators, as I read all the IL rules including the DNR website, I am fairly certain that would be illegal to use while hunting.

Lots of places here with mature wood stands that have oak and hickory mixed through out, those two trees are staples in their diet. Find those trees, find lots of squirrels.

And don't forget your orange hat. lol

Good luck.

Reactions: UCChris
Most places I've found require at least .22 for squirrels. I think you mentioned a .177 for the wife, that might be a no go in some places.

Thanks for this info! Everywhere I've read has said airgun up to .25 caliber, so I'll go back and review that. Also, thanks for the heads up on the moderator. I thought since .177 isn't a firearm then it was outside of the regulations.

Thanks for this info! Everywhere I've read has said airgun up to .25 caliber, so I'll go back and review that. Also, thanks for the heads up on the moderator. I thought since .177 isn't a firearm then it was outside of the regulations.
You're welcome.
State regs may be up to .25 but many places listed on HuntIL have site specific regs saying at least .22cal. It makes it almost impossible to really figure it all out, lol.
The problem is not how you read the rules/regs but how the ranger or warden that hassles you does. Also keep in mind that they are pretty thin on the ground so probably not worth worrying too much. I prefer to err on the side of caution on public lands.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
You're welcome.
State regs may be up to .25 but many places listed on HuntIL have site specific regs saying at least .22cal. It makes it almost impossible to really figure it all out, lol.
The problem is not how you read the rules/regs but how the ranger or warden that hassles you does. Also keep in mind that they are pretty thin on the ground so probably not worth worrying too much. I prefer to err on the side of caution on public lands.

Been reading up on hunting in Indiana for squirrel/rabbit and it sounds much easier.

Everywhere else is easier! Luckily I have 5 heavily wooded acres to squirrel hunt(not many rabbits though).
I'm hoping to get a large caliber like .45 to deer hunt MO next year.

Living the dream! I went from living on the outskirts of a small Utah town to 25 minutes south of Chicago. It's been quite the shock when it comes to enjoying shooting/outdoors.

Living the dream! I went from living on the outskirts of a small Utah town to 25 minutes south of Chicago. It's been quite the shock when it comes to enjoying shooting/outdoors.
I can't imagine living near Chicago. I like visiting but too many people for me. LOL
I went from living in the woods way out of town to living in farm country a mile from a small town about an hour from St. Louis.
At least I can get great beer and there's lots of squirrels and good fishing!

In response to the original query I haven’t had a decent Illuminated reticle scope yet. Mine are cheap. Leapers, Pinty, and CenterPoint. Even at the dimmest visible setting there s still too much glare reflected from the reticle. Usually don’t have time to fuss with that sort of trash when a shot presents itself.
Catching up with the general discussion, IMO a 14 fpe .177 is plenty big medicine for squirrels. I like .22 and .25 cause I’m a sorry shot and I appreciate the slight advantage in lethality of the bigger bores.
Find a food source near a water source and you’ve got a squirrel hunting spot. Add some mature hard woods and you’ve got the ideal spot.
Good luck!

I use the ir while squirrel hunting. Mostly in the early mornings when the woods aren't yet lit up. It's not necessary, but it can come in handy. I'll turn it on first thing and turn it off when the sun lights up the woods. I really needed it when I was pesting in the farms out buildings.

I'd go hunting a few times before purchasing one. That should give you an idea if you'll use it.

@UCChris Did you and the wife ever get out to hunt squirrels? If so, how’d it go?

We ended up missing this season. She's been dealing with some health issues. We determined that hunting in Indiana next door was much easier than hunting here in Illinois, but by the time we were ready to purchase hunting licenses, the Indiana DNR website only showed 2023/2024 licenses available for purchase.

Back home in Utah, you can purchase a license whenever you want and it's valid for a calendar year. It looks like Indiana sells their small game licenses in an April-April block?

So now I'm trying to find anyone near me that has access to farm pesting until next small game season.

@UCChris That sucks. It is very convenient when you can purchase licenses that lapse on the date that you purchased them. I suspect you all will be better prepared next squirrel season with the information you’ve gathered this year and last year. I hope that you, your wife, and her physicians get a handle on her issues and that she recovers.

@UCChris That sucks. It is very convenient when you can purchase licenses that lapse on the date that you purchased them. I suspect you all will be better prepared next squirrel season with the information you’ve gathered this year and last year. I hope that you, your wife, and her physicians get a handle on her issues and that she recovers.

I appreciate the kind words!

Reactions: Ezana4CE
If you were closer, you could hunt at my place, I've got enough squirrel to go around.
Have you considered the onX hunting app?
A deer hunting buddy showed it to me. The paid version shows land boundaries which is super helpful in finding/knowing you're on public land. For instance we used it to find Corps of Engineer land to hunt on. It also can breadcrumb your track among many other features.
I just tried it last season, I'm definitely buying it this coming season. I think it's $18-20.