A question for those of you that hunt squirrels in the woods

Do you think an illuminated reticle is good to have when woodswalkikg for squirrel?

• Yes, it's vital

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yes, I prefer it

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I don't care one way or another

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • I don't like illuminated reticles

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
My wife and I are going to squirrel hunt for the first time and we have to go to a designated hunting area to do so. Since we're going to be traipsing through the woods to do this, I'm wondering how vital having an illuminated reticle is when trying to get on a squirrel amidst a bunch of branches. I recently had to eliminate a small pest from our garage and it was very difficult to see clearly with the black reticle in our garage during dusk when the pest was active.

I have to say that all of my scopes have an illuminated reticle and the only time I use it is the very first time I take it out of the box just to make sure it's working. After that, I almost forget it's there. For my normal shooting, I just never get a chance to use it but it's nice to know it's available should I ever need it.

I never use the illumination feature in the scopes I own that have it, except to play around with it. I believe the best squirrel hunting tactic is to have a scope with a relatively coarse CH (in comparison to a fine target CH), and supplement it with a hand-held rangefinder. Alternatively, use a scope of sufficient power at the upper end for ranging with it, having it accurately calibrated with marked distances on the focus wheel.

Reactions: SHOMER and UCChris
I chose didn't care either way, I use them sometimes and in the woods it would be beneficial obviously. Just get used to seeing that lit up because it does throw me off sometimes. I start to focus ON the reticle and not the target.

I'm a bit OCD and buy scopes with illuminated reticle just to make it all even on the 3 sides of the scope tube. I refuse to own a scope where the illuminated reticle control is on the rear diopter bell... and whoever decided to make them on the rear AND at some stupid angle... it just looks fugly like that.

Reactions: SHOMER and UCChris
I own a few illuminated reticle, but have never used them. I'm sure as i get older I may appreciate them, but I have yet to use them. I am not a big fan of battery operated things...even all my watches (and I have a ton---close to 100!) Are mechanical and most are self winding.

I know they have their place, I'm just waiting to find it for me.

pretty much, theres no time to be twisting knobs in the heat of battle and the apparatus makes the scope bulkier .. id say there are situations where a lit ret can help like low light and the critter is in the shadows obscuring the lines but ... so far in 50 years ive never got 'that shot' by having a lit ret on ...

Depending on how dark the woods/shadow might be and depends on the reticle. If it’s fine reticle/FFP then IR is very nice to critical. In heavy wooded areas there are bright areas with rather dark shades and shadows which makes finer FFP reticle near invisible, I would leave IR on during the entire hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
With a SFP scope I’ve never needed an illuminated reticle for squirrel. I focus on a good zero yardage that has me covered for the distances I shoot when squirrel hunting. I tried hunting in the woods with FFP but it’s more of a handicap than a help. It’s too difficult to follow squirrel at or near max magnification or struggle to find the precise aiming point even it it’s glowing at lower magnification.

My wife and I are going to squirrel hunt for the first time and we have to go to a designated hunting area to do so. Since we're going to be traipsing through the woods to do this, I'm wondering how vital having an illuminated reticle is when trying to get on a squirrel amidst a bunch of branches. I recently had to eliminate a small pest from our garage and it was very difficult to see clearly with the black reticle in our garage during dusk when the pest was active.
So did you guys go hunting yet? How did it go?