• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A quality, simple and reliable PCP for field work ?

great suggestions, dont forget to look at air sources , which means that can cut into your budget for the gun , a pump is not the thing for your wanted gun .
Say you buy a ......... .30 cal , that is going to come with a 300 cc tank , MY pistol has a 40 cc tank and takes about 12 minutes to pump from 1/2 fill to full fill
watch a video on how to pump a pcp up . looks easy HA ! RIGHT i just answered a post from 2 years ago posted as 23 minutes ago ???????????????????

My airgun owning and testing now exceeds 500 covering a hugely diverse variety, but concentrating evermore heavily on PCPs over the last three decades. When I'm so bored to play the "which airgun if you could have only ONE" game, it invariably comes back to my .22 Brocock Bantam HiLite.
Phenomenal accuracy, good hunting power, excellent shot-count, light, short and handy virtue of the semi-bullpup configuration, and regulated consistency without regulated issues virtue of the Sling-Shot firing system. A priceless gem... at Rhinestone prices.

Bantam.JPG

Bantam 100.jpg

Given the age of this thread, I assume the OP has made a decision. If not, I will second the recommendations for both the Daystate Revere or the FX Royale 400. They are both relatively simple and tend to be very reliable. The Taipan Veteran is also in that reliability category, but I don't find it as comfortable to carry and shoot as the more classical rifle designs.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Benjamin Marauder is made in the USA, regulated, has a Lothar Walther barrel and is just under $700 leaving you money for a scope. Build your own in the custom shop so you can have options on stocks barrels and breeches.

https://www.crosman.com/custom-shop/
As far as trouble free I own a gen 1 Mrod in .25 and did the battle of the clipped o rings for years due to sharp edges on openings of the main tube for things like gauge block etc. Unless they have corrected this I would recommend against my gun due to this issue. I spent a lot of time deburring this last time and so far its held 3K psi for a week but it has done that before only to develop a leak. I still love my gun but it can be a pain in the lower regions. Also get the .25 as the bbl. is, was?, made by Green Mountain and superior to the .22 which is made in house. Edit: The .22 bbl. on the standard Mrod was made in house and quality was hit and miss. Im not familiar with the new regulated field target model. You would have to investigate the bbl. maker and if it can be turned up enough for hunting. In .22 I would want something around 35 ft. lbs. or more for hunting. If you are thinking about using slugs you might want 40+ ft. lbs. Im probably going to get hammered here but I bought an old school AT44 QE Loooooong in .25 direct from Hatsan as a closeout for $300 if you're on a tight budget. Its very long and the mag is short so no poly mags unless they come out with shorts. Its been in production for almost ten years so it is well known here.

Last edited:
What would be the most reliable, simplistic and least maintenance hungry PCP rifles ?
Im a pretty basic/classic style of gun user.....could care less about the latest and tactical looking air gun with 100 adjustment options. Just give me a solid, reliable and easy to maintain rifle and Ill be happy. What’s your suggestions ?

caliber: .22

primary use : hunting

single or multishot

budget for rifle only : $1k
You say a budget of $1K. Is that rifle only or for a setup including air source and scope? If its for a setup then your going to have to get creative and do some shopping. The most to be saved or spent in that case in a HPA fill station. For a scope check out Athlon Talos 4-14-44 FFP Xmass tree etched illuminated reticle on a 30mm tube at Midwayusa on clearance for $200. Thats a lot of scope for the money and it focus down enough for Air Gun usage. You can save $$ cobbling together a CF fill station made with a used fire dept tank with a year or two left on the hydro. That would leave you about $600 for a rifle. In the $600ish range I really like the new Benjamines that are made in Turkey. So far I think they are not offered in .25 but .22 heavies or slugs would work for hunting. You could squeak this together for a grand, maybe a touch more.

Last edited:
My first PCP was a Benjamin Marauder Pistol. I shoot it as a carbine. With the stock I made for it and a Hawke 2-7 it weighs just over 5 lbs. I tuned it up a little in power to about 18 fpe and it has been a reliable squirrel killer. Very accurate.

My favorite PCPs are my 3 P35s. I have a 177, a 22, and a 25. All are accurate but the 22 has shot the tinest groups. I shot one 3 shot group testing pellets with it that is no bigger than a single pellet hole (at 25 yards). You have to like bullpups to want to go this route but if you do, I highly recommend them. They are regulated. If you do not mind a rear cocking lever, the P15 is even lighter but the P35 is just over 5 lbs unscoped. That is a couple pounds lighter than a lot of the other rifles being recommend. I'd prefer not to carry an extra 2 lbs if I don't need to. The P35 is a pretty simple PCP design with almost all metal parts. Mine have been reliable and I will not hessitate to take them hunting (just got the 22 and 177 which I need to hunt state game lands in my state).

I also have an Avenger in 25 caliber and it is also an accurate rifle and I have it tuned to the most power. It is only a little heavier than the P35s. But it has a lot of plastic parts. It is also VERY long, especially if you add a moderator. If you go for the wood stock or the bullpup it gets heavier, more in line with something lime a Marauder.

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL.

Mine was perfect out of the box, haven't touched anything.

I get around 40 shots per fill.

The most accurate Airgun I have shot, and it ain't bad to look at either.

AOA has the non-regulated for $999.
I believe my vote would be for the Regal as well. My shoots amazingly accurate anytime I take it out. Very simple and no adjustments are normally required. Great trigger, never touched the Regal I have now or on the one I had in the past. I did regulate mine but it's totally unnecessary. I've seen them for sale in the classifieds in the $800 range on a few occasions. As the OP mentioned it sounded like he prefers a classic style so another box checked.