N/A A pleasant suprise

Set up a can filled with water at approx 70yrds (68yrds exactly), and I swear I saw a glimpse of a sideswipe blow on the first shot that failed to knock the can over. So i proceeded to shot two more without any change to POA. To no avail, still didn't notice any movement on the can.
Frustrated, I go down range to check out what's going on (as i know quite well my holdover for this shot) and saw I nailed all three shots under an inch😁
20230816_113753.jpg

20230816_113623.jpg

20230816_113636.jpg

Thought it was worth the share😅

Set up a can filled with water at approx 70yrds (68yrds exactly), and I swear I saw a glimpse of a sideswipe blow on the first shot that failed to knock the can over. So i proceeded to shot two more without any change to POA. To no avail, still didn't notice any movement on the can.
Frustrated, I go down range to check out what's going on (as i know quite well my holdover for this shot) and saw I nailed all three shots under an inch😁View attachment 381164
View attachment 381165
View attachment 381163
Thought it was worth the share😅
WOW impressive
looks like a RWS 34? 0.22 caliber? with a Hawke 3-9X scope?

With groups like that, your rifle deserves at least a 32x power scope.

Or Maybe not. You should bring it AS IS with the 3-9X scope to a field target shoot and surprise some people.

Whoa Alberta Canada...I think the closest FT club might be in BC (if they are still active) or Tacoma WA state. Thank gawd you are not down South here in California. I would hate to shoot against you.

Mr. Jet, just to give you an idea of the difficulty level.
Those shots are approximately 68 on the Troyer scale...usually in FT we shoot at a Troyer of 28-35 (plus minus).

Last edited:
That is seriously impressive! Obviously you can hold up your end, what can you tell us about the gun?

Nothing special really...
Diana 280 .177cal 12ftlb with a 3-9x40 Hawk Vantage AO.
I love it though, sweetest shooting springer I've ever had by far (and the most accurate).
20230816_124151.jpg

20221208_182007.jpg

WOW impressive
looks like a RWS 34? 0.22 caliber? with a Hawke 3-9X scope?

With groups like that, your rifle deserves at least a 32x power scope.

Or Maybe not. You should bring it AS IS with the 3-9X scope to a field target shoot and surprise some people.

Whoa Alberta Canada...I think the closest FT club might be in BC (if they are still active) or Tacoma WA state. Thank gawd you are not down South here in California. I would hate to shoot against you.

Mr. Jet, just to give you an idea of the difficulty level.
Those shots are approximately 68 on the Troyer scale...usually in FT we shoot at a Troyer of 28-35 (plus minus).

Thank you for the kind words!

66yrds is a shot I've practiced a lot with this thing to be honest.
It was getting pretty easy to get a solid hit that it came to the point to focusing on getting within the Pepsi circle to make it fun. Usually get the can to pop up and get knocked off with a decent split after a shot if the can was filled with water, which is the only reason I did another two when the first shot didn't move it. I knew an extra 2 yards wasn't going to make too much of a difference in dope😁

Actually kind of interested to actually sit down for some real groups on paper at this distance and see what I can come up with.

*I would love to try this thing on an FT course btw, will have to search around to see if anything pops up within a working time frame within western Canada.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words!

66yrds is a shot I've practiced a lot with this thing to be honest.
It was getting pretty easy to get a solid hit that it came to the point to focusing on getting within the Pepsi circle to make it fun. Usually get the can to pop up and get knocked off with a decent split after a shot if the can was filled with water, which is the only reason I did another two when the first shot didn't move it. I knew an extra 2 yards wasn't going to make too much of a difference in dope😁

Actually kind of interested to actually sit down for some real groups on paper at this distance and see what I can come up with.

*I would love to try this thing on an FT course btw, will have to search around to see if anything pops up within a working time frame within western Canada.
I tried my American tactical Nova liberty 22, it's basically the gun before the avenger but more close to the avenger X without the regulator gauge.. it has open sights and I wanted to see how far I could hit the target.. started at 100 yards with a 24" plywood and a 3" bullseye.. I've only shot open sights for a lot of years.. no problem at 100 yards so I went to 150 and good.. went to 200 and no hits anywhere.. so I worked back in to 160 and good tight group.. out to 170 and nothing on the target.. some high, low, sides but nothing hit the 24" target and yet at 160 compensation for drop and windage every shot in the 3" bullseye.. I gave up and decided that it must be out of it's range of power.. because I can easily stretch out 22 rimfire to 1/4 mile and hit a gallon can with every round. just wondering if anyone has any idea of what happened between 160 and 170 yards.. yes bullet drop would be low but I had some higher too.. wind change could be account for side motion but I expected to at least hit the 24" target if it was in the 3" bullseye..
could it be pellet tumbling like a friend of mine had with the wrong barrel twist to ammo.. but that was 223..
I'd appreciate any ideas for why it went from a 3" target to completely missing the 24" target..
I was actually hoping to see it's drop and pattern and well it might be asking too much, but I was hoping to see if I could at least hit a 24" target at 1/4 mile.. I expected a large elevation hold and quiet the arc of the pellet, but I stopped since I couldn't get any pattern.
also I asked somewhere else on the forum about the umarex gauntlet 30 caliber and how far it might be able to stretch out.. appreciate any ideas or suggestions..
thank you
mark

Can you hit it off hand?
As a boy i always shot my BB gun off hand so that’s still my favorite. Shooting off hand takes me back.
The HW50 is a great little gun.

View attachment 381246

Not too bad offhand with her especially when out hunting in the field, but definitely do more supported shooting with targets or plinking.

That stock on that 50 is apsolutly gorgeous btw!

It's a JM stock. Thank you. I was hitting the bottom end of the water bottle in the picture at 65 y off hand. Hitting it most all shots once I found the holdover. walked up on it along a trail. Then stepped it off.
3-9x40 Hawke sits atop.
I really like the HW 30, 50, 95. Great for carrying and off hand shooting.
I'm leaning towards a Custom Stock UK thumbhole w skip line checkers for my next .177 HW50.
Problem with nice stocks is I sweat when I let others handle my guns. Not a problem for me using them, though. But I do like to share. Keep them in 10$ soft cases with labels on and they don't get boo booed up. Worst thing would be if your gun got gacked and you aren't even using it. 😬
I have so many guns in soft cases. A LOT. I got tired of unzipping and peaking so I put string tags on them all.

It's a JM stock. Thank you. I was hitting the bottom end of the water bottle in the picture at 65 y off hand. Hitting it most all shots once I found the holdover. walked up on it along a trail. Then stepped it off.
3-9x40 Hawke sits atop.
I really like the HW 30, 50, 95. Great for carrying and off hand shooting.
I'm leaning towards a Custom Stock UK thumbhole w skip line checkers for my next .177 HW50.
Problem with nice stocks is I sweat when I let others handle my guns. Not a problem for me using them, though. But I do like to share. Keep them in 10$ soft cases with labels on and they don't get boo booed up. Worst thing would be if your gun got gacked and you aren't even using it. 😬
I have so many guns in soft cases. A LOT. I got tired of unzipping and peaking so I put string tags on them all.

Awesome shooting, didn't notice the water bottle.

The HW50S in .177cal was my favorite Weihrauch, the Diana 280 is very similar in feel and power level. I would get another 50 if it wasn't for the weird factory stocks they have on them now.