• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A pistol to share with my 14yo daughter

Ok People, I need some advice. I have about $375 to spend and need some sage advice. My fourteen year old daughter wants to target practice with me. After buying my HW95 Field Pro, I'm done with public firearms ranges! She wants to learn how to shoot a pistol, and I've taught her basic firearms safety with a 9mm.

Now that I'm going to be target practicing in our protected backyard and garage, I'd like to find a nice target air pistol that both of us can shoot. Some of the criteria that I think are important are:
1. Light weight enough that a 14 year old, 120#, 5'9" girl can handle.
2. If a springer or SSP, easy enough for her to cock without fear of injury.
3. If CO2, easy enough that she could safely load the canister.
4. Accurate enough that we could engage in friendly 10M target if there's anyone around here that does that.
5. Good open sights, could be notch or peep.
6. Prefer something with a very good trigger.
7. Max budget of $375 - $400.

I've been grousing over the FAS 6004 and Crosman Custom Shop 2300KT.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a PCP Crosman Pistol 1701p for a few weeks. It is accurate with 10" LW barrel. Pellet on pellet at 10 yards and 5 shots group 1/4" at 20 yards all day. Lightweight and quite enough for backyard. I usually shoot 10 yards target using LPA MIM rear sight. In addition, I have been taken 3 doves and a few sparrows at 25 yards using PA Red Dot sight. I don't know if i can take squirrels with this one ... 

I can get a Crosman 1701P for $281 delivered, but I don't have a HPA pump. I saw that MRODAIR sells a HPA hand pump for $99, but it costs another $99 to add an inline desiccator. That put's me quite a ways above budget.

Speaking of MRODAIR, they have the CP-1M CO2 repeating target pistol. What's the consensus on MRODAIR products?

I ran across some forum talk about Mountain Air Crosman pistols. Any thoughts on their stuff? They all look pretty nice, but I couldn't tell from their website if the costs posted was for modification of your gun or them doing all the work on a new Crosman, delivered.

I want something that has a very good trigger and isn't too hard to operate or ready for fire. If my daughter cannot ready the pistol for fire because it's too hard to pump, or so heavy she can't aim without support (bags), she'll lose interest fast. She's an independent sort. What turned her off from shooting my HW95 Field Pro was that it's so heavy, she could only shoot it from a bag or rest, and it was way too difficult to close the breech. Plus the fear of losing a finger.... ;-)

Any comments on the Crosman 2300S? What's the triggers like on the Crosman 2300S and 2300KT?

Thanks,

chris

Do all the research you can before/if you decide to try & deal with mrodair. Some good prices tho.

The crosman custom shop Co2 rig are a great value, grab any LW barrel & skip what ever else you like don't likne.

Trigger is the same as the 22xx/discovery rigs. While on the phone with crosman order the 1701P trigger group.

Well w/in your budget, will be fine for the young Lady ( you do know Co2 is temp sensitive right ?) , the LW barrel will hold their own in 10m and just no end of other mods down the road should one of you choose.

A standard old school crosman MK1 or MK II can work - they often group very well - but will be harder for a youngster I think and wont match the custom shop groups.

You are 2-8 weeks (?) out if ordering.

John

Spysir,

I have been reading up on Mrodair. I also find a lot of negative stuff about AoA and PA, too. It's hard to know just how bad vendors are until you have to deal with them firsthand. I know that CO2 is affected by ambient temperature, but once it gets cold outside, we can retreat to the garage which is mostly under grade, and I have a heater.

I need to do a little more research on the Crosman 2300S vs. a Crosman Custom Shop. Other than the power regulator, is there any other real difference in hardware?

I'm still interested in the FAS 6004 and Mrodair CP1-M. For the money, the CP1-M seems to get some very high regards for quality, fit, finish, and accuracy.

Chris

I have a Crosman 1377 that is more accurate than I could ever be, but have tons of fun blasting with the Umarex Colt Commander. 18 shots per mag semi auto- 3 mags worth of shooting per C02. Get an extra mag and a BB speed loader you'll need it. It is accurate enough for presentation drills and double taps of 2 inch spinners at 10 yards.I never bothered official groups on paper. Operates and feels just like a real 1911.

Chris,
One big thing with the custom shop is the price.
I just clicked for a minute there,
2300KT with, long steel breech, LW barrel ( price that somewhere else) , and laser engraved with the young Lady's name ( if you like) =
$97.02 +
.177 or .22 with an LW barrel for under $100 is pretty good and support as well as mods that go on forever.

They didn't have the custom shop when for a lot more money I had to build this for a young Lady

845ac8f351918b474eb33abb9f4acb2c.jpg

If one cared Crosman custom shop at checkout also offers a lifetime warranty - normally 1 year I believe- for another $10.00.

Now as a young boy "I" would want the Crosman 600, best design they ever made and when all set up correctly group very well tho NOT 10m groups.

John

Hi Everyone,

Here's my update. After a lot of research, I decided to go with a Mrodair CP-1M pistol. I'm intrigued by the gun, and I wanted to give it a try for $79. Plus, in light of the fact that my son, who will be a junior this year in college, needed tires for his car, and that took nearly all of the extra cash that I had put away for extra-curricular activities. I'm going to 3d model grips for this pistol based on what would fit my daughter's hands, then print them on a SLA 3d printer.

If Ivy likes this sport, I'll save up and buy her a custom shop Crosman later.

Once I receive the CP-1M, I'll put it through its paces and write up a report on it and my experiences and post it here on Airgun Nation.

Chris

I taught my Grand Kids using BNM 2240 Crosman CO2 pistols. I bought them prebuilt by Sergio at BNM with the 18" moderators, the Marauder style breach and standard marauder style magazines. They were available with either the 11mm dove tail or Weaver style breach so mounting of red dots was a breeze. They can be ordered in different colors. Later added the crosman stocks to make them into small carbines. These were very effective teaching tools for both of my grand kids who have now progressed into Springers and PCP's. The CO2 was really convenient as I also converted them to a tethered system using standard paint ball CO2 tanks. I even went to all of the trouble of converting another to HPA and like watching them pump the gun using my standby High Pressure hand pump. It gets them to pay attention to pressure levels before we moved to some of my better PCP rifles.
The pistols from BNM are backyard friendly with the moderators and give them multiple shots using the magazine feeds. There are also a plethora of mods available aftermarket for the 2240 including triggers, valves, etc. O-rings are also readily available and easy to change when needed. Other styles of open and peep sites can be easily mounted as well as long relief pistol scopes or rifle scopes.

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to give ya'll an update. I received my CP-1M from Mrodair without delay. It was double boxed and was received without damage. I have been waiting to get some time set aside to clean it thoroughly before I shoot it, but the quality for the price is very good. I was honestly surprised. I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

I have big hands. XXL hands from years of using them as tools before using them with tools. So, while gripping the pistol, my hand SNUGLY fits between the palm shelf and the upper tang, but it feels blocky. For my daughter, the grip is too big. So, right now, I'm 3d modeling a replacement grip that will change the grip angle to 11degrees and will be designed after 10m pistol grips. I'm designing one for my hand and one for my daughter. Then I'll print them out on a SLA 3d printer and test them out. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Chris